Quantcast
Good starter bike for cycling into work - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Good starter bike for cycling into work

My Ride
    07 997TT

Default Good starter bike for cycling into work

Looking for advice on what you guys would recommend for a bike to commute to/from work. Might not always be on paved surfaces as I could go riding with family when kids get older and would like to think I would bike year round.

Budget would be around $700-2k. Ideally would love to buy something used as like cars that's where u can find some great gems. But if something new is great value would also buy that.

Went to the bike shop in eau claire and they had the norco torrent 7.2 on sale for $1700. Guy said it's a great year round bike and would be what he would recommend. Have yet to pop by bow cycle.

Any suggestions on makes/models for me to check online sites?

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

I'd suggest looking into getting a hybrid or cyclocross with disc brakes if you're just interested in commuting year round with the occasional off-pavement riding. Throw some fenders on that and you're set.

I'm a big fan of Kona's offerings myself:
    - Kona Jake/Jake the Snake (cyclocross)
    - Kona Dew (hybrid)

I also think Specialized Sirrus's (hybrid) are pretty sweet too.
    https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2159675/

Since you're not opposed to buying used, keep an eye out on Kijiji and Pinkbike. Like you said, there's some really great gems out there you could find well within your budget.

How tall are you?

My Ride
    07 997TT

5'10"

That pink bike ad is $800. Looks pretty damn sweet and would do the job.

Would u buy that ie it's a good deal?

My Ride
    07 997TT

https://m.pinkbike.com/buysell/2155454/

Here's one for $2k. Says $3900 new.

I'll second Cyclocross bike for year round commuting. Kona Jakes/Jake the Snakes are known to be some of the best cross bikes.

Originally posted by D'z Nutz
    I'd suggest looking into getting a hybrid or cyclocross with disc brakes if you're just interested in commuting year round with the occasional off-pavement riding. Throw some fenders on that and you're set.

I'm a big fan of Kona's offerings myself:
    - Kona Jake/Jake the Snake (cyclocross)
    - Kona Dew (hybrid)

I also think Specialized Sirrus's (hybrid) are pretty sweet too.
    https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2159675/

Since you're not opposed to buying used, keep an eye out on Kijiji and Pinkbike. Like you said, there's some really great gems out there you could find well within your budget.

How tall are you?
    I second the kona dew, really good starter bike and good for long distances. only complaint is I bought the bottom end model and the "brifters" (combined brake/shifter) are garbage and one broke on me at the 24km mark of a 50km ride last summer haha.
    Last edited by J-hop; 04-18-2017 at 07:51 PM.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Originally posted by 997TT
    5'10"

That pink bike ad is $800. Looks pretty damn sweet and would do the job.

Would u buy that ie it's a good deal?
    I would, except it might be a slightly too small for you.

You're probably more of a medium/large or 56cm frame size. Still it wouldn't hurt to go check it out and see how it fits you. I find when people describe it as "medium" or "large" it's pretty vague. If it's pretty close, you could just get a longer stem and raise the seat.

Originally posted by J-hop

I second the kona dew, really good starter bike and good for long distances. only complaint is I bought the bottom end model and the "brifters" (combined brake/shifter) are garbage and one broke on me at the 24km mark of a 50km ride last summer haha.
    Yeah I've been riding a Kona Dr. Dew (with hydraulic disc brakes) all winter and now that it's getting nice again, I'm finding I've been beating on it a little harder than I normally would have haha! If the weather would cooperate, I'd start riding my Jake to work.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

I've got a Specialized Sirrus Elite for commuting and it's really comfortable. Thinking about getting one of those giant brown leather saddles, they're so comfy!
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    rally pig

im also riding a basic kona dew 2016 and it's alright (on sale for 500$ at Bow Cycle right now), i shouldnt have cheaped out on the disc brake but v brake is fine as long as you take care of it, it's my bad weather bike as it has fenders and wider tires than my road bike

that specialized sirrus is so mighty tempting.. buy my kona and ill take the sirrus?

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

What size is yours? I want my commuter back as the gf wants to use it and I'm not keen on taking my CAAD to work lol.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    rally pig

haha, the kona is a medium (52cm) and opus is a 53cm

Just get an old but quality road or mountain bike, get a tune up and put some road tires on it and you've got a killer commuter. No reason to spend more than a few hundred bucks on a commuter. Last thing you want is spend $2k on something that will see damage, weather, potential theft, vandalism, etc. Look on the bike forums, the whole point of a commuter is it's cheap yet reliable.

I commuted on a 1999 Trek 6000 for years, will go back to that same bike when I move next month.
    Last edited by FixedGear; 04-18-2017 at 09:33 PM.

My Ride
    07 997TT

Noob q but like used cars if u don't know shit about bikes you'll prob want to bring along a buddy or get the bike checked out by a shop I assume. And how would you know the bike isn't stolen?

Kona online has the 2016 JTS for $1699. $200 more than the 2017 Jake (same price as bow cycle).

I'm assuming sales are few and far between. I know they just had their sale

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/402716/pu...stolen-or-not/

You could ask for the serial # and search if it's stolen or ask for the sales receipt but there's no sure way of knowing.

Bike and Brew in Bridgeland also carries Kona. If you don't mind a bit of a drive, Wheel Life in Okotoks and Bike Cafe in Canmore do too. Bike Cafe got me a good price on my Jake cause it was a previous years' model (I liked the colour and components better than the current year model at the time).

My Ride
    07 997TT

Thanks. I saw a 2016 jake from a BC store new for $1100. Guessing previous models go for $300ish less for the jake model as kona online has the 2016 JTS for $1699 ($300 less than 2017 model)

Originally posted by FixedGear
    Just get an old but quality road or mountain bike, get a tune up and put some road tires on it and you've got a killer commuter. No reason to spend more than a few hundred bucks on a commuter. Last thing you want is spend $2k on something that will see damage, weather, potential theft, vandalism, etc. Look on the bike forums, the whole point of a commuter is it's cheap yet reliable.

I commuted on a 1999 Trek 6000 for years, will go back to that same bike when I move next month.
    Depends on the distance you commute IMO. When my ride to work was a measly 5kms I used a heavy bike from the 80s. Now that my commute is over 20kms one way I wouldn't ever go back to using it. Once your riding distance gets above 10km one way IMO you'll want something lighter and with at least half decent components as you put a lot more miles on than the average rider.

Now in 1 day I almost ride as much as I would in an entire week from our old house.
    Last edited by J-hop; 04-19-2017 at 09:03 AM.

My Ride
    Pt Cruiser

Hey 997TT,

Not sure if it's any interest to you but I can sell you a Salsa El GoGo for $500. It comes with a hard case and everything is contained within it. I think it's been ridden once.

http://salsacycles.com/bikes/archive/el_gogo

My Ride
    07 997TT

^ thanks let me do a bit of research on it and get back to you.

My ride is 11 kms each way. Once I get the edworthy I have to go up coach hill road which will be where the exercise kicks in.

My Ride
    Pt Cruiser

Sounds good. My pops bought it to complete a Triathalon several years back. He was 5'10" too.

It's been sitting in the case collecting dust for the last few years.

My Ride
    Fiesta ST

Originally posted by J-hop

Depends on the distance you commute IMO. When my ride to work was a measly 5kms I used a heavy bike from the 80s. Now that my commute is over 20kms one way I wouldn't ever go back to using it. Once your riding distance gets above 10km one way IMO you'll want something lighter and with at least half decent components as you put a lot more miles on than the average rider.

Now in 1 day I almost ride as much as I would in an entire week from our old house.
    I agree. Outside of winter riding I see no point in not using a decent bike as a commuter, as long as you're able to lock it up somewhere safe at work.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast