Quantcast
Insurance Claim Question - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Insurance Claim Question

My Ride
    2015 Highlander

Default Insurance Claim Question

Need your opinions in regard to what are considered enhancements. I got an offer from the insurance company and I want to make sure I am getting a fair deal.
    2008 Mitsu XLS with 172km got written off
    Cost of repair $9,600
    Insurance offering 11,500
    I added a back up camera, compustar remote alarm/stater
    Last edited by afrotl; 03-23-2017 at 09:40 PM.
    Do you understand the words that are coming out of your mouth?

Maybe a few more details, fairly difficult to state an opinion when you aren't providing any details.
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride
    2015 Highlander

Originally posted by speedog
    Maybe a few more details, fairly difficult to state an opinion when you aren't providing any details.
    More details added

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

Well theres 3 on Kijiji

08 with 120K $10750K looks all stock

08 with 160K, trailer hitch,2 sets of wheels, grille $8900

08 w/ 185K, stock $8200

So there offer seems in line with it. Your Computstar remote/alarm adds maybe $500-800 in value. Back up camera, another $500.
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

My Ride
    2015 Highlander

Originally posted by dj_rice
    Well theres 3 on Kijiji

08 with 120K $10750K looks all stock

08 with 160K, trailer hitch,2 sets of wheels, grille $8900

08 w/ 185K, stock $8200

So there offer seems in line with it. Your Computstar remote/alarm adds maybe $500-800 in value. Back up camera, another $500.
    I was checking both Kijiji and Auto trader as well. I will talk to my adjuster and see what comes out of it.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Something else to consider, do you think this car is in "great shape" and you'd love to drive it for a few more years?

Or is it actually in terrible condition, needs tires, has mechanical issues etc.

I had the good fortune of having a vehicle that was due for several thousand in mechanical repairs, plus additional undiagnosed issues, get written off. I accepted the first insurance offer right away.

What I'm trying to say is be careful playing hardball if you really are sure you want the car written off. In my mind, for that car, that offer is extremely fair. If it was me, I'd take it .
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

I thought they didn't write off cars if the repair cost is less than the vehicle value? Seems like a pretty good deal for you.

My Ride
    Silverado

80% of the value is typical write off territory. Adjuster usually takes into account unfound damage adding a bunch to the quote.

^ Did not know that, thanks! I thought it always was the greater of.

My Ride
    toyotas, mitsu, and a ford

Request a copy of the valuation and ensure everything on it is correct Intact tried to screw me over by offering 3k less than what their appraiser came up with(and even that was low.) They use some software that they just put in your vin and it should list all the options but sometimes its not always correct.

It will also show all the adjustments they've made to come up with that price. (tire wear, paint condition, glass, KM, region, options) it will also show you the 3 vehicles they are comparing your vehicle to in order to get the market value. As well it will list the enhancements and the price.

Insurance will get you next to nothing for mods though. When My mustang was written off I provided over 9k USD of receipts for parts that were less than a year old and intact was only willing to give me 2400cad for them...

PS. FUCK intact

My Ride
    2015 Highlander

Originally posted by ExtraSlow
    Something else to consider, do you think this car is in "great shape" and you'd love to drive it for a few more years?

Or is it actually in terrible condition, needs tires, has mechanical issues etc.

I had the good fortune of having a vehicle that was due for several thousand in mechanical repairs, plus additional undiagnosed issues, get written off. I accepted the first insurance offer right away.

What I'm trying to say is be careful playing hardball if you really are sure you want the car written off. In my mind, for that car, that offer is extremely fair. If it was me, I'd take it .
    The car was in great shape and will love to have had it for a few more years.

After doing some research I do believe the offer is fair, the only thing I am waiting for is to see what they will offer for the alarm/starter and backup camera.

My Ride
    2015 Highlander

Originally posted by Crazyjoker77
    Request a copy of the valuation and ensure everything on it is correct Intact tried to screw me over by offering 3k less than what their appraiser came up with(and even that was low.) They use some software that they just put in your vin and it should list all the options but sometimes its not always correct.

It will also show all the adjustments they've made to come up with that price. (tire wear, paint condition, glass, KM, region, options) it will also show you the 3 vehicles they are comparing your vehicle to in order to get the market value. As well it will list the enhancements and the price.

Insurance will get you next to nothing for mods though. When My mustang was written off I provided over 9k USD of receipts for parts that were less than a year old and intact was only willing to give me 2400cad for them...

PS. FUCK intact
    They sent me the valuation with my offer document and it seems fair.

My Ride
    '16 F150 Lariat, 17 Shelby GT350, '21 Explorer ST

I'd take the 11,500 and run.