Quantcast
California Advice - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: California Advice

My Ride
    G6

Default California Advice

My wife has decided we're going to California next month (around April 15th). Her only requirements are nice beach she can tan on and "relax" (previous experience has show this means do nothing). I'd like to do some sightseeing as well, so something with nice beach and decent sites would be top pick. Where should we go? Where should I stay? I've never been to Cali.

San Diego. (<-- detailed trip report) You'll thank me.
    Last edited by C_Dave45; 03-12-2017 at 08:44 AM.

My Ride
    changes every year

as far as where to stay I'm with Dave, go to San Diego but make sure you make the trip to Huntington Beach. it's probably 2 hours or so drive.

maybe even see if you can stay around HB. I'm not sure where there is to stay there though, air Bnb?

My Ride
    Parked in the Bike Lane

DO NOT fly through LAX if you can help it at all. SD is nice. AirBNB is good everywhere.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Originally posted by 03ozwhip
    as far as where to stay I'm with Dave, go to San Diego but make sure you make the trip to Huntington Beach. it's probably 2 hours or so drive.

maybe even see if you can stay around HB. I'm not sure where there is to stay there though, air Bnb?
    Why Huntington Beach? Does it help with home sickness looking out at the oil rigs?

On San Diego, if the budget allows La Jolla all the way

La Jolla shores park is a great spot to give surfing a try too, nice beach break where you can walk right out to your wave, which makes it way more enjoyable for first timers cause paddling can be hell
    Last edited by ercchry; 03-11-2017 at 09:18 PM.

My Ride
    Model S

Muscle Beach

My Ride
    06 F-150

I rented a car at LAX for basically nothing and just went all over the place between LA and San Diego. We did Air Bnb in Santa Monica so it would be somewhat affordable, also stayed in Anaheim, Downtown LA, San Diego. Beaches were nice everywhere. Manhattan Beach was nice and not so busy. The whole area is nice IMO you can't go wrong. Get In N Out burger.

My Ride
    Left at 5pm

Stayed an extra day in SD the last time I was there for business. Went kayaking in the bay in La Jolla and it was really nice. There are a couple of little kayak tour outfits there...very easy to find with a quick google.

April may be a bit early in the season but it will be warm so they may be running. I went at the end of the season (end of Sept) and with the temp around 75/80, it was perfect weather to go out and paddle your ass off for a few hours without cooking to death. Saw some seals and a dolphin up close, went into some of the caves, and all-around it was an awesome time.

Stayed at "The W" downtown...decent enough for location (was super walkable to the gaslamp, little italy, east-village, and the waterfront and none if it felt too sketchy at night), nice little 'trendy' hotel with nearby restaurants, though the parking at the hotel sucked. Went for an early morning stroll through Balboa park which was nice, too. Had really great meals at "Ironside" and "Ocean Prime" and random spots found when we were wandering around.

My manager did an AirBNB in Mission Beach when he was there and had a great experience with it.
    Originally posted by scat19
    I have a BMW so im not stupid.

My Ride
    Subaru Outback

We usually go to Huntington beach each year. Rent a nice little place off main street on VRBO, about 15 to 20 min walk to the water.

We like HB because it's laid back and easy to blend in. Lots of people consider it "blue collar" compared to Newport Beach down the street, but we like it.

San Diego is awesome. We usually stay in La Jolla Shores.

LA is fun too. We usually rent a vrbo place in Newport Beach or balboa island.

My Ride
    rally pig

any of the beaches in SoCal will make your wife happy. Santa Monica is pretty clean and very touristy. i still enjoy going for a bike ride between Venice Beach and Santa Monica whenever we're down there.

I like Huntington Beach as well, laid back (less foreign tourist than Santa Monica) and if you go to the pier on a Sunday afternoon to watch the sunset, you're also tread by a crowd playing drums (Huntington Beach Drum Circle).

next time I'm ever in LA, I would like to visit most of locations La La Land was filmed
    http://la.curbed.com/maps/la-la-land-filming-locations

Fly into LAX, rent a car and drive south. Flying elsewhere (other than SAN) will involve a connection and not worthwhile. Huntington Beach is good, Laguna and Newport are more posh. I'd drive south an hour or so every day and sample all beaches.

Default Re: California Advice

Originally posted by Feruk
    My wife has decided we're going to California next month (around April 15th). Her only requirements are nice beach she can tan on and &quot;relax&quot; (previous experience has show this means do nothing). I'd like to do some sightseeing as well, so something with nice beach and decent sites would be top pick. Where should we go? Where should I stay? I've never been to Cali.
    In light of your post re; my car rental question... I take it you guys decided on San Diego?! Where ya stayin? What ya doin? What attractions do you have planned?

click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version

My Ride
    G6

Yep we booked San Diego. Staying off Mission Beach ~300m south of Catamaran Resort in a VRBO.

Haven't finalized planning, but here's what I'd like to cover:
    Mission Bay for a couple days (beaches and such, Sea World?)
    Dinner/drinks in both Gaslamp and La Jolla areas
    Tour the aircraft carrier
    Drive out to the safari zoo
    Green Day concert
    Surfing
    Clowes Mountain trail as per your recommendation Dave

Leaving in 2 weeks, can't wait!

Originally posted by Feruk
    Yep we booked San Diego. Staying off Mission Beach ~300m south of Catamaran Resort in a VRBO.

Haven't finalized planning, but here's what I'd like to cover:
    Mission Bay for a couple days (beaches and such, Sea World?)
    Dinner/drinks in both Gaslamp and La Jolla areas
    Tour the aircraft carrier
    Drive out to the safari zoo
    Green Day concert
    Surfing
    Clowes Mountain trail as per your recommendation Dave

Leaving in 2 weeks, can't wait!
    Awesome!! You're going to love it. All good activities. The Sea Lions in La Jolla Cove are fun. Some great sidewalk cafes there too.
    For the Mission Beach area, look at renting bikes. Only $15 for the day, and you can really tour the whole area. (We rented the electric bikes, but we're old AF). Have some drinks at The Wavehouse beachside bar!

Cowles mountain hike is not a leisurely stroll. Hour and a half each way if you take your time, but well worth it!!

We haven't been to either zoo yet. But Safari Park is on our list this trip though, in May.

Have fun!!!

My Ride
    TDi

The aircraft was interesting, but got pretty boring unless you are really into that stuff.

The stories from the vets are the best part and the views in San Diego are amazing
    GO FLAMES GO!

Originally posted by 403ep3
    The aircraft was interesting, but got pretty boring unless you are really into that stuff.

The stories from the vets are the best part and the views in San Diego are amazing
    Huh, that's interesting. See, I'm NOT into that kind of stuff. Aircraft doesn't really interest me. NO interest in war stuff. And museums per se, don't really interest me. Yet I had a blast on the USS Midway, and went again with my boy the following year, and had just as much fun as the first time. I went, not expecting to enjoy it as much as I did.
    But everyone is different, I get that. Listening to the old vets was really cool, I agree.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Yeah I went to the USS Midway last year too. At first I didn't want to go cause who wants to spend all day on a stupid boat? I ended up going cause I had nothing planned for the day and it was a cheap way to burn off a few hours. Holy crap, was it neat! We ended up spending 5 hours on it and we still ran out of time before it closed because I wanted to see everything. I definitely have a lot more appreciation for how everyone is important to keeping the whole thing running smoothly. And yeah, listening to the vets was my favourite part so make sure you set aside some time for that. There's a few there telling different things. There's also the command tower tour (insert obligatory "buzz the tower" quote )

Maybe not for everyone, but I rented a bike in San Diego and rode it to the Tijuana border for the afternoon haha! The outlet malls are there so if you feel like you gotta do something while you're there, there's that. Came back up through Coronado, which was pretty nice (though windy).

Coronado's got some nice beaches. If you want somewhere to eat there (on Coronado), I'd recommend Clayton's, which is kind of an old diner style restaurant, but it gets pretty packed there.

kind of highjacking here but what's the best area to stay in San Diego for 2 people that are in their early 30s, that is short walking distance to A) nice beaches, B) good pubs and restaurants ??

Originally posted by timdog
    kind of highjacking here but what's the best area to stay in San Diego for 2 people that are in their early 30s, that is short walking distance to A) nice beaches, B) good pubs and restaurants ??
    Pacific Beach/Mission Beach area, hands down.

https://goo.gl/maps/Ucsx2wtLc2p

Walking along Garnet Ave on a Friday or Saturday night is awesome. Open pubs and restaurants everywhere. People partying on the streets. Go down to the beach at midnight and watch the waves....it's like 17th Ave or Kensington x10!

There's a pub on the beach called "PB Shore Club" and it was ROCKIN on the weekend. As in, bouncers picking and choosing the clientele with a lineup down the block of people trying to get in.
    Last edited by C_Dave45; 03-23-2017 at 05:46 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast