Quantcast
Social Taboo - Regret having children - Page 12 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 11 12 13 LastLast

Thread: Social Taboo - Regret having children

Originally posted by speedog

I must be doing it wrong as my parents both turn 82 this year and are still living on their own in their home.
    Uh huh.

So it's only matter of more time before you'll do what Kill said.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Originally posted by baygirl

I wonder if boys are easier??
    More likely to commit suicide, more likely to do drugs, more likely to end up in jail. All by a significant margin.

So I dunno And I'm being honest here, not trying to be rude or mean.

Originally posted by dezmarez

At 65?!
    They comin fo ya!!!!

Originally posted by Seth1968
    Those that thought about having kids and chose to do so, claim the reason has something to do with enriching their life. (selfishness?)

Those that thought about having kids and chose not to, claim the reason has something to do with not wanting to fuck up their life (selfishness?)

Either way, like any emotional response it's not good or bad, but rather, subjective. Well, one could even argue that logic is subjective aside from mathematics.
    Pretty much sums up the whole debate, well put.

Originally posted by Seth1968
    Either way, like any emotional response it's not good or bad, but rather, subjective. Well, one could even argue that logic is subjective aside from mathematics.
    Here's an article about longer life expectancy for people with children and some mathematics behind it.

https://www.theguardian.com/science/...earch-suggests

Originally posted by Quizzes

Here's an article about longer life expectancy for people with children and some mathematics behind it.

https://www.theguardian.com/science/...earch-suggests
    lol basically the summary of that entire article is that kids can help drag out the final count down one or two years longer by providing care and preventing you from dieing.

Parenthood could boost your chances of living longer in your later years, according researchers who believe the effect could be down to children helping with care and support.
    I don't know, I think that is pretty shit. I'd rather not drag those years out to be honest. I don't look at Misao Okawa (RIP) and think life goals....

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-17-2019 at 04:57 PM.

Originally posted by Sugarphreak

Wait... how are you the same age as your parents?
    It's magic.

Originally posted by baygirl

The biggest problem is mood swings and tears(keep in mind she is only 11 but has PMS). Here is an example:
    Me: Why are you crying?
    Her: The contestant on Deal or No Deal didn't take the deal.
    Me: Yes she did.
    Her: (still crying) WHY DID SHE TAKE THE DEAL?

So by no means is it shitty behavior, it is just trying to get a handle on emotions and hormone changes, and the proper way to handle it. damn it, I wonder if boys are easier??
    We had two boys followed by a girl and we always tell people that if we had had our girl first then we wouldn't have had any more. She was way more of a handful then the two boys combined.

My Ride
    Highlander

We had two boys followed by a girl and we always tell people that if we had had our girl first then we wouldn't have had any more. She was way more of a handful then the two boys combined.
    My parents used to say something like this about me. It still to this day pisses me off, especially since I am now by far the easier/more helpful/less pain in the ass adult giving them way less to worry about. Just be careful how often she hears you say that, it sticks with them.

My Ride
    NC1

But i think you white folks should have more kids because you know us immigrants (not me but my cousins etc.) are pumping them out 4-6 kids while the locals are capping it at 2-3
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    rs4, ram, 675f3

True story, I wanted one but got convinced to have 2 and now we are have a third by accident. All my other friends are 1 and done if they even have kids.

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

Originally posted by J-hop

My understanding is being a parent is a brutal unrelenting workload that for at least the first few years destroys your soul. But I think because the average parent views any sort of regret as taboo you see potential parents getting misled and being blindsided in the end about the amount of work.
    Ha ha ha ha ha. This is arguably the most out there thing said in the thread so far. It is actually quite draining for the mother for the first 6 months but for the father it's almost business as usual seeing the baby wants nothing to do with you and only its mother. As with anything in life there's ups and downs and good and bad but destroying your soul? WTF?

Originally posted by heavyD

Ha ha ha ha ha. This is arguably the most out there thing said in the thread so far. It is actually quite draining for the mother for the first 6 months but for the father it's almost business as usual seeing the baby wants nothing to do with you and only its mother. As with anything in life there's ups and downs and good and bad but destroying your soul? WTF?
    lol, how many parents complain about the amount of work, lack of sleep, sacrificing their personal aspirations, etc etc etc? Every parent I've talked to.... and every time I think are you kidding me? This is a surprise to you?

Having a kid should be like having a job you have to work 12 hr days but pays you a million a year. You understand going in the work is going to be brutal but the payoff is massive so there isn't any reason to complain. Unless it's destroyed you inside lol
    Last edited by J-hop; 03-18-2017 at 06:54 PM.

My Ride
    2005 F350

thats funny. having kids made me want to be a better person. leading by example instead of "do as i say, not as i do" sort of thing. sure it's a lot of work but for me, it all pays off when i see them succeed at something new, or learn something new.

being dad is way easier than being mom though. haha!

most of my group of friends have kids. some of the kids are older, some are still babies. do i regret having my kids? maybe a fleeting thought here or there. would i go back and do something different? no. i don't think i was ready for kids until my early thirties.

like most people, i may exaggerate the hardships of being a parent sometimes just for shits and giggles but i love being a dad. definitely not soul killers, thats for sure.
    "Make Canada a better place, punch a Canuck fan in the face" - Jim Rome

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

Originally posted by J-hop

lol, how many parents complain about the amount of work, lack of sleep, sacrificing their personal aspirations, etc etc etc? Every parent I've talked to.... and every time I think are you kidding me? This is a surprise to you?

Having a kid should be like having a job you have to work 12 hr days but pays you a million a year. You understand going in the work is going to be brutal but the payoff is massive so there isn't any reason to complain. Unless it's destroyed you inside lol
    I think some of those people are maybe exaggerating the amount of work and lack of sleep as most people exaggerate anything they consider a hardship. As I said before the only person losing sleep is the mother who has to get out of bed all night to feed the baby. But she's not working for at least nine months. Maybe if the guy is a light sleeper it's a bother but it was a breeze for me.

Maybe because my wife has been really good with the kids but IMO having kids for me has been easier than advertised. In fact we got a puppy last February and IMO raising this dog has been more trying for me. With all the sports activities they are in now there's no doubt that they are costing us $$$ and all the practices mean we are on the go some weeknights and weekends but it's pretty cool watching your kids excel at football, lacrosse, etc.

Everyone is different but I feel having kids made me a better person. I was a selfish and self-absorbed adult prior and having kids has made me strive to be better at my job and be a better person as a role model for them. There have been so many days over the past decade where I would come home from work after a bad day for them to greet me with their hugs and smiles make it all easy to forget the bad stuff.

Oh gotta go. I can hear my boys fighting downstairs.
    Last edited by heavyD; 03-19-2017 at 02:07 PM.

I think you're right. A lot of parents like to exaggerate the amount of work. Funny the ones that complain the most are generally the friends I'd consider the laziest and least self motivated outside/before their family life.

My Ride
    97 Supra tt

Originally posted by benyl
    What I can tell you is not to wait until your mid 30s to start. I fucking regret that.

In your 20s, you have no money, but you can do all nighters no problem. In your 30s, ain't gonna happen. I feel tired all the fucking time. I turned 40 last year. My youngest is 2. I'm gonna be fucking old before she moves out.
    x2

Be I had fun traveling in my 20's.
    751HP HKS V-Pro, Tuned by: Justin Nenni

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

well, don't know if I'm lazy, unmotivated, or just plain exaggerating, but I have found it incredibly difficult.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

I must be doing it wrong as my parents both turn 82 this year and are still living on their own in their home.
    And you probably haven't stolen their money or are just waiting for them to die so you can cash in either.

Originally posted by HiTempguy1
    More likely to commit suicide, more likely to do drugs, more likely to end up in jail. All by a significant margin.
    So instead of 0.01% it is 0.02%

That's a 100% greater chance!

DONT HAVE KIDS! You might have a boy!

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 11 12 13 LastLast