Quantcast
Proposed changes to Maternity Leave - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: Proposed changes to Maternity Leave

Why does Hitempguy hate women so much? Curious if you have ever had a serious girlfriend? You don't have to answer because I'm pretty sure I know what the answer is.

My opinion on this is that it's a good idea to have the option of 12 or 16 months. We have one on the way and will be thinking about this over the next little while... if I am still working my same job we should be able to get by with the lower payments but if I switch companies and take a pay cut we would probably go with 12 months

The other indirect benefit to this is that the extra 6 months off for the parent = 6 extra months on the temp's contract. In a shitty economy/ future automated economy, I think this will keep more employable (not on mat leave) employed

My Ride
    toyotas, mitsu, and a ford

I took 13weeks of parental leave concurrent with my GF taking her mat leave only because I found out my employer offers what they call a parental allowance. I've never heard of a program like this before and not sure if any other employers even offer something like it but the extension would of cost my employer 1000s more if I decided to take the full amount of time.

The parental allowance in my case is that I go on parental leave and collect EI. I submit the ei slips and the employer tops me up to 93% of my usual 2 week salary. (although it works out to be about the same because I don't have to pay a bunch of deductions out of it.)

Considering my top up payments were 3x-4x the maximum EI benefit this would be a massive cost for them.

If it wasn't for the top up payments I would of never even considered taking the time off and because I didn't find out about the program for quite some time and the fact my kid was born really premature I left without much notice. My position requires a certain security clearance that takes months to put someone through the process so they had to put someone in the position that already had the clearance but didn't really have a clue what the job entails and as such there were certain mandatory compliance things that got overlooked and ultimately costs 1000s in fines.

Ironically I always though you should only be entitled to as much time off as you give notice.(therefore a theoretical maximum of 9months)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3