Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Syncrude fire

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    calgary ab
    My Ride
    4x4
    Posts
    1,965
    Rep Power
    13

    Default Syncrude fire

    https://mobile.twitter.com/BradleyKa...7Ctwgr%5Etweet

    Doesn't look like plant 6 where it would be expected...UE1 coker maybe?

    Not good anyway

    Emergency crews are tackling a fire that broke out at Fort McMurray’s Syncrude base mine.

    The Rural Municipality of Wood Buffalo confirmed shortly after 2 p.m. that the blaze broke out at the site.

    More details on the size of the fire and potential injuries are expected soon.
    https://www.google.ca/amp/edmontonjo...t-mcmurray/amp
    Last edited by AndyL; 03-14-2017 at 03:11 PM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Stampede Central
    My Ride
    is easy to spot
    Posts
    1,531
    Rep Power
    11

    Default



    Another video; not on youtube yet.
    https://twitter.com/979Rock/status/841758184217948160

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    has a turbo
    Posts
    2,193
    Rep Power
    14

    Default

    Hmm wife's dad works for Syncrude, not sure which area though, she can't get a hold of him

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    50
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    A couple friends working out there right now, most of the mine is being evac'd, huge traffic jam on the highway (obviously) still on going last txt message I got when I asked.

    Man, just what Ft Mac needs, another fire.

    There was a loud explosion which one of my friends said a co worker heard from a couple KM away from where the fire is, which preceded the fire starting.

    They have very good fire crews and equipment on all the sites, and have an agreement to help each other out in situations like this, but depending on what's burning and where, it could be something easily extinguished and controlled, or something that takes weeks - I remember when I worked the fire in Ft Sask in the underground storage tanks there, it was the same month that 9/11 happened as I was coming home after we got the fire under control the morning the jets hit the towers - that took us 32 days to get under control, and mainly because it burnt out on its own, and not much to do with our efforts to extinguish it.
    Last edited by Gman.45; 03-14-2017 at 04:28 PM.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Vancouver
    My Ride
    A moving pylon
    Posts
    6,236
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    ^^ It shouldn't take weeks to extinguish for this type of facility

    At worst it will be a vessel that will have to burn off. There should be MOV's throughout the upgrader that will choke it off.

    Some lucky starving EPCM is going to get a nice re-build contract out of this. I did the rebuild for the Suncor fire in 2005, that was a solid 9 months of crazyness.
    Last edited by Sugarphreak; 03-14-2017 at 05:46 PM.
    "With great power, comes great MSRP"

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    Beyond Fit 2017 Golf R, 2011 Silverado beater.
    Posts
    1,140
    Rep Power
    11

    Default

    Originally posted by Sugarphreak
    ^^ It isn't going to take weeks to extinguish

    How do you know? Worked there?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Vancouver
    My Ride
    A moving pylon
    Posts
    6,236
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    Originally posted by Redlined_8000


    How do you know? Worked there?
    Edited my post a bit, I thought it was Gestalt and I just noticed it was actually Gman.45

    But yes, it won't take weeks for the reasons I posted above

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Red Deer, Alberta
    My Ride
    1995 WRX STi
    Posts
    1,252
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    Can't be that bad, a coworker was told to still go up for a daytrip tomorrow after he checked with Syncrude
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Stampede Central
    My Ride
    is easy to spot
    Posts
    1,531
    Rep Power
    11

    Default

    Originally posted by Sugarphreak
    It shouldn't take weeks to extinguish for this type of facility

    At worst it will be a vessel that will have to burn off. There should be MOV's throughout the upgrader that will choke it off.
    In an idea properly designed facility, that's true. But if I build the site with motorized isolation valves that fail under fire, they're as good as useless in the fire hazard zone.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Calgary AB
    My Ride
    Jap V8
    Posts
    1,683
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    Originally posted by Gman.45
    A couple friends working out there right now, most of the mine is being evac'd, huge traffic jam on the highway (obviously) still on going last txt message I got when I asked.

    Man, just what Ft Mac needs, another fire.

    There was a loud explosion which one of my friends said a co worker heard from a couple KM away from where the fire is, which preceded the fire starting.

    They have very good fire crews and equipment on all the sites, and have an agreement to help each other out in situations like this, but depending on what's burning and where, it could be something easily extinguished and controlled, or something that takes weeks - I remember when I worked the fire in Ft Sask in the underground storage tanks there, it was the same month that 9/11 happened as I was coming home after we got the fire under control the morning the jets hit the towers - that took us 32 days to get under control, and mainly because it burnt out on its own, and not much to do with our efforts to extinguish it.
    I was in a meeting on site when this happened. The explosion was not audible (or would have been barely so) 2km away (my office is closer to the location than that and I didn't hear anything).

    The fire was extinguished within just a couple minutes of ignition.

    I won't say what specific plant it was in, but it was not plant 6 or UE-1 coker.

    Originally posted by HiTempguy1
    Can't be that bad, a coworker was told to still go up for a daytrip tomorrow after he checked with Syncrude
    Well it's not not bad haha. A bunch of non essential staff was asked to go home, and others have been asked to stay in our offices/go no where near the incident location. All depends on where your coworker was heading.
    Last edited by cjblair; 03-15-2017 at 08:26 AM.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Vancouver
    My Ride
    A moving pylon
    Posts
    6,236
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    Originally posted by jwslam

    In an idea properly designed facility, that's true. But if I build the site with motorized isolation valves that fail under fire, they're as good as useless in the fire hazard zone.
    It was one of the study recommendation outcomes for the Suncor fire, and I believe that companies that insure these facilities require similar facilities to upgrade to MOV's in high risk areas that can be operated specifically in the event of a fire, or they would face huge premiums.

    Even legacy facilities should have them in place by now, I would be quite shocked if there wasn't.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Stampede Central
    My Ride
    is easy to spot
    Posts
    1,531
    Rep Power
    11

    Default

    Originally posted by Sugarphreak
    Even legacy facilities should have them in place by now, I would be quite shocked if there wasn't.
    Yet here we are in my company, still building new facilities without proper isolation.

    Sure we put in the fire proofed MOV proven to work for 45 min into a fire, and then we cheap out on cables that will melt like chocolate chips.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Red Deer, Alberta
    My Ride
    1995 WRX STi
    Posts
    1,252
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    Originally posted by cjblair


    Well it's not not bad haha.
    I wasn't trying to be nonchalant about it, if it was BAD, they wouldn't be allowing anyone besides essential personnel on site. That's all I've been in situations where we've been evacuated or had trips cancelled. So yes, I agree its "not not bad" and obviously will affect production

    This really sucks for them though, Syncrude FINALLY started producing at peak production which they have struggled to get to for years.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Red Deer, Alberta
    My Ride
    1995 WRX STi
    Posts
    1,252
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    Originally posted by jwslam

    Sure we put in the fire proofed MOV proven to work for 45 min into a fire, and then we cheap out on cables that will melt like chocolate chips.
    I love oil companies Deal with this kind of crap all the time.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Vancouver
    My Ride
    A moving pylon
    Posts
    6,236
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    Originally posted by jwslam

    Yet here we are in my company, still building new facilities without proper isolation.

    Sure we put in the fire proofed MOV proven to work for 45 min into a fire, and then we cheap out on cables that will melt like chocolate chips.
    Oh probably, haha. Those MOV's are such a PITA to design for too... I have at least a dozen stories of how these things showed up and were far bigger and heavier that they were supposed to be, and we had to completely rework an area at huge cost to the client.

Similar Threads

  1. Syncrude to Alberta: F*CK Y0 DUKZ!

    By broken_legs in forum Society / Law / Current Events / Politics
    Replies: 81
    Latest Threads: 11-02-2010, 09:25 PM
  2. Syncrude Dead Ducks Trial

    By littledan in forum Society / Law / Current Events / Politics
    Replies: 7
    Latest Threads: 05-14-2010, 12:38 PM
  3. Sinopec buys Conoco's share of Syncrude

    By Cos in forum Society / Law / Current Events / Politics
    Replies: 6
    Latest Threads: 04-13-2010, 07:06 AM
  4. suncor, syncrude etc. co-op pay

    By metalman in forum Careers
    Replies: 13
    Latest Threads: 10-31-2007, 10:12 AM
  5. Summer employment at Syncrude

    By redx2nv in forum Careers
    Replies: 22
    Latest Threads: 04-27-2005, 11:44 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •