Quantcast
Anyone tried cutting out added/refined sugar? - Page 4 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4

Thread: Anyone tried cutting out added/refined sugar?

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Yeah, healthy foods tend to be more filling and less calorie dense than the unhealthy stuff.

I always like when someone makes what they feel are "small" changes, because those kind of changes are the ones you are more likely to stick to longer term.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    KTM

Originally posted by craigcd
    Nothing helps a stressful day like sugar rush. I also struggle to make it more than a week without giving in.

I would guess this would be a similar urge to other addictions but on a smaller scale. I usually go for 5-6 days then somehow candy makes its way into the house via a kids birthday party or something. Its all downhill from there!

If my ability to stop eating candy is any proof of my ability to overcome addiction its a good thing I dont have any other vices.
    I stopped eating added sugar as of my original post date. I am about 4 weeks in at this point and have been rather strict. First couple days were a bit tough, after that wasn't to bad. All the Easter junk/sugar wasn't actually to hard to avoid either.

Likely down 5-10 lbs but didn't really have much to lose. Likely keep on going for a bit, however at my current level of commitment I would say it definitley isn't sustainable haha

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

The GF has had us on a couple different diets over the last year, the latest being from an app called Sweat. Apparently some Aussie dieticians put it together. In some ways it's nice because they given you a grocery list for the upcoming week, on the other hand it's been a pain in the ass as every single meal/snack (5/day) throughout the week is different. I love leftovers and mass cooking so it's been quite the compromise to stick with it since January.

It's basically a meal plan composed of a lot of greek yoghurt, cucumber, salad and various types of beans (more yes but essentially). Fish occasionally and red meat once a week. I think it's been giving her digestive issues though so this Keto plan might be a good suggestion. Is the Whole30 plan basically laid out for you?

Have a really bad sweet tooth as well but I was at a point in my life where I couldn't tolerate sweets. I've managed to 'mostly' cut coffee as I found it was making me crash in the afternoons without another, which then led to a shitty sleep. Also think coffee was causing digestive issues and also joint stiffness (in my head maybe?).
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    335xi 70 c10 84 c10 Indian chief

I'm doing a ketosis style diet now, I'm eating meat, protein shakes, and tonnes of vegetables. I don't see how anyone can think it's unhealthy. I eat 4 cups of greens a day and chicken and beef. Seems like a liveable lifestyle to me. I don't eat fruit to begin with, Just watermelon in the summer, and if I have bread, rice, pasta, any carb really I get an upset stomach and shit for the whole next day. So I avoid that anyways. I don't weigh myself, I pissed on a keto stick 4 days in to see if I had any ketones yet, and other than that eat healthy. Hoping to get back to pre back injury weight by the end of summer.

Originally posted by msommers
    . Is the Whole30 plan basically laid out for you?
    Yup - lots of shopping lists and "allowable" food lists. You can actually eat quite a bit. The only hard part is zero carbs and zero legumes, which removes a lot of variety and also otherwise very healthy foods from your diet. The more I read about it, I decided it wasn't for me, especially since I get a lot of my nutrients from foods that contain some amount carbs. I've also had no problem losing weight eating low carbs instead of no carbs, and I'm fairly convinced I'm healthier (and happier) than the alternative.

If you want full Whole30 meal plans with recipes, it seemed like you had to pay for them, but I imagine there are free ones kicking around somewhere too.

Here's a couple lists:

https://whole30.com/downloads/whole30-shopping-list.pdf

https://whole30.com/downloads/book-shopping-list.pdf

My Ride
    Family Hauler

Originally posted by theken
    I'm doing a ketosis style diet now, I'm eating meat, protein shakes, and tonnes of vegetables. I don't see how anyone can think it's unhealthy. I eat 4 cups of greens a day and chicken and beef. Seems like a liveable lifestyle to me. I don't eat fruit to begin with, Just watermelon in the summer, and if I have bread, rice, pasta, any carb really I get an upset stomach and shit for the whole next day. So I avoid that anyways. I don't weigh myself, I pissed on a keto stick 4 days in to see if I had any ketones yet, and other than that eat healthy. Hoping to get back to pre back injury weight by the end of summer.
    Would love to do Keto but playing sports you are just gassed and have no energy

Originally posted by riander5

Honestly, Id try it. I had ZERO effect on my energy levels at the Gym or doing sports.

My Ride
    2011 5.0 FX4

Originally posted by riander5

I was going thru the "keto flu" which for me was absolutely horrible and I was completely unprepared for the symptoms (no energy/legit flu like symptoms/weak) as well as the shits....

I did manage to go out for a 5 k run on day 3 when the symptoms had subsided and was able to increase my min per km by 30 seconds and didn't have the usual lactic acid build up in my legs that I would normally get when trying for a better time.

Note if you are going to try it make sure you have electrolytes readily available ie magnesium, potassium and sodium (Himalayan pink salt is what I was using) I found out about this way to late and paid for it.

My Ride
    Family Hauler

Originally posted by stevelou

I was going thru the "keto flu" which for me was absolutely horrible and I was completely unprepared for the symptoms (no energy/legit flu like symptoms/weak) as well as the shits....

I did manage to go out for a 5 k run on day 3 when the symptoms had subsided and was able to increase my min per km by 30 seconds and didn't have the usual lactic acid build up in my legs that I would normally get when trying for a better time.

Note if you are going to try it make sure you have electrolytes readily available ie magnesium, potassium and sodium (Himalayan pink salt is what I was using) I found out about this way to late and paid for it.
    Yea mostly was speaking to playing hockey, any HIIT sport you just can't do.

Strength in the gym and steady state exrecise seemed pretty unaffected for me when i did it.

Originally posted by stevelou

MCT for the flu and no-sugar metamucil for me are essentials.

The wife got the keto flu for almost a full week until she started with MCT in her shakes.

My Ride
    (0^oo^0)~

I lost some weight doing keto as well but it made my breath terrible.

It was tough in the beginning and you'd always feel tired.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4