Quantcast
Cycling GPS/Computers - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Cycling GPS/Computers

My Ride
    Fiesta ST

Default Cycling GPS/Computers

I'm trying to pick one out right now, just wondering what other people are using?

I've used my phone and app's up until now, but I'd like real time display of speed, distance, cadence, etc

My first instincts were the Garmin 520 or the new Wahoo Bolt.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

For me I'm using an old Garmin Fenix 2 and it does what I need: tracks my rides, speed, distance, etc. Also does other sports like skiing/snowboarding, swimming, hiking, running/walking, etc which I use from time to time. I've been on the fence on upgrading to the Fenix 3 now that they're much cheaper ever since the 5 has been released even though I really don't need it. It's just prettier and has a lot of neat newer features.

I almost upgraded last week when my 2 died, but it inconveniently came back to life haha

GPS City sells refurbed ones: $339.95 for the base model and $429.95 for the Sapphire, though the refurbed Sapphire was $389.95 last week so I'm not sure why they raised the price. They're local too.

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

I like my 520. I customized my screen to show everything I need. The battery lasts a 100 mile ride easily. I believe you can still get it online for 300, can't go wrong.

I like my Garmin 520 too. It does everything I need to without any extras I don't need. Thought about the 820 too, but don't know how good touchscreen would be with sweat or rain on it. You missed the Bow Cycle sale by 1 day. The 520 bundle was going for $385 which comes with speed/cadence sensor and HRM.

My Ride
    Toyota’s

+1 for the 520. Syncs to strava automatically, easy to make custom workouts in garmin connect, and has all the data fields I can imagine needing. No issues with GPS tracks. Haven't used it for guidance but I don't understand why people need guidance on a bike ride either. Easily loads GPX tracks to put on the map for a mtb ride though. Plenty of battery life.

Lots of people don't like touch screen devices because you want something tactile while on the move.

Not familiar with the wahoo.

My Ride
    Wankels!

Another one chiming in on the Garmin 520. Lots of data fields and you can have multiple screens. I have Ride time, speed, Power 3s, HR, distance on screen 1, then total elevation gain, temp, time of day on screen 2.

Tons of battery life, intuitive interface, bluetooth and well priced. It's probably too small for touring purposes, and I've had a couple of hiccups with FW updates but that's the only negative I have to say about it.

My Ride
    Fiesta ST

Thanks for the input, looks like the 520 is just the way to go. I know I should have gone to Bow Cycle for the sale, but I just couldn't bring myself to deal with the crowds.

My Ride
    is broken

So this thread got me looking into fitness watches again. The fēnix 5 is $800!! You could buy an android phone and some sensors for half that.
    Even the cheapest cheap Edge 20 is $180. crazy.
    Operator Of Beyond's Official Cardano pool.
    Magical internet money for everyone!