Quantcast
Question about right of way/who goes first - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Question about right of way/who goes first

My Ride
    AP1 / CRV

Default Question about right of way/who goes first

I'm curious what others believe is the correct course of action for several intersection scenarios.

Setting up the scene:
    1. A free flowing main road runs east west (The through road)
    2. The intersecting road running north south is controlled by two stop signs
    3. Car A is heading southbound
    4. Car B is heading northbound

Scenario 1:
    Car A and Car B arrive at the intersection simultaneously. Car A wants to turn left onto the through road. Car B wants to proceed straight through the intersection. Who goes first?

Scenario 2:
    Car A arrives first and wants to turn left onto the through road but traffic is too heavy to proceed. Car B arrives after Car A and wants to proceed straight through the intersection. A gap opens in the traffic on the through road, who goes first?

Scenario 3:
    Car A arrives first and wants to turn left onto the through road but traffic is too heavy to proceed. Car B arrives after Car A and wants to turn right onto the through road. A gap opens in the traffic on the through road, who goes first?

Scenario 4:
    Car A arrives first and wants to turn left onto the through road but traffic is too heavy to proceed. Car B arrives after Car A and wants to proceed straight through the intersection. Several other cars behind Car B also want to proceed straight through the intersection. When a gap appears does Car A go first? wait for all straight through traffic before proceeding? or go immediately after Car B?

(copy and paste for the lazy)
    Scenario 1:
    Scenario 2:
    Scenario 3:
    Scenario 4:

My Ride
    '05 Saabaru 9-2X

Cars turning left never have the right of way in Alberta unless explicitly signed, if memory serves. Or I guess in the case of a four-way stop.

There's a two-way stop like you describe in my neighbourhood and if you're waiting to turn left it can be quite a while before you get to go between people coming straight out of the cul-de-sac on the other end and people going past on the through-road.
    Last edited by toastgremlin; 03-23-2017 at 06:27 AM.

My Ride
    toyota MR2

Scenario 1: B
    Scenario 2: B
    Scenario 3: B
    Scenario 4: B (Id probably find a way to sneak left as the line of cars is coming to stop at the stop sign)
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    Bikes.Car.Truck

Scenario 1: B
    Scenario 2: B
    Scenario 3: B
    Scenario 4: If I was the left turner, as B proceeded from the stop line, I'd be proceeding out to the middle of the intersection and then making my left turn immediately when B passes.
    Looking around
    Wondering what became
    Of what I once knew

My Ride
    ute

Originally posted by toastgremlin
    Cars turning left never have the right of way in Alberta unless explicitly signed, if memory serves. Or I guess in the case of a four-way stop.

There's a two-way stop like you describe in my neighbourhood and if you're waiting to turn left it can be quite a while before you get to go between people coming straight out of the cul-de-sac on the other end and people going past on the through-road.
    I think you're right.

BUT

if the left turning car arrives at the intersection first, comes to a complete stop, then proceeds into the intersection turning left...then I'm not sure the second car is allowed to stop and then proceed INTO the intersection until it is clear.

Not sure how that works.

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

Old, but accurate.

http://roadrules.ca/content/right-way-two-way-stop

Once the gap in traffic on the through road is sufficient, left-turners must yield to drivers who wish to cross the intersection. If, however the left turner has started to make the turn and is already in the intersection, the other driver must yield.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by Disoblige
    Old, but accurate.

http://roadrules.ca/content/right-way-two-way-stop

That's how I always treat it as well, but some drivers trying to be nice and wave me thru my left turn 1st and took me a sec try to figure out if it's a trap or someone who doesn't know the rules.

My Ride

Originally posted by Xtrema

That's how I always treat it as well, but some drivers trying to be nice and wave me thru my left turn 1st and took me a sec try to figure out if it's a trap or someone who doesn't know the rules.
    It's because they don't know the rules and treat it as if it was "first to stop, first to go".

My Ride
    '16 Golf TSI

I have issues with this all the time. Some thoughts:

Scenario 2 -quite often when I'm car B, the person turning left will go ahead of me. I think a LOT of people figure they were there first and it's their turn to go.

Scenario 4 - I'm with 16hypen3sp. I would not sit there and let a dozen vehicles come up to the stop sign and then go. There's an intersection close to me where I think I'd literally sit there for 15 minutes some days doing that. Unless the subsequent people in line all roll through the stop sign like it's a yield sign, there will be time to make a turn while they are stopping, without too much effort (start to roll out while one car is just leaving the sign).

My Ride
    GTIR->SE-R->RDX->SLT->S60->LS460

Since I'm a diagram guy.....

Scenario 1: Car B
    Scenario 2: Car B - Since they are essentially starting to move at the same time for the gap.
    Scenario 3: Car B
    Scenario 4: Car B first, then car A after Car B. All the other cars behind Car B need to stop at the stop sign next.
    Stupidity is a disease we all have, it's like a form of brain herpes. Outbreaks will occasionally occur.

My Ride
    E90 335xi, ZX-10R

I always thought it was "first to stop, first to go" at stop signs. That's how I've always treated it and expect other drivers to. Doesn't matter if you're turning left, right or going straight. Whoever stopped first gets to go next once their path is clear.

My Ride

Originally posted by ExtremeSi
    I always thought it was "first to stop, first to go" at stop signs. That's how I've always treated it and expect other drivers to. Doesn't matter if you're turning left, right or going straight. Whoever stopped first gets to go next once their path is clear.
    It pretty much is to an extent. Because chances are if you are turning left and you stopped well in advance, you move forward first, the person (Car B) going straight would yield to you.

It's just in those moments where it's pretty close to call, left turner would yield.

In my opinion, this falls into one of the common misconceptions on traffic rules, such as:

1) Yes, you can turn left onto a one way on red lights even in the 2nd or 3rd turning lane (one way onto one way).
    2) Yes, you can turn into a driveway/parking lot when there is a single yellow line on the road.
    3) Yes, you can change lanes in the middle of an intersection, as long as it is safe to do so.
    Last edited by Disoblige; 03-23-2017 at 11:34 AM.

Thaco is offline sucks off little boys (ya, don't fuck with rage2 bitch!!!)
    My Ride
    Rage2

basically as soon as a vehicle that does not have a stop sign goes through the intersection, it resets everything to as if they'd arrived at the same time and its normal right of way. (right turn first, then straight, then left)

although 90% of the time i encounter this the other person has no clue so i am always very cautious
    User title molested by Rage2.

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's not the size that matters, it's the taste it leaves in your mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    No logic, thought, input, etc from cult member...

As far as I've always understood a 2-way stop is supposed to work the same as a 4-way stop, for the people with stop signs.

That means if you're turning left from a stop sign and you got to the stop line BEFORE the car opposite you (also at a stop sign), YOU get to go before they do provided it's clear to go.

My Ride
    '16 F150 Lariat, 17 Shelby GT350, '21 Explorer ST

whoever gets there first goes. in the event you arrive at the sign at the same time, straight has right of way.

My Ride
    Infinitis and Nissans

Wow lol this is as divisive as the whole zipper merge versus early merge debate...

I always assume whoever arrives first, but now I'm not so sure, I got my license in Vancouver when I was 16, I'm now 37 and have lived in Calgary since I was 24...I honestly don't know the real answer lol

My Ride
    Bikes.Car.Truck

Originally posted by Disoblige
    1) Yes, you can turn left onto a one way on red lights even in the 2nd or 3rd turning lane (one way onto one way).
    Sorry for the derail but where is the law on this? Some people think it's only from first turn lane into lane one (curb lane to curb lane) but I've always thought what you say is the correct way.
    Last edited by 16hypen3sp; 03-24-2017 at 07:12 AM.
    Looking around
    Wondering what became
    Of what I once knew

My Ride
    Ford

imo 2 way is not a 4 way. car B has Row is all situation presented above. straight has ROW over turning all the time. if there are 5 straight cars and 1 turning car all go straight turning wait. but it doesnt matter becasue people will just turn when the fell like it anyways.
    Street Tune
    446HP 536TQ W/6# Lower, 3.5 upper 16* and 16psi

My Ride
    2017 Golf TSI

Originally posted by 16hypen3sp

Sorry for the derail but where is the law on this? Some people think it's only from first turn lane into lane one (curb lane to curb lane) but I've always thought what you say is the correct way.
    http://www.qp.alberta.ca/1266.cfm?pa...s&display=html

Red traffic lights
    54(1) When, at an intersection, a red light is shown by a traffic control signal, a person driving a vehicle that is approaching the intersection and facing the red light
    (a) shall stop the vehicle
    (i) immediately before the marked crosswalk that is on the near side of the intersection, or
    (ii) if there is not any marked crosswalk, then immediately before the intersection,
    and
    (b) shall not, until a traffic control signal instructs the person that the person is permitted to do so, drive the vehicle so that the vehicle or any portion of the vehicle is
    (i) across the marked crosswalk and into the intersection, or
    (ii) if there is not any marked crosswalk, into the intersection.
    (2) Notwithstanding subsection (1), unless a traffic control device prohibits a right turn from being made on the red light, a person driving a vehicle may turn the vehicle and proceed right at the intersection if that person first stops the vehicle and yields the right of way
    (a) to any pedestrians that are in the intersection, and
    (b) to any vehicles that are in or approaching the intersection.
    (3) Notwithstanding subsection (1), at the intersection of 2 one-way streets, a person driving a vehicle may, unless a traffic control device otherwise directs or prohibits a left turn from being made on the red light, turn the vehicle and proceed left at the intersection, if the driver first stops and yields the right of way
    (a) to any pedestrians that are in the intersection, and
    (b) to any vehicles that are in or approaching the intersection.

(4) When, at a place other than an intersection, a red light is shown by a traffic control signal, a person driving a vehicle that is approaching the signal shall stop the vehicle before reaching the closer of the signal or the nearest crosswalk, if any, that is in the vicinity of the signal.
    This specifies that you may turn left on a red light from a one way to a one way. Section 26 covers what lanes may be used for turning and the basic answer is, you can turn left on red from the second or third lane provided you stop first and there is a sign stating that you are in a turning lane and there is no sign prohibiting turns on red lights.
    Last edited by Zero102; 03-24-2017 at 08:16 AM.
    Originally posted by Vagabond142
    Is the best game. Ever. In everness. It is more awesome than a robot caveman punching God in the dick. It is that awesome

My Ride
    Bikes.Car.Truck

Section 26(4) says to keep as close to the left side of the one way road and turn left onto the left side of the one way road.

So I guess interpretation? Does "left side" mean the entire left side of the roadways? Or does it mean 'curb to curb'?
    Looking around
    Wondering what became
    Of what I once knew

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast