Quantcast
HID bulbs burn out once a year - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: HID bulbs burn out once a year

My Ride
    Fozzy XT

Default HID question

My 07 forester goes through HID bulbs about once a year, is this normal? I bought online through Absolute HID and they've replaced them 3 times now, but I'm questioning if it's the bulbs or my car. Is there an issue that could lead to my car going through once a year, or are they just not great bulbs?

My Ride
    Silverado

stock headlights?

My Ride
    Fozzy XT

I think so- D2S HID bulbs

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

Because aftermarket China

Back when I had HID's many moons ago, I bought from a company Canadian company called GT HID now defunct. (I'm sure they were China made kits) A bit more expensive than the rest but they lasted me a good 6-7 years before the ballast needed to be replaced. Never had to replace a bulb when I had them though.
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

My Ride
    Silverado

I am not sure that 07 foresters came with HIDs or projector housings. if not, take them out.

I checked and they didn't come with projectors. definitely take them out.
    Last edited by dirtsniffer; 03-06-2017 at 03:26 PM.

My Ride
    Fozzy XT

Originally posted by dirtsniffer
    I am not sure that 07 foresters came with HIDs or projector housings. if not, take them out.

I checked and they didn't come with projectors. definitely take them out.
    Thanks, are they burning up because I'm using the wrong bulbs? They installed fine and looked like the bulbs I removed- which bulbs would be correct?

Are you running DRLs? I know Subarus for sure run low voltage DRLs. HID ballasts can't handle low voltage so you need to disable the DRLs.

As mentioned in another thread I have zero problems with my cheap Chinese HIDs but I've also disabled my DRLs

My Ride
    Fozzy XT

Lights are always on, not sure how to disable- is this my problem? Should they be disabled?

Originally posted by aaronck
    Lights are always on, not sure how to disable- is this my problem? Should they be disabled?

Yea that is your problem. You may have noticed sometimes you get a subtle flicker of the lights. Flickering is horrible for HIDs as is running the ballasts at a low voltage. That is why you keep burning them up.

Two options
    (1) disable - google, should be pretty simple like a bend/insult a pin on the switch type deal

(2) always turn your lights all the way on when you drive

My Ride
    Fozzy XT

Originally posted by J-hop

Yea that is your problem. You may have noticed sometimes you get a subtle flicker of the lights. Flickering is horrible for HIDs as is running the ballasts at a low voltage. That is why you keep burning them up.

Two options
    (1) disable - google, should be pretty simple like a bend/insult a pin on the switch type deal

(2) always turn your lights all the way on when you drive
    I always have my lights on, (they shut off when I turn my car off)
    So they are always on, is this the same thing?

Also thanks for the input!

I always have my lights on, (they shut off when I turn my car off)
    So they are always on, is this the same thing?

Also thanks for the input!
    Can't remember on my 08 but do you mean you always have the headlight switch on the stalk so that all lights are always on. Ie your parking lights are on, the dash lights are on etc? I think to do this you twist all the way ccw (towards the front of the car)

My Ride
    Fozzy XT

Originally posted by J-hop

Can't remember on my 08 but do you mean you always have the headlight switch on the stalk so that all lights are always on. Ie your parking lights are on, the dash lights are on etc? I think to do this you twist all the way ccw (towards the front of the car)
    Yup, just leave it in the on position- They go on and off with the ignition

My Ride
    Silverado

Thanks, are they burning up because I'm using the wrong bulbs? They installed fine and looked like the bulbs I removed- which bulbs would be correct?
    no, you should remove them because you shouldn't be using HIDs in reflector housings.

My Ride
    C43 Coupe

no, you should remove them because you shouldn't be using HIDs in reflector housings.
    This. So annoying to see people on the road with HIDs with incorrect housing. It's almost as annoying as people driving with high beams on

My Ride
    Fozzy XT

The only lights that fit are the D2S lights, were they modded? I'll try and take apart tonight, if it was changed, it was before I owned it...

My Ride
    2004 3.5, 2004 5.4, 1999 4.0

honestly I gave up on HIDs. I had so many spare parts and I went through all of them. I got a set of LED headlights from mopac and haven't had an issue with them. Well worth the money.

Yup, just leave it in the on position- They go on and off with the ignition
    Interesting, they should be running at full power then. Unless the have an auto dimming function but I don't think 07s did.

Out of curiosity How bad is the scatter? I haven't seen the 07 forester lights in person but I'm guessing they aren't projectors. Do you have a perfect crisp cutoff or are you spraying everywhere?

My Ride
    Silverado

Spraying everywhere.

You guys are giving him a lot of crap for his HID headlights when a 2007 Forester came with OEM Reflector (D2R) HID Headlamps as an option.

If your car came with oem HID headlamps from factory, they are going to be aimed and properly designed for HID bulbs. Just get a quality bulb from Philips or Sylvania.

Otherwise, the bulb you need is a 9006 for low beam halogen and since you say your car fits D2S (which you mean D2R) just get a name brand bulb and not a cheapy one.

Good luck!

My Ride
    05 GDB V.8 / ZX10R / T1-7L

Definitely get a brand name D2R bulb, Phillips, Osram, Syvania. You can get them for about $80 per.
    Just don't buy Chinese D2R bulbs they cause voltage instabilities in the light arc which wreaks havoc on the ballasts.

You'll need to keep an eye out on Amazon if you purchase from there as counterfeit bulbs are being sold as legit units.

Ali as a precaution and peace of mind also have your charging system tested as an under performing charge system will kill HID bulbs as wel.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast