Quantcast
CRT Fans? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: CRT Fans?

My Ride
    acura TYPE A

Default CRT Fans?

do they still exist? and if so why do you like CRT Tvs or monitors?

CRT's have great blacks, 32 bit color, great response times, etc. but I just can't see any real reason for using them still. Aspect ratios aren't right, radiation is higher, they're massive, hotter, they can burn-in, not as sharp, need higher minimum refresh rates, etc. I thought I read something about the last CRT plant being shut down, and finding replacement parts would no doubt be difficult.

I used to have a Sony G400 19" CRT though and at the time it was the tits haha.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

I have a Plasma .... almost as old as a CRT

My Ride
    Bicycle

Because SNES, NES and Gamecube just ain't right if not hooked up to a CRT TV.

Heh, when I got out of gaming, LCDs were still shit for performance, circa say 2002 or 3.

When I got back into it, after my last tour in the mid east, it was around 2009, and when I walked in MemEx and ordered a new PC, and demanded that my new monitor be a CRT and not one of those crappy poorly performing LCDs, I got lots of laughs.

Back in the day I ran Optiquest 21" and a few other 19". The 21 IIRC was heavier than a 45lb dumbbell, a real PITA to lug around to gaming lans for Quake2 and CS in its early days.

Rev - we have a plasma 600hz 50" out in our hot tub enclosure, the oldest screen by far at our place in Calgary, but it still works well, and there is some advantages in certain light conditions with plasma - old school, but it wasn't bad. I often wonder what a 4k type res plasma analogue would look like these days.

In the 90s I had a 36" crt, which was not all that common when I first bought it in 94, and everyone would lose their brains over how big it was. Hard to believe I grew up on a 19", and in my bedroom I had a 14" and considered myself lucky to have cable in my room so I could watch MASH every night before lights out.
    Last edited by Gman.45; 03-22-2017 at 10:27 PM.

Originally posted by Gman.45
    I often wonder what a 4k type res plasma analogue would look like these days.
    4K Plasmas would very likely be the pinnacle of image quality outside of higher end projectors. They would certainly look better than current LCD offerings.

There was nothing technology-wise stopping 4K Plasma's from becoming mainstream, but Samsung's early decision to move to LCD when they couldn't keep up to Panasonic's Plasma tech pretty well killed the Plasma industry. They started throwing huge money into advertising and shelf space, and LG followed suit rather than going the Plasma route. Samsung even bought plasma panels to sell at a loss to help tank the technology.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 03-23-2017 at 09:38 AM.

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt

4K Plasmas would very likely be the pinnacle of image quality outside of higher end projectors. They would certainly look better than current LCD offerings.

There was nothing technology-wise stopping 4K Plasma's from becoming mainstream, but Samsung's early decision to move to LCD when they couldn't keep up to Panasonic's Plasma tech pretty well killed the Plasma industry. They started throwing huge money into advertising and shelf space, and LG followed suit rather than going the Plasma route. Samsung even bought plasma panels to sell at a loss to help tank the technology.
    LOL no. Plasmas were better than LCD in the day but OLED will be the pinnacle at least for now until the next technology comes around. They already have superior black levels (near perfect black) and really the only areas Plasma would be superior today would be motion blur but as OLED becomes more mainstream that will change.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

I've definitely found that the old Plasmas (1080p) are still very good. Purists seem to love them as well. Once OLED comes down in price, it will be the next thing though - short of a wall "screen" that you just roll out and leave in place.

My Ride
    acura TYPE A

^ i do have a older Plasma (65 inch commercial display /with tuner) but it has ghosting effect..

My Ride
    acura TYPE A

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
    CRT's have great blacks, 32 bit color, great response times, etc. but I just can't see any real reason for using them still. Aspect ratios aren't right, radiation is higher, they're massive, hotter, they can burn-in, not as sharp, need higher minimum refresh rates, etc. I thought I read something about the last CRT plant being shut down, and finding replacement parts would no doubt be difficult.

I used to have a Sony G400 19" CRT though and at the time it was the tits haha.
    do you still have it and is it for sale? or anyone ? thank you

Originally posted by revelations
    I've definitely found that the old Plasmas (1080p) are still very good. Purists seem to love them as well. Once OLED comes down in price, it will be the next thing though - short of a wall "screen" that you just roll out and leave in place.
    OLED (not to be confused with LCD) will probably be the norm in a while, yes. They will also probably be the only thing that can compete with a good projector in terms of image quality when the sizes get big enough at semi-reasonable prices, but even that is going to have it's limits (the size).

Originally posted by thetransporter

do you still have it and is it for sale? or anyone ? thank you
    Sadly no, but I did love that thing. I got rid of it a long time go. It was a beast, it weighed 58lbs. If I still had it I would happily give it to you for free haha.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 03-23-2017 at 02:33 PM.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by heavyD

LOL no. Plasmas were better than LCD in the day but OLED will be the pinnacle at least for now until the next technology comes around. They already have superior black levels (near perfect black) and really the only areas Plasma would be superior today would be motion blur but as OLED becomes more mainstream that will change.
    I saw the first Sony OLED TV @ CES 2008, now almost 10 years later, OLED TVs are still a minority.

Not quite sure how much longer before OLED truly takes over and kick LCD to the curb.

Got two old Trinitron 21 inchers that run 2048x1536 @ 60 hz or down to 800x600 @ 240 hz.

240 hz was silky smooth, it was and still is painful to game on a 60hz 1080p LCD. Its one of the few things I really hate about the new tech.
    0.5 gram microsd delivered by 12,000 pound combustion vehicle and driver.

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

Originally posted by Xtrema

I saw the first Sony OLED TV @ CES 2008, now almost 10 years later, OLED TVs are still a minority.

Not quite sure how much longer before OLED truly takes over and kick LCD to the curb.
    I've got a 65" LG OLED and it was around $4500 when I bought it which is still not a mainstream price but it's getting closer. Movies and video games in 4k and HDR are stunning as the blacks are perfect in a way no backlit television can replicate. I will say HDR to me is more impressive than 4k. The way the colors pop to me is more impressive than increased resolution. IMO it's the major feature anyone looking for a new TV needs to ensure they have.

Speaking of CRT's, anyone want a Samsung Syncmaster 700p for free?
    Will fuck off, again.

Originally posted by speedog
    Speaking of CRT's, anyone want a Samsung Syncmaster 700p for free?
    PM thetransporter, he's looking for one.

PM sent.
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride
    acura TYPE A

thank you all. i was looking for a sony crt with BNC . i m out dated. i dont mind paying a a little bit

i had a fw900 it was so cool

This Samsung has bnc connectors on the back, 5 of them.
    Last edited by speedog; 03-24-2017 at 12:29 PM.
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride
    acura TYPE A

thank u

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast