Quantcast
Where to buy: combo steam shower, whirlpool jet tub, shower combo kit? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Where to buy: combo steam shower, whirlpool jet tub, shower combo kit?

My Ride
    Lease

Default Where to buy: combo steam shower, whirlpool jet tub, shower combo kit?

Beyonders,

Instead of building a custom shower/steam shower, tub... I'm considering one of these combo kits would be way cheaper in the end. Might not as esthetically pleasing than custom, but functionally just has so many features (that I'll plan to use)

Any suggestions of places to look in town or online to tack on my current research?

Thanks

wow nice time machine

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

stayed in a hotel that had one of those. Since my shower at home is one of those stone-age single head things, I was pretty confused. took me three days before I figured out how to use all the features, but on that third day, I did have a 55 minute shower, so win??
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Grandparents have a similar one... the drain design is by far the worst thing ever... it's constantly backed up, and puke worthy to clean it out

Default Re: Where to buy: combo steam shower, whirlpool jet tub, shower combo kit?

Originally posted by TomcoPDR
    Beyonders,

Instead of building a custom shower/steam shower, tub... I'm considering one of these combo kits would be way cheaper in the end. Might not as esthetically pleasing than custom, but functionally just has so many features (that I'll plan to use)

Any suggestions of places to look in town or online to tack on my current research?

Thanks

Not sure what "WAY" cheaper would be. All depends on your finishing choices.
    You could have a custom-built steam shower for as little as around $8,000.

Those all-in-one units don't include installation labour, and you still need to put in a 220 GFCI breaker, plus install. Last time I priced one out for a customer, the end-cost was a little over $7,000.

With custom built, you can choose your size and shape, endless choice of tile finishes, fixtures, body sprays, etc. You'll definitely save some money, but you're buying a lower quality product as well.

My Ride
    Lease

Default Re: Re: Where to buy: combo steam shower, whirlpool jet tub, shower combo kit?

Originally posted by C_Dave45

Not sure what "WAY" cheaper would be. All depends on your finishing choices.
    You could have a custom-built steam shower for as little as around $8,000.

Those all-in-one units don't include installation labour, and you still need to put in a 220 GFCI breaker, plus install. Last time I priced one out for a customer, the end-cost was a little over $7,000.

With custom built, you can choose your size and shape, endless choice of tile finishes, fixtures, body sprays, etc. You'll definitely save some money, but you're buying a lower quality product as well.
    Thanks Dave, you just might had talked me back into custom built with Dave Tileman then... man decisions decisions.

This is the designer 3D of the actual property, that I ideally want. Mostly full glass STEAM shower (rain drop/body blasters), HEATED tiled lounger, would be nice to have some kinda of tub (don't need the jets, but even if it's like a shallow tiled tub 90 degree under the lounger kinda thing)

But is that extremely crazy though Dave? Hence I figured these time machine kits are kinda practical, but yeah, could be tons of maintenance issues since it's not the standard "American Standard" that you replace from Home Depot, I've noticed it's just all random China brands, that "spa/pool/hottub businesses" bring in based on the per 20-30 pcs. deal they happen to negotiate on their trip to China kinda thing. (that's what it FEELS to me as a consumer/ noob)

Ah good, that makes it clearer.

Okay a few things. Of course, that 3D concept shows a steam shower that would be quite a bit more than the "starting at $8,000" type of custom steam shower.
    Plus those added "wish lists" of yours will add costs. So here are the key features of added costs:

1. Having an open corner steam shower (2-wall) vs a 3-walled shower will add costs because your 10mm frameless glass is a huge expense.
    That glass would be roughly $2500 or more. Vs about $1200 for just a straight, 2-panel, 60" glass door.

2. A contoured bench like that would be huge dollars. Vs just a plain, flat, tiled bench. Upgrade costs of ~$1500-2000 vs $400 for a typical bench.

3. Putting heating in the bench: Again high costs required for that. A heating kit alone is $1,000, then, added costs to bring it inside a waterproof enclosure like a steam shower. Many people think they want a heated tile floor/bench, but what happens when hot water hits the tile? It heats it up within about 5 seconds. The temperature of the water, as well as the steam inside the unit, keeps all surfaces not only "warm" but HOT! Putting electric heating in there is completely redundant.

4. That rendering looks like it shows some sort of glass mosaic tile, along with porcelain tile. Keep in mind, the price of tile varies incredibly. Mosaics are expensive. Glass is expensive. You can pay $4.95/sq ft for a nice porcelain...you can also easily pay $55/sq ft for a nice glass mosaic. An average shower has anywhere between 100-150 sq ft of tile. So you can see a cost difference of $500 vs $5500 just for tile alone.

So, as I said...you can definitely save money by buying a sealed steam shower unit vs a custom steam shower, but the minute you start adding all those "wish list" items, that $8,000 steam shower can easily become a $20,000 steam shower of the same size.

The steam shower I did for InRich would be around $10,000.
    (added size, upgraded fixtures and tile)

click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version

3. Putting heating in the bench: Again high costs required for that. A heating kit alone is $1,000, then, added costs to bring it inside a waterproof enclosure like a steam shower. Many people think they want a heated tile floor/bench, but what happens when hot water hits the tile? It heats it up within about 5 seconds. The temperature of the water, as well as the steam inside the unit, keeps all surfaces not only "warm" but HOT! Putting electric heating in there is completely redundant.

I am sure with the steam this may be the case, but I have had two showers with built in benches and the tiles are always cold. Not sure how often I would ever sit on it if they were warm so its not an issue for me but I would argue that unless you intentionally point the hot water at the bench for a bit, it stays cold.

Originally posted by s_havinga

I am sure with the steam this may be the case, but I have had two showers with built in benches and the tiles are always cold. Not sure how often I would ever sit on it if they were warm so its not an issue for me but I would argue that unless you intentionally point the hot water at the bench for a bit, it stays cold.
    Yes you are completely correct.
    Hence my statement:
    ... when hot water hits the tile..
    A bench inside a regular shower isn't going to be used for much more than a foot rest to shave your legs on, or a glorified shampoo bottle platform, as opposed to a place to sit and lounge for half hour.
    A steam room is quite a bit different. Some people may still want a heated tile floor/bench regardless. I'm just pointing out what the added costs are for that, and for someone looking for a budget steam room, that might not be the best use of your money.
    Last edited by C_Dave45; 03-16-2017 at 03:16 PM.

A bench inside a regular shower isn't going to be used for much more than a foot rest to shave your legs on, or a glorified shampoo bottle platform, as opposed to a place to sit and lounge for half hour.
    This is all truth. I skipped the bench and now the shampoo is on the floor.

My Ride
    Lease

Okay a few things. Of course, that 3D concept shows a steam shower that would be quite a bit more than the "starting at $8,000" type of custom steam shower.
    Plus those added "wish lists" of yours will add costs. So here are the key features of added costs:

1. Having an open corner steam shower (2-wall) vs a 3-walled shower will add costs because your 10mm frameless glass is a huge expense.
    That glass would be roughly $2500 or more. Vs about $1200 for just a straight, 2-panel, 60" glass door.

2. A contoured bench like that would be huge dollars. Vs just a plain, flat, tiled bench. Upgrade costs of ~$1500-2000 vs $400 for a typical bench.

4. That rendering looks like it shows some sort of glass mosaic tile, along with porcelain tile. Keep in mind, the price of tile varies incredibly. Mosaics are expensive. Glass is expensive. You can pay $4.95/sq ft for a nice porcelain...you can also easily pay $55/sq ft for a nice glass mosaic. An average shower has anywhere between 100-150 sq ft of tile. So you can see a cost difference of $500 vs $5500 just for tile alone.

So, as I said...you can definitely save money by buying a sealed steam shower unit vs a custom steam shower, but the minute you start adding all those "wish list" items, that $8,000 steam shower can easily become a $20,000 steam shower of the same size.

The steam shower I did for InRich would be around $10,000.
    (added size, upgraded fixtures and tile)

click for larger version
    I should just hang at InRich's house...

The alternative to not having steam shower, if it was just a regular shower would be where I was thinking heated lounger would benefit, lather up, then just relax on the heated lounger for 30-45 mins before washing up (that's no steam shower installed)

What about those wedi or (mostly) European companies that make the Styrofoam polystyrene pre-built loungers?

I totally like the look and feel of custom made shower/bath, with it said and done do we go back to exploring the time machine kits? Kinda chessy, but again, are they practical? Or not really.

Maybe you'll get your Red Lobster meal afterall to trade for consultation.

My Ride
    Lease

Dave,

Using my same drawing and concept, what if I was to scrap the "lounger chair", and replaced it with a regular drop-in tub, can a steam room have bathtubs in them? (i.e. would it ruin or rot anything the tub supports, etc..)

Originally posted by TomcoPDR
    Dave,

Using my same drawing and concept, what if I was to scrap the "lounger chair", and replaced it with a regular drop-in tub, can a steam room have bathtubs in them? (i.e. would it ruin or rot anything the tub supports, etc..)
    I don't think you can do that. ie: I've never seen it done in my 36 years in construction. First off, you'd need a HUGE steam room. At least 6x6. The steam generator required to supply steam for that size would be very expensive. Not to mention the cost of your glass.
    And what's your plan? To sit in an empty tub to enjoy a steam soak? You won't get any steam, as the steam rises. It won't "fall" down into your tub.

The best way to start a project is answer this question first: What is your budget? Then go from there.

My Ride
    Lease

I don't think you can do that. ie: I've never seen it done in my 36 years in construction. First off, you'd need a HUGE steam room. At least 6x6. The steam generator required to supply steam for that size would be very expensive. Not to mention the cost of your glass.
    And what's your plan? To sit in an empty tub to enjoy a steam soak? You won't get any steam, as the steam rises. It won't "fall" down into your tub.

The best way to start a project is answer this question first: What is your budget? Then go from there.
    I would say for this property build... $10,000 "tops" though (staying away from the mosaics then). Though admitting those time machines are hideous, lol...

Should we talk myself out of a "steam" shower though? Just have a nice tub, rain shower/body blast, nice tiles, custom glass? With your answer, that's what I was afraid of, build a small small glass area for steam shower, and then do open concept for rain drop shower with 1 glass wall, no door. (if that makes sense, enclose steam shower area to be 2'x5', and then outside of the steam shower bench, to have shower area; but not everything in one room)

My Ride
    90 DB1, 03 RL1, 07 YK1

Another question to ask is how much space do you have to work with?
    If you have the space, you can build a walk-in tiled shower with a free standing soaker/jetted tub inside of it.

This general concept :

Calgary is so much like an iphone: iCalgary - There's a bylaw for that.

Originally posted by frozenrice
    Another question to ask is how much space do you have to work with?
    If you have the space, you can build a walk-in tiled shower with a free standing soaker/jetted tub inside of it.

This general concept :

You lose the steam aspect then. Plus spending a few thousand extra for the free standing tub and fixtures.
    If he wants a free standing tub regardless, that cost is mitigated, but he does lose the "steam" room.

My Ride
    90 DB1, 03 RL1, 07 YK1

I don't know all the in's/outs with steam showers, but I'm not clear on how you'd loose the steam aspect if it was entirely enclosed?

Originally posted by frozenrice
    I don't know all the in's/outs with steam showers, but I'm not clear on how you'd loose the steam aspect if it was entirely enclosed?
    With that particular design...where are you going to sit? Inside the tub, no? The steam would not surround you in the tub. The steam outlets are located 12" from the floor, as the steam rises. any further above OR below that, you lose effectiveness. You might get some steam, but you would not get the full benefit it, the tub would act as a "shelter". Not to mention that particular layout/setup would be running well over $15,000.
    Either you want a steam room, or you want a tub to sit and soak in. Putting one inside the other defeats the purpose of each. And I assume, for TomCo, the key element is price and not space

If you wanted both, then you build a steam shower and have a soaker/jetted tub placed elsewhere in the bathroom. Similar to Buster's layout:

click for larger version
    Last edited by C_Dave45; 03-19-2017 at 12:50 PM.

My Ride
    90 DB1, 03 RL1, 07 YK1

Gotcha. Are you thinking that the tub is full or empty when sitting in it? I was assuming full so only head/shoulders would benefit from steam and that there'd be a bench for those times when you don't need to soak.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast