Quantcast
Performance All-Season Tires, looking for recommendations - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Performance All-Season Tires, looking for recommendations

My Ride
    RX300

Default Performance All-Season Tires, looking for recommendations

I ran a set of Toyo T1R's for quite some time for my summer wheels and really liked those but my last time around I decided to go with All-Seasons which were more in line with my driving needs and didn't need a full on Summer Tire, plus with all-season I got to swap them on early and took them off later in the season.

My recent tires I ran some Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 and although I was quite happy with them, I was disappointed in their tread life. They last me only 3 seasons(about 25xxxkm compared to the Toyos that lasted me 4 seasons) and were pretty much down to their wires.

Was looking at the Hankook Ventus S1 or Continental Extreme Contact DWS 06
    Hoping you guys can recommend a good set of performance all season I should look into as I am looking to get a new set probably at the end of March, early April.

Thanks in advance!
    trying is the first step towards failure

My Ride
    V8s

I have General G-Max AS-03, and couldn't be happier for the price. I wanted to push my summer wheel season a little later, and when I got caught in the snow with them I was blown away at how much grip they had, given their great dry/warm performance.

I would expect them to last at least 25k, but I wouldn't expect 50k out of them. They are a performance-ish tire, after all.

My Ride
    957,958,NC1,NC3,E90,ITR

Don't the A/S 3's have a 70,000 km warranty? I would try to get some of the money back if you only got 25k km out of a set.

My Ride
    G35

Sumitomo HTR A/S P02

My Ride
    G37X

Originally posted by cjblair
    I have General G-Max AS-03, and couldn't be happier for the price. I wanted to push my summer wheel season a little later, and when I got caught in the snow with them I was blown away at how much grip they had, given their great dry/warm performance.

I would expect them to last at least 25k, but I wouldn't expect 50k out of them. They are a performance-ish tire, after all.
    I have these tires and am quite pleased with their performance too.

Performance all seasons are nice for every day use with a bit of spirited driving mixed in, but if you often push them hard they will never last as long...

My Ride
    AP1

Read good things about the Continental DWS. They have D W S engraved on the rubber to let you know when the tire has worn out beyond its safe limits to be driven on snow and in the wet.

A limitation to this is that you may need to change out your tires if its worn past the "W" mark (if your car is a daily and you do a lot of driving in unexpected wet weather).

They also have a treadwear warranty.

If you have a dedicated set of winter tires, check out the Firestone Firehawk Indy500 (not to be confused with the wide oval indy500). They look like rebranded Bridgestone Potenza Adrenalin 003 which are sold outside North America. I'm planning on getting a set since they have good reviews and they're pretty cheap.
    Last edited by EF9 Sedan; 02-27-2017 at 12:45 AM.

My Ride
    E93 335is, F32 435xi, '16 Denali 1500

General g max as-03
    Ran them on my old e36 in summer and winter and my 240, do quite well for the price and even bite snow decently, a customer at a former shop I worked at used them for his winter wheels too because he didn't like how winter tires handled on the majority of drive roads we have during "winter"

My Ride
    Slow Injected

Anyone else have similar tread life as OP with the A/S 3's? Was thinking of getting those considering it is supposed to be really good for tread life.

My Ride
    957,958,NC1,NC3,E90,ITR

Originally posted by EF9 Sedan
    If you have a dedicated set of winter tires, check out the Firestone Firehawk Indy500 (not to be confused with the wide oval indy500). They look like rebranded Bridgestone Potenza Adrenalin 003 which are sold outside North America. I'm planning on getting a set since they have good reviews and they're pretty cheap.
    I got a set of these on the GTI last year. Can't really beat them for the price.

My Ride
    G37X

Yup firestone firehawks are awesome tires. Great in the rain and sticky in the summer. I loved my Nitto Motivos.

My Ride
    AWD grandpa wagon

Originally posted by gyu
    Anyone else have similar tread life as OP with the A/S 3's? Was thinking of getting those considering it is supposed to be really good for tread life.
    I used the A/S 3 for a season (summer and fall) on my previous Impreza. I didn't get a chance to drive as much as the OP did. Very impressive tires.

Perhaps the wear rate is improved on the A/S 3 Plus?

My Ride
    RX300

Thanks for the info guys keep them coming.

Originally posted by cjblair

Originally posted by relyt92
    I have these tires and am quite pleased with their performance too.
    Originally posted by italianstylez
    General g max as-03
    Ran them on my old e36 in summer and winter and my 240, do quite well for the price and even bite snow decently, a customer at a former shop I worked at used them for his winter wheels too because he didn't like how winter tires handled on the majority of drive roads we have during "winter"
    May look more into the General G Max

Originally posted by gyu
    Don't get me wrong I loved the A/S 3s they drove nice and were pretty quiet. Was just disappointed by the tread life.

Originally posted by HiSpec

I used the A/S 3 for a season (summer and fall) on my previous Impreza. I didn't get a chance to drive as much as the OP did. Very impressive tires.

Perhaps the wear rate is improved on the A/S 3 Plus?
    You might be onto something as it looks like the A/S 3+ are getting much better ratings then the old A/S 3. tread wear rating went from 6.6 to 9.3

A/S 3+

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...Y-Speed+Rated)

A/S 3

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...Y-Speed+Rated)

My Ride
    210000 km oldie

The DWS06 is on sale at Canadian Tires, 25% off. Nicely rated and you get a mail in rebate.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/surve...jsp?type=UHPAS

http://www.continentaltirepromotions.ca/

My Ride
    something green

Originally posted by bigbadboss101
    The DWS06 is on sale at Canadian Tires, 25% off. Nicely rated and you get a mail in rebate.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/surve...jsp?type=UHPAS

http://www.continentaltirepromotions.ca/
    Yeah the CT deal is pretty good, ordered another set of 315/275's for the Jeep today, 1200.00 unmounted. I'll burn off my old tires this summer then mount them for next winter.
    Too loud for Aspen

On a similar note, how would a performance "touring" tire differ from "all seasons"? Would that be another category to look into if cross shopping?

Originally posted by nobb
    On a similar note, how would a performance "touring" tire differ from "all seasons"? Would that be another category to look into if cross shopping?
    Touring tires would be best described as an a regular all season tire that is designed to be stable under higher speed smooth flowing type driving but not really made for spirited cornering while performance all seasons will take a bit more aggression better.

A standard all season is more for your mom and pop speed limit type driver. They will maximize ride quality and wear typically but are not as stable when pushed harder.

My Ride
    Nissans and a Subaru

What are the opinions out there on the off brands like Delinte or Hercules? Is it a "you get what you pay for" type thing or are they sort of decent for the price? Or should i just stick to tier 1 and 2 brands?

Originally posted by alien
    What are the opinions out there on the off brands like Delinte or Hercules? Is it a "you get what you pay for" type thing or are they sort of decent for the price? Or should i just stick to tier 1 and 2 brands?
    All depends on your own personal situation and expectations... Obviously a Hercules is not a Michelin, but if you are a starving student who needs something usable yet reasonable, the they make way mkre sense than if you are an oil exec with your R8 looking to rip the lines off of the road and don't care about the cost...

My Ride
    RX300

Thanks Bob and Kenny at UrbanX, went with the General G-Max and had them put on today. haven't driven much yet but so far so good, it's a pretty quiet tire.