Quantcast
School me in home security options and prices - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: School me in home security options and prices

Originally posted by brandon

They clearly state that they offer 500 minutes of motion recording footage, there is a difference. Considering you are putting this camera in a highly trafficked area, and that most camera settings are set for 5-15s pre and post record once motion is detected, I honestly think you're going to get no where near that, and if it's highly trafficked at night then your battery will be toast even sooner.

But hey, I'm just a skeptic. Post back on it in a few months and let us know how it works.
    ^ plus throw in some cold weather cycles into the mix.

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

Originally posted by Thaco
    play hardball with vivint, you can get full service for minimal dollars if you do... work them down like crazy before the install, then when the gaurantee period is almost up, tell them it costs too much and come rip it out, they'll drop it more, a buddy got the full package for very very cheap.

Can you provide more info on what he got and whats he paying so I can use as leverage
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

Thaco is offline sucks off little boys (ya, don't fuck with rage2 bitch!!!)
    My Ride
    Rage2

Originally posted by dj_rice

Can you provide more info on what he got and whats he paying so I can use as leverage
    nope, that's all i know. He said he had the door to door guy there for like 2 hours going over everything and each thing he pushed a little bit and by the time the guy was writing up the final contract he didn't realize how much he'd promised but couldn't back out then.
    User title molested by Rage2.

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's not the size that matters, it's the taste it leaves in your mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    No logic, thought, input, etc from cult member...

Thaco is offline sucks off little boys (ya, don't fuck with rage2 bitch!!!)
    My Ride
    Rage2

Originally posted by brandon

They clearly state that they offer 500 minutes of motion recording footage, there is a difference. Considering you are putting this camera in a highly trafficked area, and that most camera settings are set for 5-15s pre and post record once motion is detected, I honestly think you're going to get no where near that, and if it's highly trafficked at night then your battery will be toast even sooner.

But hey, I'm just a skeptic. Post back on it in a few months and let us know how it works.
    obviously there are different situations where this would not be ideal, if you're trying to set up a camera in time's square then obviously this wont be ideal... nothing SD card based would work for you, so even if the batteries were not in the equation, it wouldn't work for your "situation"... run wires...

I'm not going to get in an argument over this, its just an option, if it works for you, give it a shot, if not, don't, its just a suggestion based on the topic at hand... not like this is my campaign, i don't really care if you buy it or not...
    Last edited by Thaco; 04-11-2017 at 06:40 AM.
    User title molested by Rage2.

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    It's not the size that matters, it's the taste it leaves in your mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    No logic, thought, input, etc from cult member...

My Ride
    85 toyota 1 ton, AE86, 04 Taco

Has anyone tried Think Protection i hear the add everyday on the radio?

Bump...looking to get a security system installed this week if anyone has any more input.

Likely a central monitored system with 3 door sensors.
    Bonuses would be window sensors, camera, and being able to control it via a mobile phone.

Likely leaning towards United or Vivint at the moment.

Thanks

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by nagooro View Post
    Bump...looking to get a security system installed this week if anyone has any more input.

Likely a central monitored system with 3 door sensors.
    Bonuses would be window sensors, camera, and being able to control it via a mobile phone.

Likely leaning towards United or Vivint at the moment.

Thanks
    I personally would go with United. If you are going with Vivint, you able to use my referral code?
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

100% serious. Do you really want a security system? What problem are you trying to solve?
    I had a system and had no issues with it and now I have no system and I'm very happy.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    100% serious. Do you really want a security system? What problem are you trying to solve?
    I had a system and had no issues with it and now I have no system and I'm very happy.
    This. 21 years in our home, no security system, no issues over those 21 years. Good friends of ours followed us to this same community 19 years ago, have had a security system for all of those years and haven't had a problem that we're aware of either. Apparently I have not been schooled correctly on what a security system can do for me. My parents, 33 years in their home, no security system, no issues.
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

The companies that sell these have all sorts of bogus reasons why they make sense but they are hardly unbiased observers to the transaction.

Home insurance DOES go down a tiny amount. For me it was fifty bucks a year roughly. Check with your insurance company.

I don't think they reduce your chance of a break-in significantly. A few window stickers and a yard sign probably does just as much. I kept my yard sign when I cancelled.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Quote Originally Posted by dj_rice View Post
    I personally would go with United. If you are going with Vivint, you able to use my referral code?
    Since you're first to ask, yeah if I go with Vivint ill use your referral. Pm it to me.

Just out of curiosity, you're with Vivint, but recommend United? How come?

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by nagooro View Post
    Since you're first to ask, yeah if I go with Vivint ill use your referral. Pm it to me.

Just out of curiosity, you're with Vivint, but recommend United? How come?
    Cause United is slightly cheaper and provides the same amount of great service/is local to Calgary. If we had United in Edmonton, I would of went with them.

Lemme know when you end up signing up and using the code, as I might cancel my service if they can't sign me up with what all the new customer sign ups are getting, new panels and door bell cameras.
    Last edited by dj_rice; 10-10-2017 at 05:40 AM.

How is the doorbell camera and outdoor camera with Vivint? In terms of quality, speed in which you can answer the doorbell or open the camera app, is it cloud storage? . I think I would only go with Vivint if the cameras/doorbell are decent quality. Otherwise probably go with united and set that stuff up myself.

Quote Originally Posted by imranm View Post
    If you want DYI, Smartthings (samsung) has a pretty good offering using ZWAVE.

I just installed some Ring Stick up cameras around the exterior of my home to monitor traffic around the house.
    +1 for Smarthings and DIY

Security Systems are a thing of the past as once you have it, you realize that the only thing they really do to try to call you when the alarm is tripped. I found it so stressful when you trip the security system as i always found myself racing to disarm it because you're worried the police will get dispatched. On vacations it had the reverse effect of piece of mind because I got a number of calls where my father had tripped the alarm accidentally coming over to pick up my mail and having to find a way to contact your security company in a foreign country is a nightmare.

My Ride
    AMGGGGGGsixtythree

If you're looking into more self-monitoring, I'd suggest something like HAI/LEVITON Omni Lte (most basic) module. App function, lights, music, security, cameras, garage door, thermostats, doors etc. Little bit more expensive than a basic "security system" but the functionality and customization goes a long long way.

My Ride
    210000 km oldie

I am always paranoid about forgetting to close the garage door so every night I would go check before bed. Would like to install something so I can check from elsewhere. A friend left his door open last week and found out someone took their garage door openers.

My Ride
    Chevy Colorado ZR2

Quote Originally Posted by bigbadboss101 View Post
    I am always paranoid about forgetting to close the garage door so every night I would go check before bed. Would like to install something so I can check from elsewhere. A friend left his door open last week and found out someone took their garage door openers.
    I have had good luck with foscam wireless IP cameras. Got one mounted inside the garage with sensor trip and it takes 4 photos. You can also set it up to record when sensor is tripped, either cloud subscription or DIY with a server/computer.

I think you can use a regular door sensor to monitor this. You can probably use most smartphone DIY solutions to easily monitor this.

My Ride
    AMGGGGGGsixtythree

camera. middle of garage near the back. check on the phone anytime you're unsure.

or... have something like MyQ that lets you know if open/closed and open/close it.

My Ride
    rally pig

always have this fear too whenever we leave the house for work, so I bought a 3rd D-link DCS-932L and installed it in the garage to check remotely via the mydlink app.
    I've also configured it so that it emails me whenever there's any motion detected.

I also setup a spare PC to continuously stream our 4 cameras that I can remote into easily
    Last edited by taemo; 10-22-2017 at 10:48 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2