Quantcast
Robbed at the Gym - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Robbed at the Gym

My Ride
    Pushbroom

Default Robbed at the Gym

Beacon hill Goodlife yesterday, I'm on the treadmill closest to the front door, it's the one I usually use because I like to see the hot chicks come and go. It's a Thursday, at 11:30am. So I'm running there, and I see this guy walk in, there's nobody at the front counter to scan his membership. Unless it's a weekend, the staff tends to stick the scanner up on the counter and fuck off to the back to chat.. I digress. Anyways, this guy comes in and even before anything happens I'm watching him and thinking to myself, that dude looks REALLY out of place here. Ripped ass jeans, haggard facial hair, a big puffy jacket (it was warm as fuck outside) and ball cap on. No gym bag, no water bottle, nothing. So I didn't give it much thought really, he goes to the locker room and comes out about 5 mins later and heads out the door. I figured he's maybe meeting an employee about a delivery or something, I dunno. Finish my run about 5 mins after this guy leaves, go to my locker, and the fucken lock is cut off. This beater stole my wallet, and my iPhone 4S that I kept in my bag as an iPod. Also took my GoodLife key tag and a bag of pre-workout (wtf???) Another two lockers got hit too, and from what the guys said he took a phone and their wallets as well.

Call up visa, keep in mind my card was missing now for no more than 15 mins. They had already charged $1000 in Air canada tickets and some other online shit. Cancelled the cards, my debit card, etc. Now I'm out a wallet, need a new ID, etc. What a pain in the dick. Only had about $20 cash in there and he will maybe get $30 for the iPod with a cracked screen.

Called the cops, we all did police reports, they were gonna pull the tapes. I guess why he stole my gym tag was because he will use it now to get into another gym past the gate. I already had it cancelled and got a new one tho, but they weren't interested in "flagging" my old one in case he tried to use it.

What really chaps my ass, is Goodlife's blah-zeé attitude toward the whole thing. Sure you have a sign saying articles are left at my own risk, but why the FUCK is a guy like that even getting into the locker room unabated anyways?? Should I not be able to be confident that if I LOCK shit in a locker in your gym that it'll be safe there?? For fucks sake. Have someone look at the fucking screen when someone swipes in and make sure they match the key tag by comparing them to a photo. Is that too much to ask? Every other gym has no problem doing it.

Anyways, I'm out a couple hours of time and an iPod. That's not the point tho. Some fuckin degenerate helped himself to MY shit that I worked hard to pay for, and I'm livid. I'm not a meathead, but had I caught him in the act I would have raged. How nobody in the locker room saw him is beyond me either. That place is always busy.

At least he didn't take my truck keys... in the future that's where I'll be leaving all my valuables.

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

That's crappy man. Sorry to hear it.

By the title, I was thinking someone actually mugged you.

Thaco is offline sucks off little boys (ya, don't fuck with rage2 bitch!!!)
    My Ride
    Rage2

That sucks for sure, bullshit that goodlife didnt even care...

I wonder about the air canada tickets though, dont you need a passport to book tickets? couldn't they trace it back that way?
    User title molested by Rage2.

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's not the size that matters, it's the taste it leaves in your mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    No logic, thought, input, etc from cult member...

I would be raising hell with the owners about their employee, who is the 1st and most important line of defense in keeping thieves and other trouble makers OUT, hiding in the back, shirking their front counter duties.

I know precisely what you're talking about, the indoor walking track/soccer/gym I use near my folks home in SK has the exact same thing happening, they are open 24 hours part of the year, and when I go to train at 2am or sometimes 3 or 4 am, there is NEVER anyone at the front desk, she's fucked off to go do her nails or god knows what, and just has a hand written sign up saying to check yourself in with your card at the reader.

Hard to believe how fast thieves can act...and airline tickets, in 15 minutes no less....would they be trying to sell these online or something? I can't imagine anyone would be so stupid as to use tickets they stole themselves, but who knows. You don't need a passport to book domestic tickets.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

This is exactly why nothing of value goes in the gym locker. In fact I've never once locked up my shit, the bag just has a change of clothes. The assholes assume if your door is not locked that you have nothing to steal.

Phones wallets, watches etc. stay in the car. Gym employees and management rarely give a shit - unless it involves memberships.
    Last edited by revelations; 03-24-2017 at 02:34 PM.

Originally posted by revelations
    This is exactly why nothing of value goes in the gym locker. In fact I've never once locked up my shit, the bag just has a change of clothes. The assholes assume if your door is not locked that you have nothing to steal.

Phones wallets, watches etc. stay in the car. Gym employees and management rarely give a shit - unless it involves memberships.
    Same. You can steal my clothes if you want but there is nothing else in my locker.

That sucks man. Gyms are always high targets because what does everyone have with them at the gym? Wallet, car keys, smartphone/ipod, and headphones. All very small, valuable, easily concealable items.

I stopped taking my wallet to the gym at all, since it's such a short drive from my house. I gamble on the "driving without a licence" ticket and don't speed. My phone/headphones are on my person, but I leave my keys in my bag and no valuables in my car since it's a pretty big jump from iPod to grand theft auto, but you never know I guess. If you have to bring your wallet or CC with you because you want to go shopping after or whatever, keep it in the car.

I guess you know for next time if you see someone like that, better off getting off the treadmill and going to check on your stuff. Not like you should have to do that though if the employees were paying attention. The desk employee attitudes suck but probably not much to be done about that - they are getting $15/hr or whatever, they don't GAF. Police will do nothing either for something like this, guaranteed.

Even more surprising to me is people who leave wallet/phone/car keys in a little pile in an OPEN CUBBY (not even a locker) and just proceed with their 2hr workout. Jesus.

Originally posted by Thaco
    That sucks for sure, bullshit that goodlife didnt even care...

I wonder about the air canada tickets though, dont you need a passport to book tickets? couldn't they trace it back that way?
    You don't need a passport to buy tickets or vacation packages from anywhere - only to check in, but you're right that eventually he would have to show one. You can buy tickets for other people though, so I don't think that would raise any red flags unless they were specifically looking for it. It would just look like the OP bought some guy (the thief) tickets. It should all get canceled though through the CC company as they will block the charge before it posts.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 03-24-2017 at 02:49 PM.

My Ride
    Pushbroom

Lesson learned for next time, yeah. What pisses me off is the fact this even took place at all. It's supposed to be a "professional" chain of fitness centres. I workout 5 days a week so I might go back and raise hell with the manager. Anyone know who runs that location? The " manager" on duty was nice enough but I don't think he had any actual power.

My Ride
    Pushbroom

Ironically, I'm a pilot for Air Canada, and it does happen more than you think where people show up to actually use tickets purchased with stolen credit cards. There's no way this guy had the time or intelligence to do that though. As soon as he had my card he had to have phoned the number in to somebody. My wallet is probably in a garbage can somewhere once he took the valuable stuff out. I looked around a few near the gym but didn't find anything

Switch gyms, that's the only thing that will get their attention at all. But if that's wildly inconvenient for you, then there isn't much you can do. You will just get worthless apologies, maybe a month or two free. I used to go to Anytime Fitness downtown and they were pretty liberal with free months if you had any complaints - worth a shot I guess if you can't switch gyms. Letting someone like that in is pretty negligent, but probably not uncommon.

My Ride
    Subaru Outback

I would consider calling the credit reporting agencies and putting a flag on your file on the off chance this douchebag tries to do the identify theft thing.

My Ride
    2018 Civic Si coupe

Same thing happened to my gf at Gold's last summer, except her lock was still on the locker, but those are so easy to open without a combination. She unfortunately had a few hundred in cash in her wallet, and house and car keys taken. Fortunately we drove my car that day, so we sped home hoping her car was still in the garage and it was. We had the house re-keyed as well as her car, also had her register with Equifax and one other company to (supposedly) reduce the risk of loans being taken out in her name. Canceled all cards, etc, you know the drill.

The staff also didn't give a fuck. What really floors me is they have a basket at the front to drop your car keys in so you don't have to carry them around. Anyone can reach in and take as many keys they want. Free cars at Gold's!!!

It's a horrible feeling, and she always thought I was being too paranoid, but she is hardcore diligent now to this day. Seriously, only put things in the locker that you assume will be stolen in a gym, or any low tech locker. She now takes the bare minimum to start with, and she has a towel with a concealed zipper pocket in it for car keys & license, the towel is always attached to her.

It happens. Learned this lesson a long time ago. Nowadays I just bring the bare minimum and maybe $20 to cover any expenses so if its lost its not a biggie.

If I can get away with just my personalized Starbucks card, that's what I do. Its got my name just as a very basic ID (like going to hospital), but its no loss at all if its lost.
    Last edited by ZenOps; 03-25-2017 at 06:21 AM.
    0.5 gram microsd delivered by 12,000 pound combustion vehicle and driver.

That sucks! I used to work out at that Goodlife when I lived in the NW. It is usually busy enough mid day that it should still draw enough attention if somebody is cutting off a lock. I recall another thread on here where somebody had their car keys + car stolen from Northland GL as well.

This thread worries me a bit because I usually hit the gym after work so I have my watch, wallet and phone on me.

Originally posted by Kloubek
    That's crappy man. Sorry to hear it.

By the title, I was thinking someone actually mugged you.
    X2. Rob: to take something from (someone) by unlawful force or threat of violence

Still sucks. Had that happen right under my nose in the dressing room while playing hockey. The real rub though: The guy that stole all the money out of my wallet, was a spare player for our own team. He got a game misconduct, went into the dressing room early, but hung around long enough to buy a beer for himself and someone else, even though the guy was notoriously "cheap"...yeah, he used MY money to buy his and the other guy's beer!

I didn't notice until I put my pants on, reached into my back pocket and realized my wallet was put in upside-down and backwards, and about $70 was gone. He hit a couple of the other guys as well.

Guy had balls!

Wow.
    Yes, arena thefts are rampant and some teams I play on, we take our valuables onto the bench in a communal bag.

Had a similar happen at the same GoodLife a few years back. Some guy took my stuff on a Sunday afternoon and went on a spending spree buying gift cards all around Evanston and Sunridge. Good life didn't give 2 fs and they told me the security cams weren't working. Good thing the security cameras at the gas stations were functioning. Got a call 3 months later from CPS saying they found the guy.

The gym doesn't care because theft is rampant in places like that.

"please don't be goodlife"
    *click*
    Fuck. Guess my wallet's staying in the truck from now on too.
    dv/dt

Originally posted by revelations

The thing is you are in a building that should require a pass to access. You lock your items up with a lock and still they get stolen.

While I understand there are further steps you can take this should not be the expected outcome of going to a private gym... ever.

Sucks to hear OP I definitely wouldn't expect that at that location. I would expect it at ones accessible easily by transit but not that one

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast