Quantcast
Full XPEL Wrap Recommendations - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Full XPEL Wrap Recommendations

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

Quote Originally Posted by The_Rural_Juror View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Stek has been much better than any of my previous installations at Shadow. The hydrophobic coating really helps with cleaning and it looks a bit thinner with less distortion.
    I wonder for Stek, how long the hydrophobic coating lasts on it and if it noticeable degrades after a little while.

I don't drive my car very often, but washing a car with XPEL + Opticoat+ is great. Wintertime is so cool because my car would have noticeable light dirt on it, but if I'm driving on the highway and it flurries, the snow flurries actually clean the dirt off the car and it's like I just washed it! I don't know how to really explain it but I seen it happen more than a few times and it amazed me.

My Ride
    SL550, P100DL, F-450, FIAT

I’m surprised now one has mentions Ultimate Auto Protection, Renee is so anal about her work, she does some of the best work in the city.
    Professionally Retired

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Quote Originally Posted by C4S View Post
    I don't get it too .. Just do whatever I was told to ..

Have my whole car wrap, then ceramic coat ... so, the ceramic coat is protecting the Xpel, not really protecting the paint?

The ceramic coating also make the Xpel "harden", not as flexible, so the "edge" peer off a bit.. *_*

Now I am wondering does it really help if apply the ceramic coat on wheel and brake ... (Black/gun metal wheels do chipped easily)
    My understanding is ceramic provides next to no mechanical protection for the car.

Chemical protection yes. Hydrophobic and easier to clean yes.

Ceramic is a wax alternative rather than a PPF like product.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Neo-Liberal Anarchist Mobile

Quote Originally Posted by Disoblige View Post
    I wonder for Stek, how long the hydrophobic coating lasts on it and if it noticeable degrades after a little while.

I don't drive my car very often, but washing a car with XPEL + Opticoat+ is great. Wintertime is so cool because my car would have noticeable light dirt on it, but if I'm driving on the highway and it flurries, the snow flurries actually clean the dirt off the car and it's like I just washed it! I don't know how to really explain it but I seen it happen more than a few times and it amazed me.
    So far it has been easier to get road bugs off. Probably 1/3 of the time compared to my last 3M installation. However, there has been one small tear from an impact.
    The other thing that I had ShadowTint put in was ExoShield to guard against rock chips. It has probably saved me from a few chips, however I don't Deerfoot much.

I would try Renee's shop out if I hadn't already had so much history with Shadow and if I wasn't already sold on Stek.

My Ride
    GLK, G37X & S5

Quote Originally Posted by C4S View Post
    I don't get it too .. Just do whatever I was told to ..

Have my whole car wrap, then ceramic coat ... so, the ceramic coat is protecting the Xpel, not really protecting the paint?

The ceramic coating also make the Xpel "harden", not as flexible, so the "edge" peer off a bit.. *_*

Now I am wondering does it really help if apply the ceramic coat on wheel and brake ... (Black/gun metal wheels do chipped easily)
    A couple of years ago when nanocoatings blew up, many people were using SI02 or "hard" coatings on PPF. Putting this type of coating on PPF affects the PPF (in a bad way) and also durability does not last nearly as long as on the painted surface. Last year, a whack of big coating manufacturers came out with PPF coatings, which are soft coatings that last about 1-2 years. Xpel also came out with their own coating lol.

A good PPF coating has a few advantages.

- added chemical resistance. (ie, bugs left on it long enough will not harm the PPF)
    - better protection water spots. PPF in nature does not offer good protection against water spots.
    - added gloss and slickness
    - last but not least, ease of washing

STEK's hydrophobic is great but like any other hydrophobic coatings, it degrades after our winter here. The reason is the same as why hydrophobic degrades with coating on paint. STEK has cleaner and booster to bring them back.

Some exciting things are happening in the coating industry next year. Will be sharing them in a few months once my 16 months testing is over.

My Ride

So @rlim891 , are you saying for example putting Opticoat+ on XPEL affects the PPF in a bad way? Just curious because that's what I have now.

I know people like Renee used to say that putting coating on film is useless. Not sure if her stance has changed since.

My Ride
    GLK, G37X & S5

Quote Originally Posted by Disoblige View Post
    So @rlim891 , are you saying for example putting Opticoat+ on XPEL affects the PPF in a bad way? Just curious because that's what I have now.

I know people like Renee used to say that putting coating on film is useless. Not sure if her stance has changed since.
    Opticoat Pro Plus is a 2 step, Pro and Plus.. Different syringes. Most certified guys don't apply "Pro" to ppf. It's the "Plus" that's suppose to be use for ppf.

I don't think Renbe has actually tried professional grade ppf coatings, I must pay her a visit one of these days

My Ride

Oh okay. I wasn't sure so I just went back to check. It was an "Opti-Coat Pro+ Package" that was added to the PPF.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

If you have a new model car and looking for PPF, and willing to let them keep the car for a week to measure it out to create their kits, Shadow Tinting will do it for material cost. Mostly looking for Audi and Mercedes but check with them to see if your car is something they need.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

Buying a used infiniti from Mercedes downtown this week and they recommended their 3M front wrap for the hood at a price of $1400 - seems overly excessive or is that the price you pay these days?

Quote Originally Posted by nzwasp View Post
    Buying a used infiniti from Mercedes downtown this week and they recommended their 3M front wrap for the hood at a price of $1400 - seems overly excessive or is that the price you pay these days?
    That is about 3-4 times what a hood wrap should cost. Dealerships are typically the worst possible places to get PPE done - take it to a third party shop. You can get partial hood, bumper, and mirrors done for $400-600ish, just the hood for $1400 is ridiculous.

For around $1400 you could wrap the entire front end including full hood, mirrors, A pillars, partial roof, and partial doors.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 07-29-2020 at 10:16 AM.

I wrapped the entire front clip + roof on my Jeep SRT for around ~$2000 (I think) @ tint tech. $1400 for just half the front hood is a ripoff.

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

Mercedes were offering $1300 for the 24" of hood, mirrors and fenders. I told them I was going to take it elsewhere and they said "we will price match" so i sent them the link for the same thing for $429 in calgary. Havent heard back yet.

My Ride
    This and that.

Not many places can come close to this deal but I just had a local Benz dealership do the entire front hood, bumper, headlights, fenders, rocker panels and side mirrors wrapped for $1000.

My Ride
    Non Baller Vehicles

Quote Originally Posted by Chester View Post
    I wrapped the entire front clip + roof on my Jeep SRT for around ~$2000 (I think) @ tint tech. $1400 for just half the front hood is a ripoff.
    +1 for TintTech, great guys and great work

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Even 2,000 sounds like way too much to me. That’s more than 30% more than what I paid on my Sierra for the same coverage ( and probably a bigger wrap).
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

They came back and would match at $429 - so 2 foot of hood, mirrors, and fenders for $429 however then they told me that they would also offer me the bumper protection and match that price at 749$ which they were previously offering for $2000

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

Played that price match game with Acura one time and the quality of the 3M work they did was trash. And they used the cheapest film available (not self healing) and it pitted like crazy. I'd never have a dealer install film again, even if it was free.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Quote Originally Posted by nzwasp View Post
    They came back and would match at $429 - so 2 foot of hood, mirrors, and fenders for $429 however then they told me that they would also offer me the bumper protection and match that price at 749$ which they were previously offering for $2000
    Go elsewhere and get the full hood wrapped. The 2 foot garbage looks so terrible. As soon as you get any kind of discoloration or grit stuck along the edge its such a ugly eyesore. Full hood or bust.

Does it not bother you that they were first willing to completely screw you and have you overpay by a factor of 3-4 for the work, and only after you threaten to leave does the price magically come back down to earth? For me personally I can't bring myself to deal with someone who tries that, and I would still go elsewhere and reward a company with honest pricing. On top of that, the installers the dealerships have are usually pretty terrible (especially if they're doing it for 1/4 of the original price) unless they are farming it out, at which point you might as well just cut out the middle man. I'd also be double checking they gave me the exact film they said they would be (I.e. Xpel Ultimate), since they will probably try to cut costs if they are agreeing to a lower/fair price.

I'll also echo the above comment to not get half the hood done - do all of it or none of it. Especially on lighter colored cars, the line accumulates dust and becomes very obvious very quickly. I had half hood 3M on an older white car and I will never do that again. The slightest discoloration in the film stands out like a sore thumb, as does the dust line. Discoloration I don't think is a big issue anymore if you go with the premium films that have 10 year color warranties (another reason to make sure the dealer isn't giving you cheap film if you go that route).
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 07-29-2020 at 03:50 PM.

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 13 ... LastLast