Quantcast
Energy Efficiency Alberta - Page 16 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 6 15 16 17 ... LastLast

Thread: Energy Efficiency Alberta

Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Why do you keep trying to have an intelligent conversation with the Gestalt troll?
    Haha I don’t know man, every once in a while I see a glimmer of him being resonable and willing to discuss and debate key aspects of his position and then all glimmer is lost and the conversation ends up in him trying to make personal attacks.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Quote Originally Posted by J-hop View Post
    Haha I don’t know man, every once in a while I see a glimmer of him being resonable and willing to discuss and debate key aspects of his position and then all glimmer is lost and the conversation ends up in him trying to make personal attacks.
    He is a professional troll. Not some amateur.

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

Quote Originally Posted by speedog View Post
    The big shocker when I looked back into my bill history is our water consumption dropping 41% with my daughter moving out - shit that girl used a lot of water. Average consumption for 3 adults is currently just under 15 cubic meters a month, with my daughter living here (4 people) average was 25 cubic meters a month - she was good for 10 cubic meters a month, that's 330 liters a day (72 imperial gallons)! Nuts.
    On a similar note, when my parents (3 ppl in house) moved from the 20+ L/flush toilets to 6L, consumption dropped by a similar amount just from flushing alone. It was a really good move since that was when CoC was doing toilet rebates so the toilets were essentially half off.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I'm scared of the low flow toilets until my kids can learn to flush every time, and maybe use less than a metre of TP to wipe after they tinkle. That water is so much easier than a clogged drain (again).
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    (0^oo^0)~

Quote Originally Posted by jwslam View Post
    On a similar note, when my parents (3 ppl in house) moved from the 20+ L/flush toilets to 6L, consumption dropped by a similar amount just from flushing alone. It was a really good move since that was when CoC was doing toilet rebates so the toilets were essentially half off.
    I've thought about that too. I wonder what consumption would be if we had the ones where you could do a half flush.

I do most of my pooping at work

Mine work great. Kohler Wellworth. The nice thing is if you keep holding down the handle when you flush, it does some extra flushing. For the bowl-fillers.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    I'm scared of the low flow toilets until my kids can learn to flush every time, and maybe use less than a metre of TP to wipe after they tinkle. That water is so much easier than a clogged drain (again).
    I get scared of them cause every once in a while, you get the quadruple duce instead of the double and you look at that coiled bastard likes its going to jump out of the toilet at you.

Quote Originally Posted by rx7boi View Post
    I do most of my pooping at work
    Me too During holidays my water usage at home goes waaaaay up.

My Ride
    Cayenne S, 335i Cab

The thermostat replacement program from the Efficiency program has been a bit of a pain the butt for us.

- Aug 2017 - inspector came and replaced all light bulbs etc. Says my thermostat is old and qualifies for replacement. Mine is a basic programmable one (weekdays vs weekends only). I tried to replace it with a Ecobee myself, but its a high voltage / 2 wire setup, so it tough w/o running more wires from the furnace to the thermostat. I was very excited when he said say we qualify for the program, but he also said there's a huge backlog so they'll contact me in a few months to schedule a time.

- Jan 2018 - Waited 4 months and nothing. Finally called them. They said they don't have my file in the system. Apparently the inspector that came never logged the job ( upload pictures, etc.), so I wasn't even in the queue. After many back and forth with the different departments, the program manager or supervisor said he'll call me within a week to update.

- Feb 2018 - no call in a month. Called to follow-up. No update, but asked if I have a programmable thermostat. I said I have a very basic one, and they said then I don't qualify for the replacement. I mentioned the inspector said it does and took pictures and everything, and her response was " well he's not a licensed thermostat professional so he wouldn't know. It's not his job " This made NO sense to me because that is his job.. but whatever.

- March 2018 - got an email saying I qualify for the thermostat replacement program and asked me to schedule a time. I thought great, maybe they found the file/pictures .. so I did.

- April 2018 - on Tuesday I took the afternoon off work and waited for the guy. He showed up, looked at my thermostat and was like bad news buddy, you have a programmable. I can't offer you a new one. Ok whatever. Took a half day for nothing. So I asked him to look at my furnace anyway while he's there to see if it's a big job to install an Ecobee ( I really want one..). He took a look and said it's a big job, but then said I'll have no problem with Nest. He says Nest is 2-wire and very easy to install, and that I should just go get a Nest. Same day I went to Home depot to look at getting a Nest, and showed the HD guy there my setup. The guy immediately like oh no Nest won't work. I have a high voltage system. .. so I'm glad I asked the HD guy.. otherwise would've wasted my time AGAIN.

Anyway.. No new thermostat for me. Do you guys know if there's a Ssart thermostat that works on a high voltage system? Sometimes we are home by 4pm, sometimes we are not home until 11pm, so we really love the location sensing feature of the smart thermostat, or even the ability to turn on the heat on the phone before heading home. I think that actually saved us alot of money in our last house...

My Ride
    2014 Fit Sport

The Toto Eco Drake is a winner too. No dual-flush mechanism needed.

We had builder-grade Briggs toilets from the late 90's in our last house and they were using a ridiculous amount of water for such a weak flush (5 or 6 gallons IIRC). The Toto has a much more powerful flush at only 1.28 gpf. We used the $124 AquaSource (1.28 gpf, single mechanism) from Lowe's in the other bathrooms and even that was a huge improvement over the originals.

Quote Originally Posted by RX_EVOLV View Post
    The thermostat replacement program from the Efficiency program has been a bit of a pain the butt for us.

- Aug 2017 - inspector came and replaced all light bulbs etc. Says my thermostat is old and qualifies for replacement. Mine is a basic programmable one (weekdays vs weekends only). I tried to replace it with a Ecobee myself, but its a high voltage / 2 wire setup, so it tough w/o running more wires from the furnace to the thermostat. I was very excited when he said say we qualify for the program, but he also said there's a huge backlog so they'll contact me in a few months to schedule a time.

- Jan 2018 - Waited 4 months and nothing. Finally called them. They said they don't have my file in the system. Apparently the inspector that came never logged the job ( upload pictures, etc.), so I wasn't even in the queue. After many back and forth with the different departments, the program manager or supervisor said he'll call me within a week to update.

- Feb 2018 - no call in a month. Called to follow-up. No update, but asked if I have a programmable thermostat. I said I have a very basic one, and they said then I don't qualify for the replacement. I mentioned the inspector said it does and took pictures and everything, and her response was " well he's not a licensed thermostat professional so he wouldn't know. It's not his job " This made NO sense to me because that is his job.. but whatever.

- March 2018 - got an email saying I qualify for the thermostat replacement program and asked me to schedule a time. I thought great, maybe they found the file/pictures .. so I did.

- April 2018 - on Tuesday I took the afternoon off work and waited for the guy. He showed up, looked at my thermostat and was like bad news buddy, you have a programmable. I can't offer you a new one. Ok whatever. Took a half day for nothing. So I asked him to look at my furnace anyway while he's there to see if it's a big job to install an Ecobee ( I really want one..). He took a look and said it's a big job, but then said I'll have no problem with Nest. He says Nest is 2-wire and very easy to install, and that I should just go get a Nest. Same day I went to Home depot to look at getting a Nest, and showed the HD guy there my setup. The guy immediately like oh no Nest won't work. I have a high voltage system. .. so I'm glad I asked the HD guy.. otherwise would've wasted my time AGAIN.

Anyway.. No new thermostat for me. Do you guys know if there's a Ssart thermostat that works on a high voltage system? Sometimes we are home by 4pm, sometimes we are not home until 11pm, so we really love the location sensing feature of the smart thermostat, or even the ability to turn on the heat on the phone before heading home. I think that actually saved us alot of money in our last house...
    Seems to be a decent amount of info on how to convert to low voltage if you think you might want to try it. It sounds like you can run a relay(ex: Aube RC840T-240)

No idea whether there are smart thermostats that can run on highvoltage lines but I would think there would be for things like baseboard/electric heating?

Just got a new Ecobee installed by Ecofit. They originally came to replace my garage thermostat, but when the installer came he said he's not allowed to install them in garages. He changed up my basement thermostat instead (which was already a programmable one, but basic builder edition).

Glad to recoup some of my carbon levy. Guy told me I can still pick up another thermostat and get a $100 rebate for the garage one, and I just might do that.
    ---

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by kenny View Post
    Guy told me I can still pick up another thermostat and get a $100 rebate for the garage one, and I just might do that.
    People have been buying 2 of them, getting $200 in rebates, and returning 1 back. Or return both back and just make $200.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Quote Originally Posted by benyl View Post
    Homeserver on 24/7
    Two furnace fans running 24/7
    HRV running every 20 minutes
    Water pumps to heat the bathroom floors and garage as well as DHW.
    dehumifier running in the garage in the winter
    oh, wife and kids at home! haha
    HRV. ours is on a strange humidity switch, seesm to either always run or never run. is yours on some sort of timer? i looked on amazon for hrv timer, and nothing. I would prefer that.

thanks

My Ride
    PA-20,R65ls

You should never include government and efficiency in the same sentence.

I applied for the energy efficiency program the day it came out (my account number with them is sub 100), I have yet to have them come to my house and do anything. Unfortunately as an early adapter whos had their whole house switched over to leds, smart thermostats, and energy efficeient appliances for years I get nothing in the form of rebates.

Id like to put more insulation in my attic but I have to hire a contractor and pay 4 times as much as just going and doing it myself in a few hours..

This entire system is a joke, wheres my EV incentives, charger rebates... again why should I be an early adopter and pay full price for a car when the government could come out with an incentive program in 6 months and cost me thousands..

The carbon tax is now being used to service our debts instead of being revenue neutral...whens the next election...

Quote Originally Posted by Aerobat View Post
    The carbon tax is now being used to service our debts instead of being revenue neutral.
    I suspect that was the plan from day 1.

I also wonder if the UCP will ditch the carbon tax, or if it will turn out to be like the Chretian "The GST is gone" lie.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Quote Originally Posted by Seth1968 View Post
    I also wonder if the UCP will ditch the carbon tax, or if it will turn out to be like the Chretian "The GST is gone" lie.
    They'll ditch it, and then the Feds will force it back on us. And then we'll waste a bunch of money fighting them about it.

Ya that sounds about right.

My Ride
    Exploded.

Waste of time. Scheduled specifically for a thermostat install for 6 weeks and someone came today for light fixtures. FFS.

My Ride
    2022 X2M

Quote Originally Posted by RX_EVOLV View Post
    Anyway.. No new thermostat for me. Do you guys know if there's a Ssart thermostat that works on a high voltage system? Sometimes we are home by 4pm, sometimes we are not home until 11pm, so we really lovle the location sensing feature of the smart thermostat, or even the ability to turn on the heat on the phone before heading home. I think that actually saved us alot of money in our last house...
    https://getmysa.com

As far as I know this is one of the only ones out there. Have no clue if it’s decent or not.
    E .· ` ' / ·. F
    Your tears fuel me

Do you need a contractor that is from the Energy Alberta website to perform work on blowing insulation into your attic to recieve the rebate? Just wondering because it seems to be a hassle vs. just doing yourself and submitting receipts.

Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 6 15 16 17 ... LastLast