Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 42

Thread: Proposed changes to Maternity Leave

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Stampede Central
    My Ride
    is easy to spot
    Posts
    1,496
    Rep Power
    11

    Default Proposed changes to Maternity Leave

    http://globalnews.ca/news/3316968/ma...fits-canada-2/

    Seriously. Wtf.

    "I don't qualify for EI because I don't work. But you should give me mat leave money"

    This completely falls into the category of "I can't afford children but I'll pop them out and Justin will get the rest of the country to pay for them"

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Calgary, AB
    My Ride
    A vehicle or two
    Posts
    4,046
    Rep Power
    14

    Default

    So, by the same notion is it of your opinion that no maternity leave should be offered at all?


    Originally posted by A790 10/10, would let Jeff in my mouth again.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    96
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    I laughed through this whole thing. we have bred a a society of entitled idiots.
    dont get me wrong, maybe there is a valid argument out there for extending maternity leave. But if the arguments are just "stuff is expensive, and i need more time", it's pretty laughable. she talks about having a million dollar mortgage and how that's not reasonable to afford that while on maternity leave. wow. a) dont have a million dollar mortgage if you can't afford it, b) dont have kids if you can't afford it without government assistance, C) I bet $20 she drives a car worth at least $50k

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Calgary, AB
    My Ride
    2012 Volkswagen GTI, CW, 6spd
    Posts
    332
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    I thought the whole point of the extended leave was to further reduce the EI eligible for the time off?
    12 months is roughly $20,000 for the 12 months, so you would get the same $20,000 but spread over 18 months instead.

    As an FYI, unless you are careful, $500 every two week just barely covers the basic's for a household budget.
    Some parents give up earning $2,000 - $3,000 per month at an average FT job and quite frankly we pay into EI each month so damn right i"m going to collect what I've paid into over the years.

    What makes a parent less qualified to get EI vs the person who got laid off and expects to get something from the system????

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Stampede Central
    My Ride
    is easy to spot
    Posts
    1,496
    Rep Power
    11

    Default

    Originally posted by Kloubek
    So, by the same notion is it of your opinion that no maternity leave should be offered at all?
    That's not what I meant. I'm saying that you need to earn things, not just expect free money. If you've contributed zero dollars to EI because you freelance, why are you being paid out?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Food Court Wifi
    My Ride
    2010 Recession Fighter LX
    Posts
    3,943
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    It is kind of weird that maternity leave is part of EI, when their goals and aims are totally different.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Parked in Baygirl's garage.
    My Ride
    2016 F-150 3.5L Ecoboost SCrew FX4
    Posts
    3,774
    Rep Power
    14

    Default

    I am pretty happy with how maternity leave works in general, however, I would like to see it stretched a little bit so that both parents can be around for the first 3-4 weeks without it reducing the overall length of maternity leave.

    For me, I took vacation time so I could be around for the first couple weeks after my daughter was born. I know I could have taken some of the mat leave time, but then it would have shortened the amount of mat leave available to my ex-wife. Ideally, I would have liked to have a 13th month added (for the other parent, forfeited if chosen not to be used), so both parents can sort out things during the first month without reducing the overall mat leave period, but not extending it either.
    Spikers RC on YOUTUBE!

    Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Victoria Park
    My Ride
    '90 Z32, '03 TJ, '15 Grom
    Posts
    2,973
    Rep Power
    14

    Default

    Where does it say you can get paid out if you contributed $0 to EI? There looks to be some qualifications you need to have to be eligible.

    https://www.canada.ca/en/services/be...igibility.html

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    799
    Rep Power
    14

    Default

    Originally posted by Disoblige
    Where does it say you can get paid out if you contributed $0 to EI? There looks to be some qualifications you need to have to be eligible.

    https://www.canada.ca/en/services/be...igibility.html
    I think that is what the people in the article are trying to change. people going to school while pregnant don't work enough hours to get maternity leave.

    maybe they should wait till they are done school before they have kids?
    "Make Canada a better place, punch a Canuck fan in the face" - Jim Rome

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    799
    Rep Power
    14

    Default

    Originally posted by spikerS
    I am pretty happy with how maternity leave works in general, however, I would like to see it stretched a little bit so that both parents can be around for the first 3-4 weeks without it reducing the overall length of maternity leave.

    For me, I took vacation time so I could be around for the first couple weeks after my daughter was born. I know I could have taken some of the mat leave time, but then it would have shortened the amount of mat leave available to my ex-wife. Ideally, I would have liked to have a 13th month added (for the other parent, forfeited if chosen not to be used), so both parents can sort out things during the first month without reducing the overall mat leave period, but not extending it either.
    that would've been awesome if i could have stayed home with my family for the 1st month.

    i actually didn't even know that maternity/paternity leave could be taken at the same time?
    "Make Canada a better place, punch a Canuck fan in the face" - Jim Rome

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Calgary, AB
    My Ride
    A vehicle or two
    Posts
    4,046
    Rep Power
    14

    Default

    Originally posted by jwslam

    That's not what I meant. I'm saying that you need to earn things, not just expect free money. If you've contributed zero dollars to EI because you freelance, why are you being paid out?
    Fair enough in that regard. I agree with it being tied into EI so it is a program which is effective as compensation only if you earned it by working.

    However, the whole whether you should or whether you shouldn't be entitled to it is only part of the article. The other part is suggesting higher payouts, or longer leave. I don't really support either, but do acknowledge that the program serves a very real and necessary purpose.

    Unlike the suggestion in the article, I don't think the system needs to be "overhauled", but I do believe it would be tweaked to help reduce misuse of it. Tying it in with EI would likely be largely effective in doing exactly that.


    Originally posted by A790 10/10, would let Jeff in my mouth again.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Parked in Baygirl's garage.
    My Ride
    2016 F-150 3.5L Ecoboost SCrew FX4
    Posts
    3,774
    Rep Power
    14

    Default

    Originally posted by SOAB


    that would've been awesome if i could have stayed home with my family for the 1st month.

    i actually didn't even know that maternity/paternity leave could be taken at the same time?
    Both parents can use mat/parental leave at the same time, it just reduces the amount of time available. Basically, you get 365 days of leave for the birth, if you and your wife stay home 1 day, that counts as 2 days, and you have 363 days left.

    In reality, you could both stay home the first 6 months, but then after those 6 months, mat leave is done.
    Spikers RC on YOUTUBE!

    Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    96
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Originally posted by nickyh
    I thought the whole point of the extended leave was to further reduce the EI eligible for the time off?
    12 months is roughly $20,000 for the 12 months, so you would get the same $20,000 but spread over 18 months instead.

    As an FYI, unless you are careful, $500 every two week just barely covers the basic's for a household budget.
    Some parents give up earning $2,000 - $3,000 per month at an average FT job and quite frankly we pay into EI each month so damn right i"m going to collect what I've paid into over the years.

    What makes a parent less qualified to get EI vs the person who got laid off and expects to get something from the system????
    totally agreed, my wife paid into it for 10 years and damn right she collected (twice). but, we didnt rely on the assistance and I feel that if we NEEDED it, then maybe we should have thought twice about having kids? my issue is that people say it needs to be extended (which will cost tax payers more) so that people like her can better afford to have children, when they likely have terrible spending habits and just want government assistance to help rather than look at themselves to see how they can make it work better within their means.

    this is the classic downward spiral of government assistance programs. people use them, then become reliant on them, then demand more.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    799
    Rep Power
    14

    Default

    Originally posted by timdog


    totally agreed, my wife paid into it for 10 years and damn right she collected (twice). but, we didnt rely on the assistance and I feel that if we NEEDED it, then maybe we should have thought twice about having kids? my issue is that people say it needs to be extended (which will cost tax payers more) so that people like her can better afford to have children, when they likely have terrible spending habits and just want government assistance to help rather than look at themselves to see how they can make it work better within their means.

    this is the classic downward spiral of government assistance programs. people use them, then become reliant on them, then demand more.
    i don't really have an argument against extending it because they would be getting the same pay over a longer time period.
    "Make Canada a better place, punch a Canuck fan in the face" - Jim Rome

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    YYC
    Posts
    2,723
    Rep Power
    16

    Default

    I know people that only buy name brand clothes and shoes for their kids 3 yrs and under. They believe it's worth it. You know, for the Instagram likes.

    Also know a family who have 4 kids under 6 and a $800k mortgage. Husband got mad at his boss and quit.

    It pays to be ignorant and poor.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Calgary, AB
    My Ride
    2012 Volkswagen GTI, CW, 6spd
    Posts
    332
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Originally posted by SOAB


    i don't really have an argument against extending it because they would be getting the same pay over a longer time period.
    Exactly. it's this.

    If you can live off less each month for longer, great.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    AB/NS
    Posts
    3,279
    Rep Power
    16

    Default

    She's not missing any meals... The 3 women in that article prove there's someone out there that'll breed anything.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Location
    YYC
    My Ride
    Ricer SUV, Lexus Coupe in Mid Life Crisis Orange
    Posts
    19,332
    Rep Power
    5

    Default

    Originally posted by mr2mike
    I know people that only buy name brand clothes and shoes for their kids 3 yrs and under. They believe it's worth it.
    My mom gets pissed off that 1/2 our kids clothes are hand me downs from cousins and goes out and buys them new clothes because she thinks that's neglect. Suffice to say, every time they visit my parents, they get dressed in hand me downs hoping to earn some upgrades.

    Car budget > name brand kids clothes. Got my priorities straight hahaha.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    96
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Originally posted by nickyh


    Exactly. it's this.

    If you can live off less each month for longer, great.
    what people might not consider is that this hurts businesses.
    It's very difficult to put a position 'on hold' for 1 year while you wait for an employee to come back from maternity leave. Depending on the size of the business or the role the person was in, it can be very expensive and can effect productivity.
    If corporations were 100% in charge, then maternity leave wouldnt exist at all (except for maybe at the Amazon's and high caliber companies like that). So i'm not saying we need to have only corporation's well being in mind, but it needs to be considered. an extra 6 months is a huge burden.

    also the woman in this video was advocating for more money too, not just more time.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Calgary, AB
    My Ride
    2012 Volkswagen GTI, CW, 6spd
    Posts
    332
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Having been through a mat leave myself and having a person on my team currently on mat leave, it doesn't really hurt business IMO.

    Businesses make do. There is no added cost to the business.

    My position was backfilled by people doing more / taking on more responsibility. We did hire someone but the position was also long overdue & badly needed, even during the downturn.
    That person is currently on leave, her position was backfilled by a summer student and we have a contract person who we will make a FT employee. Again, my group is lean so we needed an extra hire.

    In this case, the company is saving money. the backfilling and cheaper hires have been beneficial for our G&A. We also don't cover the person's medical / dental while they are on leave. The truth is, companies don't have to keep a position "on hold". If a position no longer exists there is nothing to come back to. I've seen it time and time again. It's not right, but there are ways around it. Just an FYI, if you get laid off after a mat leave, there is no more EI. You've taken your share from the system, move along.

    Coming back after a year off (10months) it was a shock to the brain. I never had brain issues while pregnant, in fact i was a lot sharper, the re-learning curve was pretty steep when i came back but that's why i came back early so it was not a huge shock. I would have loved to take the 18months, and while my family could swing it financially, from a mental perspective it was time. Everyone is different there. Some places won't take babies under 12months, it took me a while to find somewhere who would that I could trust. I've been on the wait list at my company building daycare since I was pregnant, my daughter is nearly 2.


    If it means more money is paid out, so....? People pay into EI for income replacement, it's unfortunate that is lumped in with EI but since they administrator the program it's just that. It's not a lot of income either.
    Maybe it would mean for the next wave, instead of having 600hours being required people need to work more, or they have a sliding scale. If you worked 600 you qualify for 12months, 800hours, 14 months etc. I've seen the forums where the mom is short her hours after getting pregnant with the next one too soon, it drastically impacts the payment / length of time you qualify for.
    Obviously if you are freelance, too bad so sad. if you can't put some of your income away that's on you. Don't make me now pay for you to sit at home.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Maternity Leave while operating a small business

    By timdog in forum Real Estate / Finance
    Replies: 11
    Latest Threads: 11-06-2015, 03:29 PM
  2. Employment insurance net income? (Maternity leave)

    By Tik-Tok in forum Real Estate / Finance
    Replies: 17
    Latest Threads: 01-06-2015, 04:59 PM
  3. Maternity leave firings becoming more common in Canada

    By urban.one in forum Society / Law / Current Events / Politics
    Replies: 106
    Latest Threads: 04-24-2009, 12:34 AM
  4. Proposed Parking Changes To Hillhurst/sunnyside

    By snowboard in forum Society / Law / Current Events / Politics
    Replies: 11
    Latest Threads: 06-17-2006, 03:26 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •