Quantcast
Short term tow rig - ExtraSlow 2017 edition - Page 5 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Short term tow rig - ExtraSlow 2017 edition

Lockout is truly your best option... I do believe the VCT upgrade released in 2012 makes a big difference by ensuring the phasers receive the correct oil pressure, however as Ford was new at this game and basically upgraded the triton's top end with a 3v vvt setup, there was a lot of learnings from this venture.

The 2v was incredibly reliable... so if you just lock out the phasers you at least get the benefit of another exhaust valve and the 6t80 which is quite a reliable trans

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Originally posted by ExtraSlow
    Adding insult to injury, the trailer wiring appears to be damaged. Truck doesn't sense the trailer when it's connected. Yep, I needed that.
    Truck had a blown fuse relating to trailer function. REplaced fuse, and it works on my 7-pin trailer tester now anyway. Be nice if that part is that easy.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    1917 Model T, VW Baja, '18 Ram 2500 CTD/6spd

Also, if your 5.4 is in the year range for the spark plug issues, maybe do some Googling on that. Many 5.4 users just skip replacing plugs which doesn't help high mile 5.4s run well. They can be replaced if you're careful and prepared, and there are tools and procedures if one should happen to break.

My Ride
    KTM

Truck had a blown fuse relating to trailer function. REplaced fuse, and it works on my 7-pin trailer tester now anyway. Be nice if that part is that easy.
    Pretty sure I had a friend who was having issues with connecting the trailer while running and the lights not working. Seemed odd but starting and restarting fixed it.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Ended up needing to replace the 7-way plug at the back of the truck. Replacing the plug was easy. Fucking around for hours and hours trying to decide if I should was maddening.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    KTM

^^^^

Hahaha, been there done that.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Parking brake wasn't grabbing. Cable had stretched significantly. Shortened it up, brakes work now. Probably could use new parking brake shoes and hardware, but hey, at least I have something to hold me on a hill if I need it now.

Truck ran great all weekend. Trailer brakes worked flawlessly.

Rear diff was a little low of fluid, so I topped that up. Handy that I had some gear oil around.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Was out to Kananaskis and back this weekend. Truck ran good, except when backing into campsite. Got the same rough idle that I was talking about before. Really weird that it seems only to be an issue when backing the trailer up.

I`m not fixing it, so it`s more of an annoyance than anything.

My Ride
    '14 Taco

Was out to Kananaskis and back this weekend. Truck ran good, except when backing into campsite. Got the same rough idle that I was talking about before. Really weird that it seems only to be an issue when backing the trailer up.

where'd ya camp?

Didn't read the whole thread but this could be a vac leak, hole in a coupler and you just notice it because of low speeds backing up??
    Or just the load on the engine when power steering is being used at low speeds?? I'm guessing here.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

was at elkwood. Water is off due to ground still frozen. Still lots of snow out there. There are piles of snow at the back of every site where they had to plow out the sites this year. Did the upper lake circuit, and the entire north side was 3 feet deep in snow that wasn`t quite packed enough to stand on top of. Added an extra hour at least to the hike.

Had a great weekend.

My Ride
    '14 Taco

was at elkwood. Water is off due to ground still frozen. Still lots of snow out there. There are piles of snow at the back of every site where they had to plow out the sites this year. Did the upper lake circuit, and the entire north side was 3 feet deep in snow that wasn`t quite packed enough to stand on top of. Added an extra hour at least to the hike.

Had a great weekend.
    we were at interlakes, and there was a similar red f150 so was wondering. def a good weekend

My Ride
    Silverado, G37x

For what you use the truck for I wouldn't bother messing around with the VCT stuff. I had the issue with my last truck for years and never did anything about it until last fall when I locked them out. Didn't really make a difference in how it drove, just a smoother idle.

Originally posted by btimbit
    For what you use the truck for I wouldn't bother messing around with the VCT stuff. I had the issue with my last truck for years and never did anything about it until last fall when I locked them out. Didn't really make a difference in how it drove, just a smoother idle.
    I know there was always talks about how unburnt fuel will blow into the exhaust manifolds and eat up the cat and risk a fire due to the temps... but I really doubt it.

you're right, I've heard tons of people with the tic's operate just fine.

did you find any power decrease or worse efficiency with the lockout?

My Ride
    Silverado, G37x

Originally posted by r3ccOs

I know there was always talks about how unburnt fuel will blow into the exhaust manifolds and eat up the cat and risk a fire due to the temps... but I really doubt it.

you're right, I've heard tons of people with the tic's operate just fine.

did you find any power decrease or worse efficiency with the lockout?
    Guaranteed it'll do some damage long term, but for what OP is doing with the truck it's probably not necessary.

The tune it came with kind of changed where the power was in the rev range, but didn't really make it any faster or slower. Just...different.

Another thing to to look at OP, sometimes it's not the phasors themselves that are bad but simply that they aren't getting enough oil pressure to work properly. It's a much simpler repair to do too. Think they're called VCT solenoids or something like that. Still wouldn't bother myself, though

Originally posted by btimbit

Guaranteed it'll do some damage long term, but for what OP is doing with the truck it's probably not necessary.

The tune it came with kind of changed where the power was in the rev range, but didn't really make it any faster or slower. Just...different.

Another thing to to look at OP, sometimes it's not the phasors themselves that are bad but simply that they aren't getting enough oil pressure to work properly. It's a much simpler repair to do too. Think they're called VCT solenoids or something like that. Still wouldn't bother myself, though
    thats right.. so if by 2012 you didn't have a pooched triton, they released a TSB and new VCT solenoids that gave the proper pressure for the phasers (2 years late of the last triton engine)

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Well, truck has been running great out to Saskatchewan and around southern Alberta. Bucked some strong headwinds for a few hours, which destroyed my fuel economy, but economy returned when the wind calmed down. No lack of power when I let the revs climb. Been very stable in the wind too.
    Will be putting up a kijiji advert for this thing in week or two. Last day of towing is September 4th. Have already had one beyond member interested, if anyone else wants to discuss a purchase let me know.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Have had a couple beyond members asking for a better description. Here it is:
    2009 F150 Supercrew 4x4. 6.5 foot box with tonneau cover and spray in bed liner. 295,000 kms. 5.4L V8 engine and max tow package and FX4 package which includes 3.73 locking rear axle, brake controller, skid plates, 135L fuel tank and power adjustable trailer mirrors. Parking sensors, power drivers seat, fog lights, power rear window. Cloth bucket seats. Come with Compustar 2-way alarm with two remotes and two keys.
    No cracks in windshield. Some rust on front bumper. E Rated Michelin LTX tires. A few small dents and scratches in paint, but overall looks quite good.

Rated to 11,100 lbs towing.

This truck in flawless condition would be worth around $16,000 or more.
    I will be listing on kijiji for $11,500,soon. Beyond price with discounts is $10,000

Fresh oil change. I need this truck until September 4th.
    Last edited by ExtraSlow; 03-30-2018 at 07:51 AM.

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

Ill be interested to see what you get for this considering it seems to be in decent shape. In the past few months i've bought some 2010 supercrew FX4s with anywhere from 80000-135000km for $12000-14500 CAD.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Well, had a small hailstorm Aug 10th hit this truck. I'm booked to have my insurer take a look. Usually the PDR tech or whomever is doing the inspection finds much more than I do. Fingers crossed boys!

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 LastLast