Quantcast
Calgary mayoral election October 16, 2017 - Page 21 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

View Poll Results: Who is getting your vote for Mayor?

Voters
210. You may not vote on this poll
  • Nenshi

94 44.76%
  • Bill Smith

96 45.71%
  • Chabot

7 3.33%
  • Other

13 6.19%
Page 21 of 44 FirstFirst ... 11 20 21 22 31 ... LastLast

Thread: Calgary mayoral election October 16, 2017

Jay Westman's picks which were sent out to all of his employees...

Name:  jay-westman-candidate-choices.png
Views: 384
Size:  85.7 KB

Developer slate from the last CoC municipal election below - some notable names missing...

Name:  9049398.jpg
Views: 356
Size:  38.0 KB
    Last edited by speedog; 10-08-2017 at 11:46 AM.
    Will fuck off, again.

All this interesting talk of massively increased property taxes motivated me to dig up 11 years worth of our monthly CoC TIPP installment taken out of our bank account for a bungalow built in 1955 that we bought 21 years ago.

Our CoC monthly TIPP taken out of our bank account in October from the last 11 years - 2017=$229, 2016=$254, 2015=$239, 2014=$200, 2013=$235, 2012=$203, 2011=$213, 2010=$180, 2009=$183, 2008=$157, 2007=$210..

2017 was a whole $19 more on a monthly basis as compared to 2007 and our house is valued at a whole lot more now than it was in 2007 - a ghastly 8.3% increase over 11 years for our regular monthly payment. The averaged monthly amount over those 11 years amounts to $209.36 - if I take out the high and low years, the average monthly a mount works out to $210.22

The math in our case just does not show any crazy increases as many are claiming and the valuation of our home has continually gone up over those 11 years. Even over Nenshi's reign we have not seen the massive increases that others are claiming - only a 27.2% increase in our case over 8 years (2010-2017 - 2010 was Nenshi's first year) and hell, this year was 10% lower than last year. Average over those 8 years is $194.13 which means this 8 year average is just under 18% less than this year's monthly payment.

Many factors come into play and I suspect many of those who've experienced greater increases are in much newer communities that are still being developed or older communities that are seeing intensive infill development - our community hasn't changed much over the 21 years we've been here, no new retail and only some modest infill or multi-family development. People need to look at their own individual situation and be mindful at factors that are at play with respect to their community and/or residence.
    Last edited by speedog; 10-08-2017 at 05:38 PM.
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride
    Silverado

just want to say that the amount of increases rage posted are true. just because you didn't see increases does not mean they didn't happen. They did.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtsniffer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    just want to say that the amount of increases rage posted are true. just because you didn't see increases does not mean they didn't happen. They did.
    For some, yes. For some, no

But it's folly to use it as a blanket statement that everyone saw these massive increases.
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride
    Silverado

for most, yes. for a few, no.

On average, property tax has gone up 50% in the last 7 years.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Again, residential property tax increases under Nenshi was no different than under Bronco. Same average % with the data the city still has published. The big increases are on the business side. Those are the taxes that people are bitching about, not only as business owners, but as employees who are seeing less work as well due to cuts to compensate for the increase in taxes.

Everything else about individual property taxes isn't representative of anything. It's like saying why our winter was so cold when we have global warming haha.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Well I'm glad that there's someone out there whose property tax has gone up more than 50% to balance out me being below 50%..
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

No, it hasn't. Go look at your own property taxes, go look at anyone's residential property taxes. They have NOT gone up 50% ffs. If it has, it's because you were an early buyer in a new development, and now it's finished. Either that, or you bought a tear down house, and built a new infill.

Stop believing all the shit that you read on facebook and do some god damned research yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    Again, residentialThe big increases are on the business side. Those are the taxes that people are bitching about,
    I wish you were right rage, but pretty much everybody I talk to bitching about "OMG MY TAXES! MY TAXES!" doesn't own a business, and has never owned a business. People are just fucking stupid.
    Last edited by Tik-Tok; 10-08-2017 at 04:52 PM.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Just checked my residential property tax numbers, they went up 63.6% in that time period. In between that, even though Arbour Lake development was completed 15 years ago they rezoned a park area and added 15-20 properties 2 blocks away, and I built out my basement.

Have to check on the rentals to see how much they moved.
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Silverado

Average per dwelling in 2010 $1058.35
    Average per dwelling in 2016 $1578.62
    Increase per dwelling on average between '10 and '16 $520.27

Increase over the 6 years 520.27/1058.35 is 49%

#marth?
    Will quote this for @Tik-Tok maybe you could explain this is a less condescending way.
    Last edited by dirtsniffer; 10-08-2017 at 09:05 PM.

My Ride
    Silverado

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    .. edit - that was total property tax. Residential was actually $788.084m in 2016 and $526.126m in 2011, increase of 49.8%.

edit2 - found my old spreadsheet from a couple years ago. Added current years.

Attachment 80162

That increased property tax by 51% figure being thrown around must be from the raw dollars collected for residential property taxes.
    Source

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Well then, I guess a I'll just shut up then.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by speedog View Post
    Jay Westman's picks which were sent out to all of his employees...

Name:  jay-westman-candidate-choices.png
Views: 384
Size:  85.7 KB

Developer slate from the last CoC municipal election below - some notable names missing...

Name:  9049398.jpg
Views: 356
Size:  38.0 KB
    http://www.cbc.ca/1.4345534

Hate to see city politics going the way of the other 2 levels but here we are.

Looking at rage2's spreadsheet, I'd have to say my community has had a very good run then - I am a happy boy. My increase from 2007 to 2017 is 8.3% while the average over that time from rage2's spreadsheet is 74.7%
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by speedog View Post
    Looking at rage2's spreadsheet, I'd have to say my community has had a very good run then - I am a happy boy. My increase from 2007 to 2017 is 8.3% while the average over that time from rage2's spreadsheet is 74.7%
    The whole assessment setup is pretty arbitrary and at times does not follow market values whatsoever. Pretty much luck of the draw. Ask any realtor haha.

A good friend of mine just went through the assessment review board process. He was pretty pissed off that his place, purchased for the same price as a couple houses down within a couple months of each other was assessed 30% higher and hence subject to higher taxes. Had a solid case with sale prices and what not, but was pretty much ignored and rejected within mins of his presentation. The ruling stated that his house is appraised higher because it had a renovation 15 years ago (floors were redone and house repainted) and completely ignored actual selling price within 2 months even though his place is significantly smaller than the comparable. Just complete arbatrary bullshit haha. He’s got it worst than me, as he’s well into 5 figures worth of taxes yearly, so that 30% is more than what we peons pay in taxes.

What are people's thoughts on where the money will come from if bill gets in and drops the commercial taxation? Obviously you can't decrease a large money source without getting it from somewhere else that is extremely naive thinking.

My guess is residential tax rates will go up to compensate.

The idea that one mayor and council will find some novel money source that didn't even occur to the previous one is also hugely improbable. Remember politics is about how you can manipulate the voting base into thinking you're going to dosomething better while doing something equally as bad (good example: NDP progressive taxation vs PC healthcare tax)
    Last edited by J-hop; 10-09-2017 at 07:53 AM.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I think bill's claim is that he'll find "efficiency" in the budget. So deep cuts.
    Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE View Post
    Pizza preferences are more polarizing than politics.

Quote Originally Posted by J-hop View Post
    What are people's thoughts on where the money will come from if bill gets in and drops the commercial taxation? Obviously you can't decrease a large money source without getting it from somewhere else.

My guess is residential tax rates will go up to compensate.
    Well residential tax rates would have to go up, which is why such changes wouldn't pass. You're not going to get many councilors on board to raise their voters property taxes. It's all lip service.

Smith will just take credit for the elimination of the business tax as the benefit to businesses. Good for all businesses (unless you own your building, in which case you won't see any change). Protects against the big sways like we saw when downtown started to empty and everybody else's taxes went up. The real estate value still lies downtown, so will take the brunt of the change.

The idea that one mayor and council will find some novel money source that didn't even occur to the previous one is hugely improbable and naive.
    Yeah but he said he'll find efficiencies and lower taxes...

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    I think bill's claim is that he'll find "efficiency" in the budget. So deep cuts.
    Every politician says that. That is so stupidly vague. Where are you going to cut? City jobs? Ok great now you've cut your arm off to save pennies. CBE? Ok great now your schools are going to shit and you've again saved pennies. Construction? Now your roads go to shit.

I think people have these naive ideas that huge cuts can be made with little impact to services we all enjoy. Or that somehow there are astronomical inefficiencies that a mayoral change is going to fix.

Although optimistic a lot of these ideas are so niave. People get sucked into campaign promises way too easily

My Ride
    Silverado

Does anyone know how to find out who voted against the new library? I found one article, and it said the only person to vote against the financing was chabot

Page 21 of 44 FirstFirst ... 11 20 21 22 31 ... LastLast