Quantcast
Torn ACL need some advice - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Torn ACL need some advice

My Ride
    Unit 91 come in 91

Originally posted by RickDaTuner
    May I ask how all you guys tore your ACLs?
    bad footing got the best of me at work. Took a step forward with my right leg, must of put all of my body weight on it, knee hyper extended, heard a loud pop, knee felt like it went out a little and took my leg right out from under me.
    Originally posted by AndyL
    Carrying tools on ice was my first - slipped knee went out fully sideways. Done, full MCL, partial ACL significant PCL.

Got butchered by a now retired wcb surgeon, had 2 more surgeries within the year to fix the first. But had become unstable.

Didn't fix until a hop off a pickup bed blew it out again - massive tears of everything but it was strong enough + damaged enough and I'd gotten educated enough - that it got repaired correctly just through physio.
    That really sucks Andy.

Originally posted by Seikencube
    I tore my left ACL and lateral meniscus bucket tear 2009 playing competitive basketball back in the high school days. I got a big blow to the knee from an opponent, I tried to jog it out down the court and couple steps after knee gave out and i heard a rip.

I tore my right ACL and lateral meniscus bucket tear in 2011 playing competitive Volleyball during an alumni game. Jumped off the side of the wall to save the ball and landed awkwardly. It was a crucial point but I still regretted it.

Prior to surgery:
    Yes Running, Stationary bike with increased levels, squats, lunges and leg press I did before surgery date.

Words of advice: Take the surgery and do not do the patella graft. A couple of my friends had it and has complications with ROM down the road. Listen to your surgeon and be on top of your physiotherapy. It is very important to get your ROM in.

For exercises it really depends on your physiotherapist. Going on the bike or squatting will come in a month or two after. It is more ice rest and flexing your quads and calfs.

Moreover, I recommend LifeMark location near mcloed location. Dr. Timmerman did both my knees and till this day I have no complications what so ever. He did professional MLB players acl's as well. Look up on his bio!
    I've heard hit and miss about the patella graft. Definitely at the gym as much as I can to get strength up doing the biking, lunges and squats and leg press as you've mentioned. I'll keep the lifemark location in mind as well

My Ride
    4x4

That just sounds painful Andy, I can imagine doing it once, 3 times... ouch!
    Sadly was 3 in a year... There were more to cleanup cartilage chunks from instability years...

Surgery actually wasn't bad (other than the butcher job surgery) usually was up walking around same day. * Don't do that unless told you can *

Butchered one - was the only bad recovery 2-3 weeks before I could do a couch to bathroom hobble without crutches

But one of the cleanups at u of c - dr Bray, they encouraged me to get moving - and I walked 17th from 14st to the ship for a drink and back... Pretty sure the pint wasn't recommended

My Ride
    05 GDB V.8 / ZX10R / T1-7L

Originally posted by Shlade

bad footing got the best of me at work. Took a step forward with my right leg, must of put all of my body weight on it, knee hyper extended, heard a loud pop, knee felt like it went out a little and took my leg right out from under me.

Seem liked it's simple everyday movements that get you.

Originally posted by AndyL

Sadly was 3 in a year... There were more to cleanup cartilage chunks from instability years...

Surgery actually wasn't bad (other than the butcher job surgery) usually was up walking around same day. * Don't do that unless told you can *

Butchered one - was the only bad recovery 2-3 weeks before I could do a couch to bathroom hobble without crutches

But one of the cleanups at u of c - dr Bray, they encouraged me to get moving - and I walked 17th from 14st to the ship for a drink and back... Pretty sure the pint wasn't recommended
    Yeah, hope you sued! I can only imagine how that messed with your daily routine.
    Glad to hear you recovered fully

My Ride
    KTM

Did mine playing soccer. (ACL only)

Was able to rehab it pretty well and get back to jogging and most activity prior to surgery although i could feel it wasnt right.

Paid for a MRI and I think I was in for surgery within 14 months.

The surgery was pretty easy and the first couple weeks were a bit of a grind but not terrible. Sleeping was the biggest challenge. I took advantage of all the pain killers haha.

After that it was physio, the more I biked the better I felt so that was my focus. I was back to 100% within 6 months- that being said I still avoid indoor soccer and most sports that involve a court.

My Ride
    something green

I had a torn mcl and pcl from a fall off a mezzanine. I got assigned to the AHS alberta hip and knee clinic. Needless to say that clinic is useless and if you get assigned to that clinic for injury, press your Md for an alternative or go stateside.
    Too loud for Aspen

My Ride
    Unit 91 come in 91

Originally posted by Maxt
    I had a torn mcl and pcl from a fall off a mezzanine. I got assigned to the AHS alberta hip and knee clinic. Needless to say that clinic is useless and if you get assigned to that clinic for injury, press your Md for an alternative or go stateside.
    Noted

My Ride
    Has 5 wheels.

May I ask how all you guys tore your ACLs?
    Team Canada tryouts for Aussie Football. Jumped up to catch the ball and landed on a straight leg. It was odd because I didn't swell like 99% of people do. Trying to kick though (injured plant leg) and fell on my face.

I went to the Acute Knee Injury Clinic at UofC was gold for me. Less than 3 months from injury to surgery and so far a flawless surgery (Dr. Rezansoff).

Hamstring graft all the way. Cadaver most likely to reject and patellar weakens the kneecap. I would say the majority of my post surgery pain was from the graft and not the actual acl.

sorry to break it to you. 4-9 months is for merely recovery. You cannot play any sports for almost a year. You can do physio type exercises pretty much right away. but to be back to normal and active it may be 2 years, but it will never be the same.

I had a bony avulsion connecting to my acl. Luckily my acl was intact... its been over 15 months now and I do training/exercises 4-5 days a week. still not even close to being as good as before. you will always 'feel' it. Doesnt mean pain or discomfort, its almost like a reminder to not fucking fuck up again lol..

sorry im still frustrated by my knee. I dont think I can ever do any competitive thai boxing again
    Originally posted by beyond_ban
    Yo Kanye, ima let you finish, but 50 Cent had the best concert cancellation of all time.

My Ride
    Unit 91 come in 91

Originally posted by Power_Of_Rotary
    sorry to break it to you. 4-9 months is for merely recovery. You cannot play any sports for almost a year. You can do physio type exercises pretty much right away. but to be back to normal and active it may be 2 years, but it will never be the same.

I had a bony avulsion connecting to my acl. Luckily my acl was intact... its been over 15 months now and I do training/exercises 4-5 days a week. still not even close to being as good as before. you will always 'feel' it. Doesnt mean pain or discomfort, its almost like a reminder to not fucking fuck up again lol..

sorry im still frustrated by my knee. I dont think I can ever do any competitive thai boxing again
    Yeah I've heard the road to recovery is tough. I'm hoping to be back at work in full gear and out and about by 5-6 months. Will likely be placed on some fun desk duties a bit after surgery which is fine. I don't play any sports as is anyways only thing I do is just go to the gym. Will likely take up running a bit to strengthen it and bike as well.

But will take it easy for the first while. I just hope to be riding my motorcycle at least by a few months lol

Yeah I've heard the road to recovery is tough. I'm hoping to be back at work in full gear and out and about by 5-6 months. Will likely be placed on some fun desk duties a bit after surgery which is fine. I don't play any sports as is anyways only thing I do is just go to the gym. Will likely take up running a bit to strengthen it and bike as well.

But will take it easy for the first while. I just hope to be riding my motorcycle at least by a few months lol
    You will have no problems riding a motorcycle after 6 months. I was riding after a few months. But again your leg is weak as fuck so dont rely on the injured leg if emergencies happen.
    Originally posted by beyond_ban
    Yo Kanye, ima let you finish, but 50 Cent had the best concert cancellation of all time.

My Ride
    Unit 91 come in 91

See a surgeon on Monday at the Repsol centre. Dr. timmerman.

Read some reviews and I see he's hit or miss in regard to how he is... he's a surgeon end of the day so I don't expect him to be a buddy buddy type guy like all of the reviews on him say. We'll see what happens from there.

My Ride
    Unit 91 come in 91

Well had my surgery on Thursday. Everything went well, the surgeon is very professional and right to the point. Had it performed at Canadian surgery solutions just on 8th ave NW. Did the patella graft.

First night was fine, first day post surgery was quite rough. On day 2 right now and feel a little better. Starting my physio on Tuesday after I see the surgeon.

All I can say is thank god for pain meds...

My Ride
    Altima Se-R

Check out the Banff Sports Medicine Centre site. They have a good section focusing on ACL rehab, including good information on their rehab protocol.

Here's the link
    http://www.banffsportmed.ca/anterior...reconstruction
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    Unit 91 come in 91

2 weeks post surgery on Thursday.

Rehab seems to be going well. Physio therapist told me I'm ahead of the game already with my progress. The folks at the repsol center (talisman) are amazing and know their stuff.

I've got about a 118 degree bend right now assisted with a strap. Able to walk on my own without the brace or crutches but definitelty limping a little still. Pain is still there and so is the swelling. Hoping both those go down significantly over the next couple weeks.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Good luck and keep at it man.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Unit 91 come in 91

Originally posted by ExtraSlow
    Good luck and keep at it man.
    Thanks man! Take good care of your knees haha. This is by far the most painful thing I've ever had to do in my life.

Seeing some of the older folks at the physio place who have done full knee replacements (some both at the same time) is unreal. Couldn't imagine the level of pain for something like that.

My Ride
    Has 5 wheels.

2 weeks post surgery on Thursday.

Rehab seems to be going well. Physio therapist told me I'm ahead of the game already with my progress. The folks at the repsol center (talisman) are amazing and know their stuff.

I've got about a 118 degree bend right now assisted with a strap. Able to walk on my own without the brace or crutches but definitelty limping a little still. Pain is still there and so is the swelling. Hoping both those go down significantly over the next couple weeks.
    Nice work keep it up. Glad you are having good experience with the physios there. I went through 2 and thought they were useless for me. I would be there for 1.5 hrs and only get 15 minutes of their time. I found that to be a lifemark thing.

How's the straightening? That was the challenge for me. 118 bend is stellar so quickly.

My Ride
    Honda

Originally posted by klumsy_tumbler

This. These things are worth their weight in gold. Keeping the swelling down does WONDERS for pain, ROM, and general healing.

Can't emphasize this enough...

My Ride
    Unit 91 come in 91

Originally posted by wintonyk

Nice work keep it up. Glad you are having good experience with the physios there. I went through 2 and thought they were useless for me. I would be there for 1.5 hrs and only get 15 minutes of their time. I found that to be a lifemark thing.

How's the straightening? That was the challenge for me. 118 bend is stellar so quickly.
    Got the straightening thing down first week. Kept hard at it at home. And you're right that seems to be a life mark thing for sure. I'm mostly getting everything done on my own. Just guidance from them as to what I should be doing.

Supposed to start some weight training this week. Hopefully get the quad back to half the size of my other one so they can fit me for a custom brace.
    Originally posted by t_soarer

Can't emphasize this enough...
    Got one right after I finished surgery. This thing has been a life saver.

My Ride
    4x4

Just be cautious as you're in the phase it's easiest to f*ck it up again... It's easy to push too far because it doesn't hurt but realize it's not fully healed. Probably how mine went to sh*t after surgeries, felt good - kept pushing... Then it didn't.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast