Quantcast
How do you lowball without being a lowballer? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 7 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: How do you lowball without being a lowballer?

Talking How do you lowball without being a lowballer?

I have been following this car on Kijiji for about 3 months. The guy is overpriced and wont drop the price. He is asking $5000 and I figure I would buy it for $2800 or $3000. How do I offer him $2800 without being a total douche about it.

Also one thing I have going for it is that it is located in the middle of fucking nowhere too.

Advice? How do I go about this?
    Originally posted by adam c

Line goes up, line goes down, line does squiggly things and fucks Alberta
    "The stone age didn't end because we ran out of stones"

My Ride
    Lease

"Hi, I only have $2,800 in my bank account, will you take it?"

go see the car in person and prove to him that its not worth as much as he's asking for. Look for rust.

Send me the link and i will low ball him so badly that your low ball will seem like a compliment. If this works, paypal me $50 and call it a day. Deal?

Originally posted by TomcoPDR
    "Hi, I only have $2,800 in my bank account, will you take it?"
    Lol I was just thinking about doing that.

Originally posted by xDodge2x
    go see the car in person and prove to him that its not worth as much as he's asking for. Look for rust.
    Yeah I am thinking about going to look at it, but if he is firm on his price I am not going to waste my time to drive out there (3 hour drive from here). Also seems like a dick move to drive out and then lowball someone.

Originally posted by beyond_ban
    Send me the link and i will low ball him so badly that your low ball will seem like a compliment. If this works, paypal me $50 and call it a day. Deal?

That may work.... haha. I am sure I can get a friend to do it for a beer though. Ill give you a 6-pack for the idea.

My Ride
    992 T-hawk Golf R

Go in person to see the vehicle and only bring what you're willing to pay in cash and be prepared to take the vehicle away. Money Talks.
    I like neat cars.

Originally posted by Cos
    That may work.... haha. I am sure I can get a friend to do it for a beer though. Ill give you a 6-pack for the idea.
    You just lowballed my original offer so i think you are getting the hang of it. I am sure you'll be able to throw him an offer now sans negative feelings.

If you can't justify that the car is worth what you're willing to pay, how do you know you're not being a lowballer?

My Ride

Make fake kijiji ads with the same type of car with less km for 3 grand, print off, show to him

Kidding aside, I would look at the car, and offer him the amount you are prepared to pay. Tell him that you don't think its worth 5K. Prepare to walk, too.

My Ride
    VAG products

Originally posted by 90_Shelby
    Go in person to see the vehicle and only bring what you're willing to pay in cash and be prepared to take the vehicle away. Money Talks.
    risky if the seller declines the offer, because now OP just drove 3 hours for no reason lol

Thaco is offline sucks off little boys (ya, don't fuck with rage2 bitch!!!)
    My Ride
    Rage2

offering like 60% is a lowball, no matter how you put it... but do it anyways... the worst he can do is ignore you... or make a mom joke..
    User title molested by Rage2.

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's not the size that matters, it's the taste it leaves in your mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    No logic, thought, input, etc from cult member...

Originally posted by beyond_ban

You just lowballed my original offer so i think you are getting the hang of it. I am sure you'll be able to throw him an offer now sans negative feelings.
    Haha.

Originally posted by Mibz
    If you can't justify that the car is worth what you're willing to pay, how do you know you're not being a lowballer?
    Well I know I am not being too bad because otherwise it would have been sold by now. It isnt worth the 5g's because it would have been snapped up already. 3 months is a long time. Also it is a non-turbo and a horrible colour. Both of those things would have to change. Nice colour turbo ones sell for $6000 or so.

Originally posted by Abeo
    Make fake kijiji ads with the same type of car with less km for 3 grand, print off, show to him

Kidding aside, I would look at the car, and offer him the amount you are prepared to pay. Tell him that you don't think its worth 5K. Prepare to walk, too.
    That is pretty sneaky. Never thought of that.

Yeah I dont want to be underhanded but he hasnt dropped his price and for the 5g there are other cars I would rather. For the $3000 or so it would be worth it.

Originally posted by Thaco
    offering like 60% is a lowball, no matter how you put it... but do it anyways... the worst he can do is ignore you... or make a mom joke..
    Yeah I agree I know it is low. I have just been waiting for him to drop his price off the 5g's though then it wouldnt have seemed so bad.
    Last edited by Cos; 09-11-2011 at 09:22 PM.

My Ride
    Rear Wheel Drive

Default Re: How do you lowball without being a lowballer?

Originally posted by Cos
    I have been following this car on Kijiji for about 3 months. The guy is overpriced and wont drop the price. He is asking $5000 and I figure I would buy it for $2800 or $3000. How do I offer him $2800 without being a total douche about it.

Also one thing I have going for it is that it is located in the middle of fucking nowhere too.

Advice? How do I go about this?

No offence, asking this question is like being open minded about not being open mined.

How do you slap someone in the face and compliment them at the same time?

Many people feel if they cannot afford it, they won't lowball someone who is trying to make a sale.

Some ancient advice...
    Karma is Karma.
    <signature has not been setup>

Shoot the guy an email and say you are interested and to call you back at xxx-xxx-xxxx or give you their number so you can call. IMO talking personally with the guy makes a huge difference. Just don't be a straight up prick and say your car isn't worth that much blah blah, talk nicely and see what he has to say to back up the price he's asking.

Default Re: Re: How do you lowball without being a lowballer?

Originally posted by star-k

No offence, asking this question is like being open minded about not being open mined.

How do you slap someone in the face and compliment them at the same time?

Many people feel if they cannot afford it, they won't lowball someone who is trying to make a sale.

Some ancient advice...
    Karma is Karma.
    So I should overpay for his car, that isnt worth it since no one else has bought it, so that Karma doesnt get me?

Originally posted by botox
    Shoot the guy an email and say you are interested and to call you back at xxx-xxx-xxxx or give you their number so you can call. IMO talking personally with the guy makes a huge difference. Just don't be a straight up prick and say your car isn't worth that much blah blah, talk nicely and see what he has to say to back up the price he's asking.
    Yeah that is sort of the plan I am thinking about going with. It makes the most sense and it isnt a personal thing but I am not giving this guy 2g's just because he is nice (or maybe he isnt).

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 07-05-2019 at 09:42 AM.

My Ride
    Audi

Be direct with facts to back it up:

I believe your car is worth $XXXX. I believe this because of the market price as well as X, Y and Z which I noticed about your car. With that in mind, I am offering you $ZZZZ. Please let me know if you are interested in working to close a deal.

Originally posted by Sugarphreak
    People that try to pull the &quot;I've got cash on hand&quot; game piss me off to no end... seriously, when somebody comes to complete a deal from Kijiji and instead of bringing the agreed amount they start waving around half the money spouting &quot;I got cold hard cash for you right here right now&quot; line, what are they thinking? Were we going to do the deal in bottle caps or something? Of course it is going to be a cash deal you fucking twit.
    Bahahaha, I know what you mean, so stupid. Yo I gotz cash in hand like a bawz.

You are going to have to call him and talk it out. Who knows maybe he doesnt really want to get rid of it. That would be my guess if he hasn't adjusted the price yet.

My Ride
    2017 Golf TSI

If he is way overpriced and isn't lowering it, and lists the price as firm he probably isn't in any hurry to sell. Some people list cars that they would like to keep for sale at a high price, so that if a buyer comes along they can make decent money off them, but they really don't want to sell.

If he is one of these people there is no way he will take your offer, but all you can do is try. Email him, or call him up if there is a number, ask him about it, and ask whether he is in any hurry to sell. Tell him what you think it's worth and don't be a dick about it.

I've turned down tons of lowball offers and never been mad at people if they are perfectly nice, so long as they don't waste my time. Just don't waste his time and you will be fine.
    Originally posted by Vagabond142
    Is the best game. Ever. In everness. It is more awesome than a robot caveman punching God in the dick. It is that awesome

My Ride
    Fiesta ST

Originally posted by hampstor
    Be direct with facts to back it up:

I believe your car is worth $XXXX. I believe this because of the market price as well as X, Y and Z which I noticed about your car. With that in mind, I am offering you $ZZZZ. Please let me know if you are interested in working to close a deal.
    This.

Don't go out and waste your time and his time without seeing if he's stuck on the higher price.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 ... LastLast