Quantcast
Question about right of way/who goes first - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: Question about right of way/who goes first

Take a cue from UPS and FedEx. Avoid left turns like the plague.

My Ride
    E90 335xi, ZX-10R

Originally posted by JustinL

This is the biggest problem with bigger traffic volumes. If the rule was followed 100% the left turner and everyone behind him has to wait until all of the oncoming traffic clears... which may not happen until rush hour is over.
    This is what doesn't make sense to me. And why is a 2-way stop different than a 4-way stop? At a busy 4-way stop sign when multiple cars approach at the same time, the person on the right has the right of way. Doesn't matter if you're going straight or turning. Whoever stopped first, goes first. So why is it different for a 2-way stop? What is the reason?

Also, this is all I can find in the driver's handbook about stop signs at intersections:

"Three and four-way stops: Intersections where stop signs are located at all corners are often referred to as “courtesy corners.” Vehicles approaching from each direction are required to stop. All drivers must use courtesy and caution. Courtesy is to allow the vehicle that arrived first to proceed first. If two vehicles arrive at the same time, courtesy allows the vehicle on the right to proceed first. You must not proceed unless you can do so safely."

Does anyone know where 2-way stop signs are covered?
    Last edited by ExtremeSi; 03-30-2017 at 09:47 AM.

My Ride
    My wife crazy!

Originally posted by ExtremeSi

This is what doesn't make sense to me. And why is a 2-way stop different than a 4-way stop? At a busy 4-way stop sign when multiple cars approach at the same time, the person on the right has the right of way. Doesn't matter if you're going straight or turning. Whoever stopped first, goes first. So why is it different for a 2-way stop? What is the reason?

Also, this is all I can find in the driver's handbook about stop signs at intersections:

"Three and four-way stops: Intersections where stop signs are located at all corners are often referred to as “courtesy corners.” Vehicles approaching from each direction are required to stop. All drivers must use courtesy and caution. Courtesy is to allow the vehicle that arrived first to proceed first. If two vehicles arrive at the same time, courtesy allows the vehicle on the right to proceed first. You must not proceed unless you can do so safely."

Does anyone know where 2-way stop signs are covered?
    The more of your posts i read, the more i wish someone could revoke your licence. "At a busy 4 way stop it doesn't matter who arrived 1st, the peson on the right goes 1st"???? Where are you getting this?.

Page 73 folks, uncontrolled intersections - link .

I can't beleive we are still here on something so simple.

J walking. Now that one is stupid.

Can you believe, that on your residential street, if some asshole is parked in front of your house, and you park across the street, you have to walk all the way to the end of the block to get home.

And can you believe there are offiers that will actually ticket you?

My Ride
    E90 335xi, ZX-10R

Originally posted by Traffic_Cop

The more of your posts i read, the more i wish someone could revoke your licence. "At a busy 4 way stop it doesn't matter who arrived 1st, the peson on the right goes 1st"???? Where are you getting this?.
    I'm starting to question if you even know the rules of the road. At a 4-way stop whoever stops first, goes first. If everyone arrives at the same time then the person on the right goes first. I never said it doesn't matter who arrived first.

Anyway, I'm not trying to argue with anyone. Just trying to find out what the actual law is and why it is that way. Because what you are saying doesn't seem to make common sense. Telling me I don't know how to drive isn't helping anything.

Common sense is the guy going straight through or to your right has the right of way.

Say there was no one there, you turn left, guy straight through hits you. Are they going to take votes, flip a coin read tarrot cards when determining fault?

Let's not get ridiculous here.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3