Thread: TD ripping off customers

My Ride
    '13 MazdaSpeed 3, Zoom Zoom!

Default TD ripping off customers

Very similar to wellsfargo story in US

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/b...-law-1.4016569

Good reason to switch to credit union
    My Karma ran over your Dogma

No need to point out TD, as this occurs at just about all banks and large corporations.

Governments ignore it, and if the Feds do something about it now, it will just be political grandstanding and empty promises to temporarily placate the masses. Reason being, banks, corporate, and governemt are the same enity.

Capitalism gone awry.

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

Originally posted by Seth1968
    No need to point out TD, as this occurs at just about all banks and large corporations.

Governments ignore it, and if the Feds do something about it now, it will just be political grandstanding and empty promises to temporarily placate the masses. Reason being, banks, corporate, and governemt are the same enity.

Capitalism gone awry.
    Exactly.

Every bank does it. That doesn't make it right, but it is what it is.

Pretty standard practice from what I've always heard. Just keep an eye on your account and you're good.

My Ride
    2018 Civic Si coupe

^exactly, credit unions and credit card companies can lie/steal too, or just plain F up. One time Safeway had a problem that every debit transaction was double charged for a day, it was Safeway's systems doing it, so the bank wasn't even at fault. Had I not noticed on my statement I might never had gotten the money back, and groceries aren't cheap!

My Ride
    FB6

This is not the same as the Wells Fargo story. The Wells Fargo story had employees opening accounts without the customer knowing and the bank having tons of inactive accounts.

This article is more about up-selling and convincing people to upgrade their accounts, which is fairly standard today.

My Ride
    '13 MazdaSpeed 3, Zoom Zoom!

Technical errors are understandable, but entrenched, shady, unethically over charging people is different.

Would be preferred if this lack of ethical behavior was not encouraged, or somehow regulated away.
    My Karma ran over your Dogma

Interesting read and quite the coincidence then that we had with investments my deceased uncle had at two different banks. He had investments at BMO and after we got the death certificate, there were no issues with BMO handling everything properly. The other bank, TD, well that has been quite a different story and struggle. TD was given the same information as BMO and yet re-invested his monies when their anniversary date came due despite instructions from our lawyer to not do such. TD absolutely refused to release any funds saying they were locked in again and there would be a huge penalty to get the funds out. No amount of discussions between my Mom and the TD would get the TD to change it's stance and it was only after a letter from our lawyer to TD's head office that a couriered check showed up two seats later at my Mom's place for all monies invested. Such bullshit.
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride
    starts with a screwdriver...

Banks make a living on keeping people poor. Fees and rates are what make the world go round. Its sad but its reality 100%. As someone who has worked in finance and witnessed first hand how banks get things done and approve people that they know will default is pretty scary but completely accepted.
    I MAKE BALLER CARS MORE BALLER.....

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

I'm confused about how these people were supposedly forced to engage in unethical behavior by their employer. Did TD somehow force them to remain employed or somehow keep them from getting a job somewhere else? Seems like a lot of people who put a bigger paycheck before their own values/morals (if they truly had an issue with what they were doing to start with).
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

Yup, upselling to premium ultra awesome service with replacement warranty. Which the vast majority of people don't need.

Creating fictional accounts, fictional money, fictional people, and things that don't exist is something else entirely. The US tends to create fiction a lot more than Canada.
    Cocoa $11,000 per ton.

My Ride
    (0^oo^0)~

TD is constantly trying to get me to use their travel Visa and I just tell them I already have another primary credit card.

They also try to get me to increase my credit limit, spouting BS like how it's great I've been pre-approved. Again I typically tell them I'm happy with how my account is set up and I don't need any further financial advice from them since I can handle my shit.

Originally posted by FraserB
    I'm confused about how these people were supposedly forced to engage in unethical behavior by their employer. Did TD somehow force them to remain employed or somehow keep them from getting a job somewhere else? Seems like a lot of people who put a bigger paycheck before their own values/morals (if they truly had an issue with what they were doing to start with).
    yeah but when they quit and get another job it'll most likely be at a lower wage, and when they complain about not having enough money you'll say they should stop being lazy and get a better job, and the cycle of blame will continue

TD rules. Keep $5k in your account, everything is free.

Not sure how you can be upsold from that.

This happens in ANY industry involved in sales. Buying a car, a house, or anything else with a sales guy you will get ripped off if you let people up-sell you useless crap. The essence of sales is to get you to buy stuff you don't really need. Our society is so coddled. Reminds me of the lady who went on TV a while ago to complain about being pressured into buying hundreds of dollars of cosmetics at the airport. Just say no.

I like to use the line, no spreak Engrish... and walk away..

My Ride
    NC1

Originally posted by Manhattan
    This happens in ANY industry involved in sales. Buying a car, a house, or anything else with a sales guy you will get ripped off if you let people up-sell you useless crap. The essence of sales is to get you to buy stuff you don't really need. Our society is so coddled. Reminds me of the lady who went on TV a while ago to complain about being pressured into buying hundreds of dollars of cosmetics at the airport. Just say no.
    Yup.

I think TD is great.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-17-2019 at 04:48 PM.

Originally posted by FraserB
    It's pretty simple. Unobtainable target goals and the means to easily upgrade people without any proof required that they actually agreed to it. The banks know what they were doing and what the result would be with a certain number their employees. Their numbers get improved illegally and they get to blame their employees on an individual basis.

My Ride
    NC1

SP^^^

you are the exception, aren't ya? all the time!
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast