Quantcast
Calgary mayoral election October 16, 2017 - Page 30 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

View Poll Results: Who is getting your vote for Mayor?

Voters
210. You may not vote on this poll
  • Nenshi

94 44.76%
  • Bill Smith

96 45.71%
  • Chabot

7 3.33%
  • Other

13 6.19%
Page 30 of 44 FirstFirst ... 20 29 30 31 40 ... LastLast

Thread: Calgary mayoral election October 16, 2017

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

Quote Originally Posted by Feruk View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What exactly is so horrible about what we have now? Taxes have gone up? They always go up. Smith wants to cut taxes, fund the Green Line, and potentially the stadium. The money is to come from savings on "inefficiencies" (while giving no specifics of course). It shocks me people buy that crap. It's just political Clinton-speak (saying a lot of words with zero substance). Don't get me wrong, I have mixed feelings on Nenshi, but I think people who are voting against Nenshi rather than for someone are the same fucking idiots who helped get the NDP in.
    I don't think what we have now is horrible. I guess it depends to what one is comparing it to and perspective.
    Compared to local leaders back in the UK, I don't think Nenshi is as good as he is made out to be. The Canadian term ‘Bar Star’ comes to mind.

1. City priority and his thought process.
    He voted for the airport tunnel that goes nowhere right? Erm LRT?
    That's a really bad short sighted project that was built under the pretence of a longer term vision. But really its not even a priority and even the potential future traffic flow in that area is grossly exaggerated.. this is Calgary for fuck sake, not LA or the A40 Circular in north London. Maybe he should check out the runway tunnel Heathrow Airport to see how one should really work and that was built in the 70's/80's. Even better, check out the Blackwall tunnel, the channel tunnel,… tunnels that go places.
    Its gets better, would it not have been better to put a train line in there somewhere? Erm LRT?
    It’s his thought process that went into all that when he voted. He has zero clue. To me it makes zero sense.

2. The tapless card for the LRT. Nenshi clearly said he has no idea why it does not work. No shit Sherlock, I would argue its his job to scrutinise and to know why it does not work. What the fuck does he do all day? Find out you dumb fat fuck, your our representative… We have tapless on debit and credit cards. Fuck they have it in London since the early 2000's. That system is waaay more complicated that what we would ever have here in Calgary. His response whilst chomping on a brioche bun.. ‘I don’t know’.
    But again, its not the example, it’s his thought process of how he deals with crucial stuff in comparison to other local leaders globally.

3. Taxes. A lot has be spoken on this thread and everyone has their opinion. Its not that taxes have gone up. Its HOW they have gone up and how they are spent (see first point) Taxes have gone up higher than the rate of inflation for some people.

I would rather have money spent on infrastructure that allows me to get to work (see point 1 & 2). Because if can't get to work..guess what. ..I cant pay the Jabba vision fund. I would like a voice in the city to represent that. So when Im getting fucked in my ass for my property taxes that’s the differences between using lube and going in dry ‘Rocco’ style.

4. His backers.
    Some of Nenshi backers are community leaders, business owners and prominent figures within the community. The funny thing about the east Indian community and the leaders here is that fuck you over. They give with one hand and take with the other. They manipulate newcomers, fixed arranged sham marriages etc, they treat newcomers like complete idiots(especially the ones that are uneducated from rural areas in India) and put them in scenarios where they are financially manipulated. Relative to their wealth and what they take back, they do fuck all for their community.
    These backers are ones that will tell/encourage the uneducated people at the temples etc to vote Nenshi. Part of his voter base.
    I spoke with a recent Indian immigrants from India who are educated. Its always the same story. They clearly said they don’t like the East Indians here (the ones that came in the 70’s. 80’s, and 90’s). Their stories were all similar.
    People that came in 70’s, 80’s and have made their money, are spoilt, Financially manipulate us and treat us like complete idiots.

Im a immigrant, I can’t tell you how fucking hard it is coming here and starting from nothing. At one point I was almost homeless. I had nowhere to go. That’s a horrible feeling, I can’t even begin to describe it. its either that or work with these members of the community and the proposals were DIRTY. I opted out.

I even recall before the first time jabba was voted in. He was paraded by these figures around to the various East Indian business owners having his belly rubbed whilst sitting there in dim light with a glint in his eye. He talked about how he would change city hall. Yeah fucking right, how did that turn out...

So if you voting for Nenshi, your backing these cunts. I don’t want these self proclaimed righteous figures there, they do nothing for the newcomers of my parents motherland.

Another member here mentioned money laundering. That’s the tip of the iceberg my friend. Don’t get me started. You think the Bills backers are dirty? These guys are dirtier, they make all the others look like Boy scout virgins.

As for Billabong. I never argued he was better or quoted his polices.

My argument was people are not voting for that or how out of touch Bill is.
    People did not vote for Trump to make America great again, People did not vote for Brexit to make the UK better again. They voted as the current members in office were making decisions that were not benefiting them but for external parties/partners. Same is happening here. Its not about Bill. We know how shit he is. Im not arguing it. Rage said it best. Nothing will change. But Nenshi wont be the making stupid choices under the pretence of it was a good decision.

Its actually about Jabba.
    Jabba has never had to defend his position. Its all new for him, like I said he rode the wave of change and optimism that was started by Obama.. Now it’s the other side, Nenshi has to validate his thinking and how he has gone about it. His supporters are having a wankathon of the stuff he has done in comparison to the others.

Whichever way this city goes and the whichever way the vote goes. I think Jabba will win.

But its the LRT north and south. That’s the bottom line. Anyone who has been to any of the great cities globally... its the Public Transport. People need to get to work. With work, people can pay their taxes, put food on the table and go about solving their day to day problems. A lot of the other projects can fit into that. Its like lego. Nenshi needs to promote this city, not just talk about having conversations. He needs to Oprah that jabba voice. Its not just about that 1 vote.
    If people want to go out to a new stadium, it’s the LRT.If you want to provide new support services etc, it’s the LRT. Cycle network, LRT, We can have a hissy fit all we want but that’s the reality of it, it all plugs in like lego and im a car guy. Look at new stadiums built in other countries. Public transport is factored in heavily. He has not focused on that, points 1 and 2 are prime examples of how he is not as great as he is made out to be. Its all song and dance. The city is doing all these projects and forgetting the important one that binds it all.

If Nenshi was working as hard, two things would happen. He would be skinny as fuck as he would be stressed out and super focused. Or he would be super obese with all the comfort dinners he has had to attend to ‘persuade’ and gain ‘support’ to get shit done. He is neither. He is just… fat.

Ive said it before, Nenshi came as the Hero the city needed. Now he’s not the hero the city needs, he’s the fat villain that the city just feeds.

This vote is about toilet paper at the end of the day.. you are either a 1ply or a 2 ply toilet paper person. How clean is your arse feeling today?

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

And here I bought it was just your F1 posts are hilarious.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    something green

Quote Originally Posted by R-Audi View Post
    Not sure hes the guy Id want publically supporting me.. (and the one I referenced above) Its normal for nice philanthropists have assasination attempts on their lives right? From what I heard he was laundering money for someone (presumed HA) and wasn't up on payments.. only reason hes alive was because of his car. A few of his employees were quite worried about going to work for the next while... and Strategic didnt exactly have the best rep prior either. (Source: various real estate brokers and industry guys) Take it for what its worth of course.
    Yeah, I think having Denis Coderre or Joe Ceci would be a better endorsement....
    Too loud for Aspen

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    My brother summed it up nicely. Chabot is a perfect example of how sticking to your platform instead of playing politics is a terrible campaign strategy.
    So sad. So true.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    Ford F150

Race card wasn't working, Now Nenshi is attacking Smith on campaign finances. http://www.calgarysun.com/2017/10/13...ection-nemesis

As we all know, Nenshi believes in spending as little as possible to win an election. Oh wait http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...er-chart-FTuCl
    I can eat more hot wings than you.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by CompletelyNumb View Post
    Race card wasn't working, Now Nenshi is attacking Smith on campaign finances. http://www.calgarysun.com/2017/10/13...ection-nemesis

As we all know, Nenshi believes in spending as little as possible to win an election. Oh wait http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...er-chart-FTuCl
    Well, Wenzel emptied his war chest. That's the reason Nenshi make much less of a splash on this run. While Smith basically broadcast Nenshi's Boston Uber ride on Global every 15mins.

Quote Originally Posted by msommers View Post
    So sad. So true.
    Also Chabot got 0 charisma. It's basically as important what you say as how you say it.

My Ride
    Ford F150

Article did mention that. Nenshi's backers already donated 300k to him this year, so it's possible he'll get less official "campaign donations". I'm sure if you add them up he will still take the cake.

Last election he spent 25.5 times more than his opposition. Just more hypocrisy.
    I can eat more hot wings than you.

Seems like a non-issue at this point but there is a good article by Metro about the Provincial Govt flights.

Basically saying that candidate Bill Smith is almost certainly not the one involved on any flights.

http://www.metronews.ca/news/calgary...manifests.html

My Ride
    something green

Bill Smith, or even B smith is probably one of the most common names out there, Edmonton had a mayor called Bill Smith. You'd think Nenshi and his somewhat annoying twitter crusaders would have done more checking before they went full on with that, but then again I think that camp is pretty nervous right now. I am sure they thought this was in the bag a few months ago.
    Too loud for Aspen

My Ride
    Mall Crawler

Wow

sig deleted by moderator, because they are useless

A Muslim and 'a Jew' working together to build something. How wonderfully progressive.

My Ride
    Silverado

I'm voting for smith just to watch the hipsters cry

Quote Originally Posted by dirtsniffer View Post
    I'm voting for smith just to watch the hipsters cry
    I'm guessing this didn't get much traction as hoped over at CP?

Quote Originally Posted by kertejud2 View Post
    A Muslim and 'a Jew' working together to build something. How wonderfully progressive.

"The only successful Arab/Jewish partnership since the dawn of human culture."

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Here’s an interesting racism story. Nimra Amjad running for school trustee targeted with racist posts. Police investigate hate crime. Nenshi also referenced her story.

https://globalnews.ca/news/3679036/r...investigation/

Doubles down on the incident as recent as this week.

http://www.metronews.ca/news/calgary...f-conduct.html

Her story keeps changing, refuse to cooperate with investigation. Police drop the investigation after the alleged guy gets fired. Turns out she dated the guy even though she said at first she didn’t know the guy.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...ting-1.4355351

Her official statement is just weird.

https://www.facebook.com/notes/nimra...0402504538681/

There were lots of comments questioning her statement on Facebook, they’re all gone now as she deleted all of them except for the one supporting her. What a snake haha.

What a fascinating and entertaining this years election has become.
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Last edited by 01RedDX; 09-23-2020 at 12:38 PM.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Quote Originally Posted by 01RedDX View Post

The trustee candidate is clearly complicit in this and I think she's trying to protect someone close to her campaign or a relative.
    I don't even think it's that nefarious. Seems to me (from other articles written) she's pretty much been outed as going on online dates while she admits was seeing someone else "for a long time". Thats why she's refusing to talk to the cops, and her story keeps changing with the media.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by Tik-Tok View Post
    I don't even think it's that nefarious. Seems to me (from other articles written) she's pretty much been outed as going on online dates while she admits was seeing someone else "for a long time". Thats why she's refusing to talk to the cops, and her story keeps changing with the media.
    Agreed. I don’t think she’s stupid enough to file a complaint with the cop knowing it was bullshit. Or maybe she’s that dumb.

The CBC journalists twitter has someone mentioning she was asking for money for dates. No confirmation, but lol if it’s true.

Quote Originally Posted by Tik-Tok View Post
    That could definitely explain why she initially denied knowing the victim. So who made the fake account and comments, could it be the ex? Had to be someone with knowledge of the relationship and an axe to grind.

This is getting crazy.

[–]cumboy1999 [score hidden] 2 minutes ago
    ... and with that, I'm banned from /r/Calgary.
    This may be the end for old /r/Calgary.

Sockpuppet account.

Page 30 of 44 FirstFirst ... 20 29 30 31 40 ... LastLast