Quantcast
Alberta Provincial Right wing party discussion - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 22 1 2 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Alberta Provincial Right wing party discussion

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Default Alberta Provincial Right wing party discussion

Thought we needed one spot to discuss Provincial Politics. Considering the recent victory of Jason Kenny for the leadership of the Alberta Progressive Conservative party, and his intention to merge with the Wildrose Party.

Been lots of that kind of discussion over the the federal politics thread, but I'd love if it was all in one place. I can't keep track over there.

Myself, I think the PC and Wildrose parties won't successfully merge in time for the next provincial election in May 2019. I hope they do, but I suspect there will be too much infighting.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Silverado

I read that Kenney and Jean are meeting today. Hopefully they can get an agreement in place and be ready to merge (under the WR banner) in the next 6 months. Otherwise it will be too late.

Alternatively, the two separate parties could agree not to run in the same riding in the 2019 election. Then once there is a new minority (or possible majority) the two parties could work towards unification.

My Ride
    ute

Zero chance they don't sort something out.

My Ride
    starts with a screwdriver...

For the sake of all Albertans I hope that they can work together and keep infighting/disagreements to a minimum. The PC and WR both have great ideas and I feel this is a great opportunity to get our province back on top. I just hope Kenney works with Jean and doesnt make it a 1 man show. Both parties can learn from one another and my hope are that they really listen to Albertans and get that useless clown Rachel Nazi out of office.
    I MAKE BALLER CARS MORE BALLER.....

My Ride
    Das Fahrenheit

I see them merging as well as they likely need to in order to win a majority. Whether that's before or after the election (coalition), we'll see.

I'd be interested in voting conservative if they have an actual plan for the environment and diversification of the economy. If it's the same old pro-oil, anti-anything renewable, cut and slash spending at all costs, lower taxes on the uber wealthy...meh.
    Originally posted by 89coupe
    I do get great service there, especially when I mention my name, haha.

Originally posted by Buster
    Zero chance they don't sort something out.
    So you're saying they will sort something out?

Anyway... if they do merge then I came see the ones left behind forming their own party. After all, if they merge then there will, in theroy be anice equal amount of them losing their email jobs as there are going to the new party. Didn't the WR party form from experience PC members? Ones that quit because they didn't like the way the PC's were running the party.

My Ride
    Silverado

Originally posted by Canmorite
    I'd be interested in voting conservative if they have an actual plan for the environment....
    What should Alberta be doing to 'plan for the environment?' do you feel that we should have spent $1.3 billion to shutter coal plants early? NDP electricity 'reform' to cost Albertan's $6 Billion in the next 13 years.

BANFF ‑ You break it, you buy it.

It’s the kind of sign one finds inside Banff shops, right next to the tiny glass souvenirs.

It should also be the motto inside the Alberta legislature as the province undertakes a massive overhaul of the electricity system.

About 500 people in the industry descended on Banff this week for the annual conference of the Independent Power Producers Society of Alberta to contemplate what an uncertain future holds for the sector.

There’s plenty to consider: a phase-out of coal-fired power plants, the shift to a new capacity market, the influx of new renewable electricity, a cap on regulated consumer prices and the ongoing dispute over power purchase arrangements (PPA).

Whew.

By one consultant’s calculations presented Tuesday, the potential costs associated with these measures could fall between $6.8 billion and $12.4 billion by 2030.

One looming question is what this all means for consumers, companies and the system Albertans need to turn on their lights.

Get it wrong and there will be plenty of blame to go around.

Electricity prices are already hot-button issues across the country — see Ontario as an example — and every Albertan has a vested interest in how the next steps in the transition to a cleaner power grid will play out.

As Scott Thon, president of Berkshire Hathaway Energy Canada (which owns transmission company AltaLink) said at a panel of power executives, the public wants the electricity industry to decarbonize, but the price Albertans pay can’t be ignored.

“There’s one primary thing we need to be focused on and that is customers’ bills. Not only focus on it, but we need to be accountable for it,” he said. “If the electricity bill doesn’t work out, let me tell you, it’s not going to be good for any of us.”

Alberta power prices are near all-time lows, averaging about $23 per megawatt-hour this year.

Many of the incoming government changes are designed to curb greenhouse gas emissions from the grid, bring on renewable power such as solar and wind, and fine-tune the market structure to ensure future reliability.

It won’t be cheap.

Independent electricity consultant EDC Associates projects the Notley government’s various power reforms will cost between $486 million and $883 million annually until 2030 — for a total bill of $6.8 billion to $12.4 billion.

This tab includes $1.36 billion in government compensation to coal plant owners to shut their plants early, and between $1 billion and $1.6 billion to settle the PPA disputes.

The incoming price cap for consumers will cost up to $1 billion, while between $4 billion and $8 billion will be needed to subsidize renewable energy generation until 2030. Another $200 million to $400 million in expected costs to the regulator are related to the capacity market shift.

EDC chief executive Duane Reid-Carlson, who presented the figures to the conference, said the price tag could vary significantly as these are the best- and worst-case scenarios, but it will be significant.

“We can itemize all the costs and it’s billions of dollars over the next 15 to 20 years … but it’s how they get paid for that we don’t know,” he said in an interview.

“Do they end up in the consumers’ bills? Do they end up in a transmission tariff? Do they end up as an Alberta global adjustment charge like Ontario has? We don’t have the answer to those yet.”

Some costs, such as the coal compensation bill, will come out of revenues from industrial carbon emissions. Others may end up as a charge on consumers’ monthly power bills.

One of the largest issues facing the sector is the change from the existing energy-only market — where generators are paid for the power they produce based on wholesale prices — to a new capacity-based market.

Under the new system to be put in place by 2021, generators will be paid from wholesale prices and for their capacity to produce electricity, even if they don’t sell it.

Several power company executives and the head of the Alberta Electric System Operator don’t expect this change will alter power prices.

AESO chief executive David Erickson noted in other capacity markets, the model actually reduces price volatility, something inherent in Alberta’s current system.

“It shouldn’t drive prices any higher than they would have been under the existing framework,” he said.

But key details, such as how much reserve power the AESO will require, still need to be determined.

“The capacity market in theory should deliver all-in bills the same to consumers as it would have under an energy-only market,” said Capital Power CEO Brian Vaasjo, who noted today’s prices in Alberta are depressed but expected to rebound within four years.

Make no mistake, consumers will be watching their power bills closely in the coming years. That’s why the government has already made some of these moves.

Beginning in June, consumers will see regulated electricity rates capped for four years at 6.8 cents per kilowatt-hour to ensure “consumers are protected from unforeseen spikes while we make this transition,” Energy Minister Marg McCuaig-Boyd told the conference.

What happens after the cap ends will be critical. That’s why it’s imperative the most efficient, cost-effective structure be put in place.

“Let’s not forget that our job collectively in this room is to get affordable, reliable electricity,” said Wayne Stensby, ATCO’s managing director of electricity.

“If we screw that up … we will not be forgiven.”

Or put another way, whoever breaks it, owns it.
    http://calgaryherald.com/business/en...watching-bills
    Last edited by dirtsniffer; 03-20-2017 at 10:02 AM.

I'd be interested in voting conservative if they have an actual plan for the environment and diversification of the economy.
    -Sigh- People need to get over this sham.

There's nothing wrong with our environment, and taxing people to fix something that isn't broke (and won't do any good anyway) should be considered treasonous.

Everyone, including the energy companies, knows that the money will be in alternative energy. They're already spending a shit ton in research and development for just that.

Buy a couple nukes that the hundreds or thousands US will be building.

That's my take.
    0.5 gram microsd delivered by 12,000 pound combustion vehicle and driver.

^^ Agree, completely Seth.

I wish both "conservative" parties would unite under the banner of separating Alberta from Canada, along with a few other Western/Central provinces.

Originally posted by ZenOps
    Buy a couple nukes that the hundreds or thousands US will be building.

That's my take.
    You were doing good Zenops, but lately you've gone back to the crazy uncle persona

on Ra though.

My Ride
    Das Fahrenheit

Originally posted by Seth1968

-Sigh- People need to get over this sham.

There's nothing wrong with our environment, and taxing people to fix something that isn't broke (and won't do any good anyway) should be considered treasonous.

Everyone, including the energy companies, knows that the money will be in alternative energy. They're already spending a shit ton in research and development for just that.
    There's nothing wrong with the O&G roller coaster? I could find a few people who say otherwise.

They're slowly moving towards it, yes. The change to a capacity market will help with that, but I see more incentives to do so as a positive, not 'treasonous'

There's nothing wrong with the O&G roller coaster? I could find a few people who say otherwise.

They're slowly moving towards it, yes. The change to a capacity market will help with that, but I see more incentives to do so as a positive, not 'treasonous'
    Wow total read fail, as I didn't say any of that.

Re-read my post...carefully.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Originally posted by Gman.45

I wish both "conservative" parties would unite under the banner of separating Alberta from Canada, along with a few other Western/Central provinces.
    A million time yes. But honestly, at most I only want Sask to be involved, and that's about it.

The last thing we need are the hippies in BC or the government stooges in Manitoba ruining our new found paradise.

My Ride
    starts with a screwdriver...

Originally posted by Gman.45
    ^^ Agree, completely Seth.

I MAKE BALLER CARS MORE BALLER.....

My Ride
    Lariat

Even if the 2 parties didn't merge until a week before the 2019 election, I'm sure the new party would sweep the floor with the ndp. We can't get rid of them fast enough.
    _____ASP______

current ski quiver:
    park, all mtn 181 ON3P Kartel 98
    park,all mtn: 181 Armada AR7
    big mtn, pow: 185 Armada JJ

My Ride
    Bicycle

Here's what I think what Kenny's math is base on uniting the right:

The right currently total 60% of the vote.

Once unification happens, they expect to lose around 10% (The Progressive and the hardline socially conservative WR could be gone). Making them around 50%.

The Progressive Conservative that may be on the fence on the merger seems to have a plan to to consolidate all politically center parties (Liberal/Alberta party) and form under a new banner. This new center party will split vote for the disenfranchised voters from the NDP.

Boom, the right is back in power.

Now if half the PC supporters are "Red Tories", then there may be a fight on our hands. I don't expect it tho.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 03-20-2017 at 02:30 PM.

My Ride
    Das Fahrenheit

Originally posted by Seth1968

Wow total read fail, as I didn't say any of that.

Re-read my post...carefully.
    Neat-o condescending response.

Anyway, our current environment is in a roller coaster like state, highly dependent on royalty revenue from oil and gas production. I see plenty wrong with AB's boom and busy environment and even more of an issue with the mentality to not do anything about it, especially long-term. If you see a different environment in AB, let me know.

In addition, anyone that proposes diversification in this province is vilified. This usually requires government help or leadership to do so, which yes, can be funded by taxes.

My Ride
    Silverado

Why does diversification require government hand outs? How is an industry that needs handouts sustainable long term?

Increasing investment in Alberta requires a competitive landscape. Possibly through reduced corporate tax rates for new investments. Or my preference would be a tax break on any revenue generated from a product patented in Alberta.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by dirtsniffer
    Why does diversification require government hand outs? How is an industry that needs handouts sustainable long term?

Increasing investment in Alberta requires a competitive landscape. Possibly through reduced corporate tax rates for new investments. Or my preference would be a tax break on any revenue generated from a product patented in Alberta.
    sigh.... again with the corporate tax rate.

Let repeat, It's 12% and 2%.

Lowest tax rate for small business in Canada.
    Only higher than Ontario/BC for large corporate rate and same as Sask.

Diversification require government hand out - in form of an assistant like the Media Fund or tax cut, it basically seed money to hopefully start an industry to hit a critical mass volume that it can be competitive to other jurisdiction.

It works in bringing the movie industry to Georgia ($250M investment and brought $4B in wages to the state)

It works for BC's tech sector and the BC government continue to invest in.
    https://news.gov.bc.ca/releases/2015MTICS0033-001951

Now do I see NDP coming up with any great idea than paying some Ontario company to screw in light bulbs? No.

Page 1 of 22 1 2 11 ... LastLast