Quantcast
Questtrade Portfolio IQ? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Questtrade Portfolio IQ?

My Ride
    2020 Subaru Forester Sport

Default Questtrade Portfolio IQ?

What are your guy's thoughts on this product? Why or why not invest money with them? I am currently with the big banks for various accounts, and although I am temped to move there myself, at the moment I am thinking of moving wife's money into it. She has a TFSA that's maxed out in a cash type account, and we would rather try to make some money with it. Any reason to scrap this idea and go with the big banks?

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

There are other similar products, and it's actually insanely easy to do this kind of index-fun ETF investing yourself.

I haven't done a full comparison of them, but WealthSimple, and the Tangerine "portfolio" products are the same basic idea. I know there are others.

I made a thread a while back about "RoboAdvisors" that never got much response.

My take is that for a lot of people, these "passively managed" portfolio options are probably appropriate for a huge number of people. Maybe everyone.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Yeah I took a look into all these a couple of weeks ago. They do what they say, at great cost. Usually it's a .50% charge, which is ridiculous.

Might as well just go with TD e-series funds at that point and rebalance once a year.

My Ride

Originally posted by suntan
    Yeah I took a look into all these a couple of weeks ago. They do what they say, at great cost. Usually it's a .50% charge, which is ridiculous.

Might as well just go with TD e-series funds at that point and rebalance once a year.
    But .5% is better than 2% most banks charge right?

Can you explain what rebalance really is? I keep hearing about it, and everyone is saying questrade does this for you...where as other products you have to do yourself.

Rebalancing is simply keeping your asset categories in proper proportion. So if you want 30/30/30/20 exposure for instance, every year you could sell some stuff and buy the others. It keeps your risk profile consistent.

So the thing with the fees is that if you can do something like questrade self service then your fees should be pretty minimal for buying etfs and rebalancing occasionally.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-17-2019 at 04:52 PM.

Just stay with your current bank and get a self directed RRSP and TFSA account. Then invest in an appropriate balance of funds. A safe one would be 40% short term bond ETF's and 60% global equities ETF's. Then once a year rebalance so you're always 40% and 60%. Done problem solved...

My Ride

Originally posted by Sugarphreak

Right now I am trying out Wealthsimple, and what I am seeing in just a short period has been making me happy
    Thanks for the info. I actually opened a WealthSimple account as well after doing some more research and just dropped 40k into RRSP there yesterday. Going to wait and see how it goes. Opened wife's TFSA account as well and will see how that goes as well. Glad to hear you like them so far, hope it goes well.

The self managed stuff I might do later, just need to get familiar with everything first and when I feel comfortable will do the swap.

Thanks

This is a shit investment, plain and simple

I tried this out for about 2 years with a 40K investment, and they earned a negligible amount on it during this time. Total waste of time, don't bother with this program at all. Then to add insult to injury, when I cancelled out of it, those mother fuckers moved all of the unsold stock into my account and I had to pay commissions to get rid of it.

Right now I am trying out Wealthsimple, and what I am seeing in just a short period has been making me happy
    LOL, stick money in recent bull market, what happens?

Any fucking dunce can make money in a bull market.

I don't know what you are on about, I make a healthy amount in my self directed account every year. I expect that a managed account should be returning 3-5% minimum.

2 years of no returns is totally unacceptable
    So when was the two years, it's all the same, you were and still are invested in ETFs, maybe even the same ETFs. 2015-2016 (to right after the election) virtually all stock markets were flat.

So, what you are saying is you'd be totally happy with a severely under-performing investment because your perception of the entire stock market for the past 2 years is that it was flat?
    What you fail to understand is that you moved your stuff from one place to another, but that money was reinvested into the exact same shit.

Originally posted by suntan
    So when was the two years, it's all the same, you were and still are invested in ETFs, maybe even the same ETFs. 2015-2016 (to right after the election) virtually all stock markets were flat.
    Can you show evidence of this? Also that short wavelength variations were essentially flat?

Originally posted by J-hop
    Can you show evidence of this? Also that short wavelength variations were essentially flat?
    https://www.ishares.com/us/products/...tf#chartDialog

It's not flat and the market did gain if you look at it year over year but if you're being difficult and pick certain points you can argue just about anything because the markets go up/down.

Originally posted by mazdavirgin

https://www.ishares.com/us/products/...tf#chartDialog

It's not flat and the market did gain if you look at it year over year but if you're being difficult and pick certain points you can argue just about anything because the markets go up/down.
    Exactly my point