Quantcast
Blackberry KEYone? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 7 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Blackberry KEYone?

Default Blackberry KEYone?

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-17-2019 at 04:28 PM.

My Ride
    Perpetual Test Drive

I don't think you're too crazy. It looks a little weird in pictures but the specs seem decent. Will have to see what the actual build quality is. Depending on the price outright I might pick one up as a back up/just to play around with. I do wish more companies would put the LED indicator light in their phone. And I also do long for the feel of the keyboard on my old BlackBerry 9900.
    War is Peace. Freedom is Slavery. Ignorance is Strength.

My Ride
    teslo murdel free

Marijuana is bad but blackberry is still a want??

My Ride
    This and that.

I will be getting one as soon as I can get my hands on it. Looks slick and I love the physical keyboard. Passport was one of my favourite phones minus the OS10. So Android on a similar looking phone will be sick.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Bold was the last phone they built in house... quality of the z10 and q10 was junk, I'm over it. Finally caved a year and a half ago and got an iPhone 6s +, I'm a believer now

My Ride
    LEXUS LX470

I'm posting from a classic and will be getting the keyone as soon as it's available
    Tap, Rack, BANG!

Very weak processor and low RAM stand out at first glance. Not sure what camera sensor it's using or what autofocus method(s). Every phone Blackberry has put out recently has been pretty bad. Personally I'd pass unless the only thing you care about is that physical keyboard. The few reviews I found are not very positive. Blackberry is like the HMV of the phone world haha. They somehow keep coming out with new phones. If you try it and like it though that's all that matters at the end of the day.

Every Galaxy and Google phone have had notification lights for years if you like that feature. Lighting up the entire screen for you to see you got a message is ridiculous IMO. What about a Pixel? Rock solid OS, pure Android smoothness, notification light, best camera available, and comes in 2 sizes.

The S8 should be good too, everything is known about it already pretty much. It will be the first phone with the SD835.

My Ride
    This and that.

3GB RAM isn't really low though. I'd say it's on par with most flagships. It could be better by today's standards for sure. Battery is huge supposedly as well and 50% charge in 30 minutes. The camera sensor is same as that of Google Pixel's so it's going to be pretty great. Blackberry isn't making them anymore, company called TCL has taken over the hardware production.
    Last edited by shakalaka; 02-27-2017 at 11:24 PM.

Originally posted by shakalaka
    3GB RAM isn't really low though. I'd say it's on par with most flagships. Battery is huge supposedly as well and 50% charge in 30 minutes. The camera sensor is same as that of Google Pixel's so it's going to be pretty great. Blackberry isn't making them anymore, company called TCL has taken over the hardware production.
    2016 Flagships all used 4GB ram minimum, the GS8 will be 6GB as will I suspect most 2017 flagships. The SD635 is a weak processor as well.

The battery is 3505 mAh which is pretty standard. Roughly the same as a Note, Pixel XL, etc. Phones like the S7 edge, Mate 8, several Motorola models, Zenphone, etc. all have larger batteries yet, up to 5,000 mAh. Quickcharge has been around in various forms in the android world for quite a while now. My Pixel XL charges to 50% in ~30 mins as well and has a 3450mAh battery. The GS8 should be even faster, likely using Qualcomms quick charge 3.0.

Google's camera software is what makes it as good as it is, specifically it's zero-lag HDR implementation. Google also uses the CPU's DSP for image processing which nobody else is doing right now as far as I know. It is objectively the best smartphone camera available at the moment.

I don't think this phone is trying to compete with any flagships, but if he's used to a Galaxy S(X) he is probably used to a certain level of spec.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 02-27-2017 at 11:40 PM.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
    Blackberry is like the HMV of the phone world haha. They somehow keep coming out with new phones.
    I'm surprised they're still making phones seeing as they literally have 0 market share now.

http://www.recode.net/2017/2/26/1474...et-share-chart

Every quarter they keep saying they're done making phones, and bam another random new phone.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Why they haven't just sold off their naming rights to samsung to make a line of business targeted phones is beyond me.

I think its gotten to the point where their name might be worth nothing, a couple years ago they might have had a shot.

What a delusional company.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

Lots of good reviews for the Priv, including my own.
    I'd think this would be similar.

http://forums.beyond.ca/st2/blackber...=&pagenumber=3

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by rage2
    Every quarter they keep saying they're done making phones, and bam another random new phone.
    They are like Nokia now, just license the name to Chinese phone makers.

BB as a secured Android platform it's good. Nokia also just promised monthly patches as well. I'm surprised the market leaders still doesn't do monthly patches.

As for KeyOne, it's not for me. I need they remake the Priv with SD835.

I'm surprised they're still making phones seeing as they literally have 0 market share now.

http://www.recode.net/2017/2/26/1474...et-share-chart

Haha 0.0% market share - doesn't get too much lower than that!

You're right though, they "bow out" every year and then out comes their newest phone.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by Xtrema
    BB as a secured Android platform it's good. Nokia also just promised monthly patches as well. I'm surprised the market leaders still doesn't do monthly patches.
    The problem is 2 fold. Android has to deal with fragmentation thanks to custom Android builds. Stock Android has monthly security updates, kudos for Google for implementing this last year and really moving Android towards a proper secure platform. Manufactures that want their own flavor of Android needs to implement the monthly fixes that Google pushes out, but there's a large engineering cost to that. Really, only Samsung is making any money in the Android smartphone space, that's why everyone else is so slow in getting their updates out because they're not making enough money to sustain that. It really sucks for everyone else, they NEED fragmented android to be different to gain market share, but they can't afford to maintain said custom builds.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Originally posted by Sugarphreak
    The Google phone has been on my mind, but again, not just feeling it. The Daydream VR they launched is pretty shitty compared to the S7 + Gear VR. I also feel like the S7 has a better camera than the Pixel. At the end of the day, the pixel doesn't strike me as being special... kind of like a Hyundai. I know they are pretty well spec'd, but it doesn't bring the wow factor I am looking for in my ownership experience.

Have you tried out a Pixel for any length of time? It is probably the fastest and smoothest phone available. Zero issues, bugs, or lag and no TouchWiz. Monthly security updates, guaranteed latest versions of android, and the hassle-free google ownership experience with free device replacement for a year. 2-3 day battery life is easily achievable. It's also Google's baby, so if anything does come up, you can bet they will be on top of it. The assistant is good, and there is 24/7 support built right into the settings menu (chat or call) if you have issues.

The Pixel has a better camera, better video stabilization, and a better HDR implementation than the GS7, however if there is some subjective element you prefer, then fair enough. The Pixel also is the only phone to offer free unlimited full resolution photo and video storage including 4K video, which is awesome if you do lots of that, and you can easily get away with the cheaper 32GB of storage.

VR is in it's infancy everywhere. I don't think either implementation is especially good. Daydream is cool (and comes with a remote), and there will be lots of effort put into developing the platform going forward. If VR is a big deal to you, you probably shouldn't be looking at any of the phone-based solutions. The screen on the Pixel XL is made by Samsung and is the same as the GS7, so that part of the experience should be identical. The experience is largely dependent on the apps/games, other than that if you have a comfortable headset they are all pretty much the same.

One area the Samsung wins everywhere is style - the GS(X) phones are always stunning. No other smartphone out there can compete with something like the GS7 Edge or what the GS8 is likely to be like IMHO. They look amazing and build quality is top notch.

Anyways unless you have completely ruled it out, I would at least check it out beyond fiddling with it at the store if you have the opportunity (and maybe you already have).

My Ride
    Toyota, VQ35DE, B58

Default thought priv has monthly update

The problem is 2 fold. Android has to deal with fragmentation thanks to custom Android builds. Stock Android has monthly security updates, kudos for Google for implementing this last year and really moving Android towards a proper secure platform. Manufactures that want their own flavor of Android needs to implement the monthly fixes that Google pushes out, but there's a large engineering cost to that. Really, only Samsung is making any money in the Android smartphone space, that's why everyone else is so slow in getting their updates out because they're not making enough money to sustain that. It really sucks for everyone else, they NEED fragmented android to be different to gain market share, but they can't afford to maintain said custom builds.
    I thought PRIV/BB push out monthly security update from google as well? (I think PRIV is viable option, once it has received android 7.1 - coming in March, I believe?)

"There are known knowns. These are things we know that we know. There are known unknowns. That is to say, there are things that we know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we don't know we don't know."
    -- Donald Rumsfeld

My Ride
    Bicycle

Default Re: thought priv has monthly update

Originally posted by KLCC

I thought PRIV/BB push out monthly security update from google as well? (I think PRIV is viable option, once it has received android 7.1 - coming in March, I believe?)
    PRIV does. All BB Android get monthly update on the 3rd of every month.

Rage is just saying why most Android manufacturs don't patch their OS.

I have not idea when PRIV get nougat. At this point I don't really care if they keep patching 6.

Google is pulling Google Now launcher this month and still locked Pixel Launcher and Assistants to only Pixel phones (yeah I know I can side load). I'm not sure if they want Android to fragment even further.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 02-28-2017 at 12:34 PM.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 ... LastLast