Quantcast
Mumps - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Mumps

Default Mumps

Mumps - so it's in the news, should not have to be but it is. I've had the mumps but I am an early 60's baby so it is to be expected. None of my kids have had mumps and shouldn't ever have to worry about having the mumps in the future as well. I don't remember anything of the mumps but from reading articles, it was most likely quite an unpleasant experience.

That said, I'm curious as to how many on beyond have had the mumps in the recent past few years up to now or their kids have had the mumps? Now I know it's asking a lot but I would hope this thread can remain focused on the single question above.

My Ride
    KTM

CBE sent out a notification to parents to warn them out the outbreak. Of course I think it will only be a problem for the anti-vaxers.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Yeah, if you have been vaccinated, is that vaccine pretty effective? We vaccinate the shit out of our family, but I know some are more effective than others.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

How long is the vaccine effective for? Doesn't mumps need boosters? I got a booster when my kid got immunized. Fucking shoulder hurt for a week. haha.

Default Re: Mumps

Originally posted by speedog
    Mumps - so it's in the news, should not have to be but it is. I've had the mumps but I am an early 60's baby so it is to be expected. None of my kids have had mumps and shouldn't ever have to worry about having the mumps in the future as well. I don't remember anything of the mumps but from reading articles, it was most likely quite an unpleasant experience.

That said, I'm curious as to how many on beyond have had the mumps in the recent past few years up to now or their kids have had the mumps? Now I know it's asking a lot but I would hope this thread can remain focused on the single question above.
    Why shouldn't they have to be concerned with Mumps?

The vaccine is not 100% efective

MMR vaccine is very safe and effective. The mumps component of the MMR vaccine is about 88% (range: 66-95%) effective when a person gets two doses; one dose is about 78% (range: 49%−92%) effective.

My Ride
    2018 Lexus IS350 AWD F-Sport 3

There was an "outbreak" back in 2007/2008 and I, along with 50% of my Junior hockey team contracted it. I was foolish enough to go into work in the early stages, before I was diagnosed, a co-worker of mine also contracted it after coming in contact with me.

I had my shots when I was a kid, but still contracted it.
    These opinions are entirely my own and do not represent any other person or organization.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Originally posted by benyl
    How long is the vaccine effective for? Doesn't mumps need boosters? I got a booster when my kid got immunized. Fucking shoulder hurt for a week. haha.
    You only need 2 shots, but most people born before 1996 only got one as a kid.

I'm 90% sure I got a second shot in high school, after the 2 shots became standard... at least that's when I became autistic

My Ride
    KTM

Originally posted by Tik-Tok
    I'm 90% sure I got a second shot in high school, after the 2 shots became standard... at least that's when I became autistic
    Awesome.

My Ride

I was also one of the people that contracted it in the 2007 outbreak.... after getting vaccinated.

Was not so happy about getting pseudo-quarantined in my dorm room, and the virus itself was even less fun.

Had one round of shots in grade 2, and then another at the university (trying to mitigate the risk of outbreak).

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

Anti vaxers kill people.
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

Had mumps when i was 7-8. Pretty much everyone in my extended family ended up with it. I had gotten the one shot when I was a kid. Unpleasant indeed.

My Ride
    dumpster trains

Honestly this should not happen in modern society, its true that vaccines are not 100% effective, and some require boosters over time (such as HEP B and Tetanus). But by and large this outbreak is contributed by anti vaxxer stupidity.
    Originally posted by speedog
    So more beyond armchair activism at work again?

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-17-2019 at 04:50 PM.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Originally posted by MalibuStacy
    Honestly this should not happen in modern society, its true that vaccines are not 100% effective, and some require boosters over time (such as HEP B and Tetanus). But by and large this outbreak is contributed by anti vaxxer stupidity.
    Vaccines are effective due to "herd immunity". The effective rates quoted are on a person by person basis. Factoring in the odds of other people getting sick, and you are right, by and large, if people are vaccinated, these things shouldn't happen.

Originally posted by Sugarphreak
    A huge number of the Canucks have it right now

...but they didn't get enough points for a playoff run anyway, so they kind of deserve it

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    Anti vaxers kill people.
    It's true. It's the anti-vaccine idiots that have led to a lot of this. In some ways they are doing us a favor as it's leading to population control of the idiots in society but I feel for their unvaccinated children who weren't given the choice and may have to live with the consequences of their parents poor decision makin.