Quantcast
What about Maxime Bernier? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What about Maxime Bernier?

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Default What about Maxime Bernier?

While I am clearly a conservative at heart, it is quite clear that conservatism is on the decline worldwide.

Initially I was interested in and supportive of O'Leary, but I am starting to see that his ideals do not match mine.

Bernier is running on a much more libertarian angle, and that is appealing. Because truthfully, I don't give a crap what somebody else does, but they better not impose their will on me (via laws, regulations, or taxes, basically by force of gov).

I certainly support Kellie Leitch, but I don't know if her policies/position/attitude have what it takes to lead the conservative party to a majority.

Beyond is a smart group of people, who do you want as the C party leader? Besides Rona Ambrose (who really should be the official leader).

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

I don't see Leitch having a chance to win any sort of majority or close minority in an election and there are a few O'Leary ideas I don't agree with. Would certainly be happy with Bernier as the leader, I think he would have a good chance of attracting enough support for a majority.

Aside from these three, every other candidate is just cluttering the ballot and vote splitting.
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

My Ride
    Bicycle

If you want Conservatives to be in power again, Bernier is the only choice.

Everyone else cater to the niche.

I think Ambrose is good but not leadership material.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 02-23-2017 at 11:24 AM.

click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version

My Ride
    starts with a screwdriver...

Max or Erin O Toole are the only 2 real options. They both have the drive and grind to get things done while avoiding the back and forth battle with other candidates. O Toole said it best when he stated that he wouldnt get into battle with other PC candidates as all it did was benefit the Liberals .
    I MAKE BALLER CARS MORE BALLER.....

My Ride
    Bikes.Car.Truck

Originally posted by Xtrema
    If you want Conservatives to be in power again, Bernier is the only choice.
    Agree 100%. As of right now, he is the only one to be looking at.

O'leary would need to step it up to compete with him.

As far as I'm concerned, Bernier is THE guy for the job.
    Looking around
    Wondering what became
    Of what I once knew

I am coming around to Max myself... I think of him being conservative in more of the right ways rather than in what I can only describe as "petty" ways. I like the more libertarian ideas over the bible belt style conservatism. He has the best chance of any conservative in Quebec as well I think.

I will be watching closely but he could very well be my choice if he is leading into the next election.

So far, I'm ok with Bernier.

I get the feeling that O'Leary is going to back out.

He seems like Harper without the religion. Lots of experience. He's going to get savaged by both sides over his mishandling of documents. His being divorced might hinder him from being nominated but probably wouldn't matter in the general election.

Based on my limited research, Bernier would be my first choice. Raitt after him and maybe Chong or Scheer.

My Ride
    Buffalo Truck & An Angry Kitty

Max B. said he wants to do away with equalization. How exactly is he going to sell THAT to Quebec? And without Quebec it's pretty hard to win a majority. So is he going to lie to Quebec or to the rest of the country?
    "Masked Bandit is a gateway drug for frugal spending." - Unknown303

Originally posted by Masked Bandit
    Max B. said he wants to do away with equalization. How exactly is he going to sell THAT to Quebec? And without Quebec it's pretty hard to win a majority. So is he going to lie to Quebec or to the rest of the country?
    Harper won without Quebec. Bernier is from Quebec and will surely get at least 1-2 ridings there.

Originally posted by Masked Bandit
    I don't think it is so much about doing away with equalization, but more revamping it, which depending on how it is presented, it could still be feasible. I know where he is from, which is an area called Beauce, is fairly heavily separatist, so the fact he is one of their own could sway people who normally wouldn't vote for the cons over the usual suspects.

Not sure one can call the Beauce separatist, but it is definitely a Conservative enclave regardless int that province.

Originally posted by kertejud2
    Not sure one can call the Beauce separatist, but it is definitely a Conservative enclave regardless int that province.
    I lived and worked there in Beauceville for four years back in the late 80's/early 90's and it definitely was a Bastien of separatism back then, and I imagine it hasn't changed much. They are actually amazing warm and wonderful people who took me in as one of their own, but being very rural and extremely Catholic, they definitely are more conservative than most.

Last edited by Amysicle; 12-06-2019 at 09:02 PM.

My Ride
    Silverado

Default Re: What about Maxime Bernier?

Originally posted by HiTempguy1
    While I am clearly a conservative at heart, it is quite clear that conservatism is on the decline .
    You voted NDP right?

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Default Re: Re: What about Maxime Bernier?

Originally posted by dirtsniffer

You voted NDP right?
    Protest vote to be rid of the PC's. There are a lot of people right now like myself that regret doing the exact same thing. The NDP platform, as presented, was nothing like what they've done. Should have listened to people like phreak. A hard lesson learned. I have no problem admitting that

I always find this humorous about Beyond, I've posted here close to once a day for 12 years, and a person can't remember any society posts of how conservative I am, but remember I voted NDP once (while not remembering any of the context).

My Ride
    Silverado

"A man could build a thousand bridges and suck one cock. He will be know as a cock sucker, not a bridge builder."
    Last time I bring it up though

My Ride
    Model S

Sounds like Canada's Ron Paul. Too bad about the climate change denial though. And deregulation of utilities has really never done anything but fuck over citizens.

His stupid briefcase is going to be the "Hillary's emails" of the election. Maybe Bernie can show up at one of the debates to say everybody is sick of hearing about the damn briefcase.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast