Quantcast
Social Taboo - Regret having children - Page 10 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 ... LastLast
Results 181 to 200 of 259

Thread: Social Taboo - Regret having children

  1. #181
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Victoria Park
    My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom
    Posts
    3,366
    Rep Power
    18

    Default

    Where's mid_boost? lol.

  2. #182
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Red Deer, Alberta
    My Ride
    1995 WRX STi
    Posts
    1,556
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Originally posted by Tik-Tok
    Funny how you all think I'm using the term "educated" to mean schooling, those two terms aren't completely interchangeable either.
    Typical nomenclature across North America dictates "educated" = "schooling", so no, its not funny, and you might want to work on that.

    You can get away with arguing something if the context is broadly similar across a country. I would never refer to a tradesman as "educated", even though he certainly has learned a lot.

    I also agree with the fact that educated does not mean intelligent, and I also agree with the fact that education has little bearing on whether your offspring are satans cum stains or little angels.

  3. #183
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Stampede Central
    My Ride
    is easy to spot
    Posts
    1,717
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    Originally posted by Tik-Tok
    Funny how you all think I'm using the term "educated" to mean schooling
    Originally posted by HiTempguy1
    Typical nomenclature across North America dictates "educated" = "schooling", so no, its not funny, and you might want to work on that.
    This. When people ask "what is the highest level of education you've received?" is "I dropped out of grade 2 and walked 3000 miles in bare feet" an appropriate answer?

  4. #184
    Join Date
    Jun 1987
    Location
    SK
    My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)
    Posts
    2,886
    Rep Power
    39

    Default

    Originally posted by Disoblige
    Where's mid_boost? lol.
    Gettin' his 'rari serviced!
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.

  5. #185
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Sorrow
    My Ride
    Hatred
    Posts
    3,634
    Rep Power
    17

    Default

    This thread is adorable. And I came out of retirement to say this.
    -U

  6. #186
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    **SEQUOIA**
    Posts
    578
    Rep Power
    16

    Question

    Fascinating thread!

    My wife and I are in our early 30s, and are DINKWADDCCS. What does that mean? Dual income no kids with two dogs and two cats.

    Oh and i grew up as an only child, and the thought of having kids and messing up parenthood scares the hell out of me

    Life is grand, at least enough $ to live comfortably, and we have quite a bit of flexibilty (for travel or whatever) as long as we can book our 4 animals in the kennel. Albeit the kennel bill is usually in the high 3 figures... cest la vis

    We are quite against having kids, however that could be a now thing. People change, and perhaps its just a phase we are going through so never say never. However, we are very pragmatic and would be ready before taking the next step (mentally and financially) should the opportunity present itself

    On another note, 9/10 of our friends have kids, and we are known as "cool couple" that always throws parties and let them take their kids. TBH, i wish they wouldn't (miss the good old days of drinking / shenanigans vs. Everyone leaving before sundown), however that is just a thing of the past and most wouldn't even show up if we put a restriction on kids. One thing i have noticed is that we are on the outer-outer-outer circle of our once close friends. I think it has something to do with kids, or lack thereof... we just can't relate in the discussions...any kidless couples want to hang out? Dm me Lol

    We are happy with no kids... key word in that sentence is "we". To any that judge us or our lifestyle, we don't care what you think I would rather us focus on our careers, climb the corporate ladder an save up for that next sportscar or boat than an RESP, but I digress..

    Oh and I love our animals like they were our kids, (btw if you are on the fence of having kids, get a dog. A shit ton of responsibilty, except dogs never grow up)

  7. #187
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    calgary
    Posts
    1,822
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    Originally posted by canadian_hustla
    Fascinating thread!

    ....One thing i have noticed is that we are on the outer-outer-outer circle of our once close friends. I think it has something to do with kids, or lack thereof... we just can't relate in the discussions...any kidless couples want to hang out? Dm me Lol ....
    lol I wouldn't be too miffed about that. The kid conversations are so damn boring. First it starts off with how they are such a great kid. Then some discussion about how they kept them up the other night. Then the usual, they made their first steps/word/poo on the big potty etc etc. Then it progresses to a discussion about childcare or schools, potentially some complaining about the cost of child care. Discussing their rate of growth is a hot topic and how they keep outgrowing their clothes faster than they can buy them. Discussion of how much energy the kid has and how the parents have taken up midday naps during the weekend. Their next boring outing like going to the zoo, elbow falls, the reservoir or other stroller accessible walking path for the 30th time this year Etc etc etc.

    Haha I kid but seriously I've had almost exactly the same conversations to a T with different friends that are parents.

  8. #188
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    calgary
    Posts
    374
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Still childless at 35, have given up on the relationship/dating game and am focusing on building my business(s) and owning property. I've kind of given up on giving my old man a grandson, despite his constant pestering. I fear the thought of it, but I also think I would like to give it a try. Can't say much more than that really.

    I will say however, reading this thread and seeing the old usernames and recalling the past 15~ years, the conversations we're engaging in are quite different than what they used to be, and it makes me feel very very old.

  9. #189
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    **SEQUOIA**
    Posts
    578
    Rep Power
    16

    Default

    Originally posted by J-hop


    lol I wouldn't be too miffed about that. The kid conversations are so damn boring. First it starts off with how they are such a great kid. Then some discussion about how they kept them up the other night. Then the usual, they made their first steps/word/poo on the big potty etc etc. Then it progresses to a discussion about childcare or schools, potentially some complaining about the cost of child care...
    bahaha you absolutely nailed it.

    Another one, (especially for babies) is does anyone know why my kids poop is [insert color] and looks like [insert consistency]? Followed by 30 minutes of indepth discussion, analysis and comparisons from others with babies. How is this appropriate table talk???

    Thankfully most of their kids are older now so we have moved on from those conversations. But parents are so candid that the topics gross me out. Not to mention that they dont even talk about their lives anymore, just their kids..

    We were invited to a BBQ last year, and everyone brought their kids. Seriously we were the only couple (out of 10 or so couples)with no kids, It was the lamest thing ever... you couldnt have a conversation without being disrupted by a yelling screaming crying [or insert adjective] toddler.

    Heres how the conversation would go every single time and i consider myself a very social person:

    (Approach somebody)
    Me - "hi how have you been, its been a long time since we have seen eachother"
    Them - "great, Billy (their toddler) is doing well"
    Me - "oh good to hear, how about about YOU?"
    Them - "Billy turns 2 this year and will be starting daycare"
    Me - "thats wonderful"
    Me - "hes grown so fast"
    Them - "yes"
    Me - "nice day for a BBQ hey?"
    Them - "yes Billy loves the sun! Just look at that smiling face. He will sleep well on the way home"
    (i have given up by now)
    Me - "sooooo do you like stuff?"
    (ackward silence)
    (Billy hurts himself and is heard crying)
    Them - "i have to go now"

    Sigh..

  10. #190
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    S.E. (not the drrty south)
    My Ride
    Blandness
    Posts
    6,964
    Rep Power
    24

    Default

    Originally posted by Dalking

    I will say however, reading this thread and seeing the old usernames and recalling the past 15~ years, the conversations we're engaging in are quite different than what they used to be, and it makes me feel very very old.
    I can imagine how long this thread would have lasted 10+ years ago

  11. #191
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Calgary, AB.
    My Ride
    210000 km oldie
    Posts
    1,089
    Rep Power
    16

    Default

    We can do a Beyond meet up. At Hide and Seek :-) BYOB

  12. #192
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    Honda E Toaster
    Posts
    1,836
    Rep Power
    17

    Default

    Originally posted by J-hop


    lol I wouldn't be too miffed about that. The kid conversations are so damn boring. First it starts off with how they are such a great kid. Then some discussion about how they kept them up the other night. Then the usual, they made their first steps/word/poo on the big potty etc etc.
    And then immediately afterwards, with their tired, sunken eyes they have to ask you "So, when are YOU having kids?"

    I don't mean to come off hostile towards people who have them. But again, as someone who doesn't have kids and not really interested in having them, my attitude is rooted on the constant pressure to get me have babies.

    At this point, it's just fun to talk about it here because I can finally rant about the issue with others on the forum that are in the same boat as I am. Whereas bringing it up to literally all my friends who have children, would be opening up a can of worms.


    Originally posted by canadian_hustla

    On another note, 9/10 of our friends have kids, and we are known as "cool couple" that always throws parties and let them take their kids. TBH, i wish they wouldn't (miss the good old days of drinking / shenanigans vs. Everyone leaving before sundown), however that is just a thing of the past and most wouldn't even show up if we put a restriction on kids. One thing i have noticed is that we are on the outer-outer-outer circle of our once close friends. I think it has something to do with kids, or lack thereof... we just can't relate in the discussions...any kidless couples want to hang out? Dm me Lol
    This is my life as well. Except my house is the outlet for the guys that leave the wife and kids at home, which sounds great in theory. Happened a handful of times. But I haven't had anyone over like that in very long time. I also find myself in the complete outer circle of my friends and I seem to drift away further as time passes. Because parents hang out with other parents for the sake of the children. Nowadays, I can't really schedule anything that doesn't involve bringing their children or going to the zoo or some playhouse, so I never see them. And if we even think about a 'guys' night or something that doesn't involve the kids, I usually have to base it on THEIR schedule to make it happen. And half the time, one isn't available due to their kid's extra curricular activities. I completely understand, but it's frustrating to the point where I stopped caring.

    Originally posted by Dalking

    I will say however, reading this thread and seeing the old usernames and recalling the past 15~ years, the conversations we're engaging in are quite different than what they used to be, and it makes me feel very very old.
    Ask Leo is a ghost town now that everyone's not as immature with the 'ownings', disgusting pictures and jailbait threads

    10-15 years ago, I have never clicked on Current Events or Home and Garden. And correct me if I'm wrong, I don't even think we had a Real Estate thread run by MYWYFSHOT.
    Last edited by JordanEG6; 03-17-2017 at 07:53 AM.
    SneakerFiles.com | Blog | Team AM Fam

    1993 Honda Civic CX (B16A2) - 2002-2005
    1992 Honda Civic Si (K20A2) - 2006-2008
    2008 BMW 335i - 2008-2013
    2008 Honda Element EX AWD - 2013-Current

  13. #193
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Stampede Central
    My Ride
    is easy to spot
    Posts
    1,717
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    Originally posted by canadian_hustla
    Fascinating thread!

    My wife and I are in our early 30s, and are DINKWADDCCS. What does that mean?
    I was sitting here reading this and thinking.. wtf does that mean before you explained it.

    What I came up with:
    "Dual Income No Kids With an Abnormally Desperate Desire to Copulate and Conceive Synthetically"

    Don't ask me how I come up with shit like that

  14. #194
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Calgary/Alberta
    Posts
    635
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    This topic is fascinating to me - I'll admit I was super naive and it wasn't until the last few years that I realized not everyone wanted kids. I just assumed it was a natural progression in life until I met my gf and other women who made some very good points about not wanting children (impact on career, lifestyle, finances, body etc.)

    It's a topic I do struggle with a bit as I really do want a family but my girlfriend has never wanted children. We've talked about it and she knows it's a dealbreaker for me so she's okay with having one...and I'm not sure how I feel about that.

    On the one hand, it's amazing that she is willing to have a child with me because she loves me but...on the other hand it's such a huge commitment that I would want her to truly want one and just because I pressured her into it. So yeah, I'm a little worried she may regret it afterwards.

    I've spoken to a number of friends who are now parents and not all were ready to have children or wanted them before they did, but all are very happy they did (or at least that's what they say), but I suppose everyone is different.

  15. #195
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    1,425
    Rep Power
    18

    Default

    Originally posted by J-hop
    cost of child care.
    It is fucking outrageous though!!!!!!!!! hahaha.

  16. #196
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Calgary AB
    My Ride
    Jap V8
    Posts
    2,150
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    Originally posted by Tik-Tok
    Funny how you all think I'm using the term "educated" to mean schooling, those two terms aren't completely interchangeable either.
    lol. The irony.

  17. #197
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.
    Posts
    6,206
    Rep Power
    24

    Default

    Originally posted by anarchy
    It's a topic I do struggle with a bit as I really do want a family but my girlfriend has never wanted children. We've talked about it and she knows it's a dealbreaker for me so she's okay with having one...and I'm not sure how I feel about that.

    On the one hand, it's amazing that she is willing to have a child with me because she loves me but...on the other hand it's such a huge commitment that I would want her to truly want one and just because I pressured her into it. So yeah, I'm a little worried she may regret it afterwards.
    Oh that will turn out peachy I'm sure

  18. #198
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Technically the NE
    My Ride
    C63S
    Posts
    3,986
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    Originally posted by canadian_hustla


    bahaha you absolutely nailed it.

    Another one, (especially for babies) is does anyone know why my kids poop is [insert color] and looks like [insert consistency]? Followed by 30 minutes of indepth discussion, analysis and comparisons from others with babies. How is this appropriate table talk???

    Thankfully most of their kids are older now so we have moved on from those conversations. But parents are so candid that the topics gross me out. Not to mention that they dont even talk about their lives anymore, just their kids..

    We were invited to a BBQ last year, and everyone brought their kids. Seriously we were the only couple (out of 10 or so couples)with no kids, It was the lamest thing ever... you couldnt have a conversation without being disrupted by a yelling screaming crying [or insert adjective] toddler.

    Heres how the conversation would go every single time and i consider myself a very social person:

    (Approach somebody)
    Me - "hi how have you been, its been a long time since we have seen eachother"
    Them - "great, Billy (their toddler) is doing well"
    Me - "oh good to hear, how about about YOU?"
    Them - "Billy turns 2 this year and will be starting daycare"
    Me - "thats wonderful"
    Me - "hes grown so fast"
    Them - "yes"
    Me - "nice day for a BBQ hey?"
    Them - "yes Billy loves the sun! Just look at that smiling face. He will sleep well on the way home"
    (i have given up by now)
    Me - "sooooo do you like stuff?"
    (ackward silence)
    (Billy hurts himself and is heard crying)
    Them - "i have to go now"

    Sigh..
    The other fantastic one is you call someone to chat about something and they immediately put their 2 year old on the phone to "talk to you". As if that's why you were calling, to talk to their baby.

    This is why i text people lmao
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

    If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.

  19. #199
    Join Date
    Jun 1987
    Location
    SK
    My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)
    Posts
    2,886
    Rep Power
    39

    Default

    Originally posted by A790

    Oh that will turn out peachy I'm sure
    This.

    But as long as you have a financial plan B that can accommodate alimony and child support payments for "this kid you made me have for you" you'll be fine.

    Working your second job to make the payments while the child is "with her sister/mother/sitter" so she can spend the money going to Mexico/Vegas/Misc. with her new man won't bother you so much after the first couple years....
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.

  20. #200
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.
    Posts
    6,206
    Rep Power
    24

    Default

    Originally posted by anarchy
    This topic is fascinating to me - I'll admit I was super naive and it wasn't until the last few years that I realized not everyone wanted kids. I just assumed it was a natural progression in life until I met my gf and other women who made some very good points about not wanting children (impact on career, lifestyle, finances, body etc.)

    It's a topic I do struggle with a bit as I really do want a family but my girlfriend has never wanted children. We've talked about it and she knows it's a dealbreaker for me so she's okay with having one...and I'm not sure how I feel about that.

    On the one hand, it's amazing that she is willing to have a child with me because she loves me but...on the other hand it's such a huge commitment that I would want her to truly want one and just because I pressured her into it. So yeah, I'm a little worried she may regret it afterwards.

    I've spoken to a number of friends who are now parents and not all were ready to have children or wanted them before they did, but all are very happy they did (or at least that's what they say), but I suppose everyone is different.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Fencesitter/

    Start reading

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. National Geographic's "Taboo" series.

    By Seth1968 in forum Entertainment
    Replies: 8
    Latest Threads: 09-26-2014, 12:40 PM
  2. Taboo Sex Show

    By Isaiah in forum General
    Replies: 21
    Latest Threads: 11-09-2012, 08:05 PM
  3. Taboo.. Calgary sex show?

    By snoop101 in forum Entertainment
    Replies: 19
    Latest Threads: 11-16-2009, 05:08 PM
  4. Taboo Sex Show

    By EVOI in forum General
    Replies: 11
    Latest Threads: 12-14-2004, 09:59 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •