Quantcast
Short term tow rig - ExtraSlow 2017 edition - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Short term tow rig - ExtraSlow 2017 edition

My Ride
    General Motors Competizione

Kilometers don't bother me any. My truck has 261,000. I bought it with 220,000 I think. I wouldn't bat an eye at 190,000km for a 2008, gas or diesel, especially at $10k.

You can beat a vehicle to death in a lot fewer miles than 200k.
    2007 GMC 2500 Duramax
    1981 GMC C1500 454

My Ride
    K-car

Yep, gone are the days when 200,000 km plus meant trouble (unless its a high performance German car) these domestic truck are very stout. Just bought a fleet Chevy van, a 2015 with just under 600,000 km and 15,000 running hours. Aside from a fuel pump, one alternator, tuneups, one water pump, and general maintenance its all original and still actually runs very well.

I've been in the vehicle business a long time and have seen one extreme to another. I'll continue to say I'd much rather have a vehicle with 200,000 highway km than a 100,000 km in the city. Some care more about those 6 digits than how a vehicle was used or maintained.

Originally posted by corsvette
    Yep, gone are the days when 200,000 km plus meant trouble (unless its a high performance German car) these domestic truck are very stout. Just bought a fleet Chevy van, a 2015 with just under 600,000 km and 15,000 running hours. Aside from a fuel pump, one alternator, tuneups, one water pump, and general maintenance its all original and still actually runs very well.

I've been in the vehicle business a long time and have seen one extreme to another. I'll continue to say I'd much rather have a vehicle with 200,000 highway km than a 100,000 km in the city. Some care more about those 6 digits than how a vehicle was used or maintained.
    I actually think this isn't necessarily true unless you are talking about Diesels and Honda.

Even at that, can't guarantee that the rest of a Diesel truck holds up as well as its Cummins (I mean engine)

I think that the MDS, emissions controls and variable valve timing, though providing immense performance and economy benefits, sacrifices its durability.

Its not just a Ford triton 5.4 that has cam phaser issues... it exists almost in all models of cars except for the stupid simple vtec system.

the fuel cutoff issue has resulted in varying symptoms experienced in both Chevy small blocks and Dodge Hemi engines.

DI is also another issue that we can dive into as well

now... there are ways to mitigate this and that, and some bullet proof engines with good tech, such as the Coyotee 5.0 but overall... new technology compromises durability IMO.

5.4 Windsor built modular engine for instance was reasonably powerful but a pig on gas. I also know one that has well over 300+k and still running sound

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

For me, years worry me more than mileage. I'd rather have a 2009 with 250,000 kms than a 2004 with 150,000.
    Vehicles are plastic and rubber, and that stuff deteriorates with age more so than mileage. A car that's sat still scares me.

I mean, maybe that's just me. Last years truck was 400,000 kms, the car I'm driving I bought at 155,000 or so, and it's 170,000 now.
    Last edited by ExtraSlow; 03-29-2017 at 08:08 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    LNF

Originally posted by ExtraSlow
    For me, years worry me more than mileage. I'd rather have a 2009 with 250,000 kms than a 2004 with 150,000.
    Vehicles are plastic and rubber, and that stuff deteriorates with age more so than mileage. A car that's sat still scares me.

I mean, maybe that's just me. Last years truck was 400,000 kms, the car I'm driving I bought at 155,000 or so, and it's 170,000 now.
    Also don't forget to factor in engine hours.. We have some (GM 2500HD Gas) field trucks that have 150-200k on them with like 8000+ hours. Hwy miles so that is not an issue but they just sit on location idling for days on end in the winter. So it puts wear and tear on the electrical components.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Originally posted by spikerS
    Man, I don't know about you guys, and maybe I am old school...but when I see 200,000+kms on a vehicle, I run for the hills. Like, I am not even considering it. In fact, that magical number for me when I am buying used is 160,000kms. Anything more and it better have some steep discounts and minty. I know vehicles can last way longer, but, then they start nickle and diming you to death.
    The duramax I just sold had 520k kms on it Still going strong, and it looked like this:

Pretty nice shape. And I just bought one with 300k kms. My last gas trucks had 310k kms, 380k kms, and 250k kms respectively. The newest one, a 2008 2500HD with the 6.0L and 250k kms, was by far the most beat.

So it REALLY depends on how well they have been taken care of. Anything driven by employees who don't own the truck = run the hell away.

Originally posted by mzdspd

Also don't forget to factor in engine hours.. We have some (GM 2500HD Gas) field trucks that have 150-200k on them with like 8000+ hours. Hwy miles so that is not an issue but they just sit on location idling for days on end in the winter. So it puts wear and tear on the electrical components.
    I find the best way to figure out if the truck has idled a lot is to take the hours ran and multiply by 60km/h average. See how close the # comes out to the odometer. Most trucks after ~2003 have engine hour meters.

Edit-
    Anything over 5,000 hours for a gas truck, and I'd look elsewhere IMO.

My Ride

Originally posted by HiTempguy1
    I find the best way to figure out if the truck has idled a lot is to take the hours ran and multiply by 60km/h average. See how close the # comes out to the odometer. Most trucks after ~2003 have engine hour meters.
    What an odd way to do that math. I would think most people would divide kilometers by hours.
    2007 GMC 2500 Duramax
    1981 GMC C1500 454

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

This worried Spikeman enough to start his own poll thread.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Why the hell does anyone buy a 3/4 ton truck without the big trailer/camper mirrors? Have seen two on kijiji that looked decent, but have the useless tiny car mirrors on them like a 1500. What a waste.

Also, happy Monday everyone.

My Ride
    LNF

Why the hell does anyone buy a 3/4 ton truck without the big trailer/camper mirrors? Have seen two on kijiji that looked decent, but have the useless tiny car mirrors on them like a 1500. What a waste.

You can pick up a set of tow mirrors off of ebay or amazon for like 150$ and then just pop the door panels off and plug them and install the mirrors. Super easy.

My Ride

8.1s are always spec'd out perfect.
    2007 GMC 2500 Duramax
    1981 GMC C1500 454

My Ride
    K-car

You'll have to become a Dodge guy so you can drive around with the trailer mirror flipped out ALL THE TIME. Don't know why, but that bothers me big time. Don't see Chevy/Ford tow mirrors constantly extended for the "look"

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Originally posted by SKR
    8.1s are always spec'd out perfect.
    You are an evil evil man.

My Ride

One of these years I'm going to get you into one.
    2007 GMC 2500 Duramax
    1981 GMC C1500 454

You'll have to become a Dodge guy so you can drive around with the trailer mirror flipped out ALL THE TIME. Don't know why, but that bothers me big time. Don't see Chevy/Ford tow mirrors constantly extended for the "look"
    click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version

bullhorns man, bullhorns

but flipped up doesn't take up any more space... if you yank those superduty mirrors out, they make it impossible to get through any drivethru

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Nice Brodozer for sale.

2008 with 365,000 km for $14k. Nope nope nope.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Another Gem!
    http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/c...uck/1251313620
    2010 F150 with the 5.4L V8, lovely stripes and 502,000 km

My Ride
    K-car

^^^ Hutterite truck!!!!

Another Gem!
    http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/c...uck/1251313620
    2010 F150 with the 5.4L V8, lovely stripes and 502,000 km

As long as there aren't ticks and the 6r80 is solid... givr

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast