Quantcast
Calgary mayoral election October 16, 2017 - Page 39 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

View Poll Results: Who is getting your vote for Mayor?

Voters
210. You may not vote on this poll
  • Nenshi

94 44.76%
  • Bill Smith

96 45.71%
  • Chabot

7 3.33%
  • Other

13 6.19%
Page 39 of 44 FirstFirst ... 29 38 39 40 ... LastLast

Thread: Calgary mayoral election October 16, 2017

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Quote Originally Posted by FraserB View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I doubt that his supporters will either care or change. It’s pretty clear that a lot of his supporters feel that it’s completely ok to denigrate/ridicule or shame people for expressing or even having a different view than they do. Nenshi basically saying fuck you I’m not changing to everyone who didn’t vote for him in his speech is just going to cement that attitude in people’s minds.

It seems that it’s not enough for them to celebrate that Nenshi won, it has to be done by gloating and trying to keep dragging other people through the mud. It’s not “Nenshi won, that’s awesome”, it’s “sensible/smart/intelligent people beat the retards/vapid populists who didn’t support our side, now let’s try to slag Smith or journalists who don’t agree with us some more”.
    And the same couldn't be said if Smith had won? Rrriiigghhht. Don't forget, it's only the loudmouths youre hearing/reading, and there are plenty of them in the Smith camp, one just has to read this thread to find a few.

My Ride
    Exploded.

Quote Originally Posted by J-hop View Post
    I was at their arena over the summer they deserve a team for sure, it’s amazing. I wouldn’t feel bad about losing the flames to them.
    Yeah, wouldn't be surprised if they just pack up and GTFO. A vote for Nenshi, IMO, was a vote for the Flames to leave.

Did anyone go to Smith HQ at Eau Claire?

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

Sounds like a resounding victory for tolerance.
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-18-2019 at 12:27 AM.

My Ride
    Lives in the left lane.

The Flames aren't going anywhere. And if they do it will be for purely business reasons completely unrelated to a mayoral election.
    I absolutely love that the city is standing up to CSEC's attempted bullying.
    DOES ANYONE NEED A GO-JUICE?

My Ride
    2013 Genesis Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by heavyD View Post
    What really concerns me is that there is little or no tolerance for opposite views. If you don't support Nenshi you are a Rick Bell, of low intelligence, uninformed, racist, etc. There's basically zero respect for opinions that are contrary to his supporters. It's a dangerous slope as that's the kind of divisive groupthink that fuels the extreme groups like bigots and racists.
    There's a lack of respect because most vocal Bill Smith supporters were basing their support on poor reasoning.

You're entitled to vote however you like but since your vote affects everyone, you're not immune to criticism when the main argument for your vote is poor. Those who could articulate solid reasons for their vote were most likely treated with respect, even if others disagreed. Unfortunately when the candidate in question runs on "I'm not the incumbent" and doesn't give any real policy plans or back up any thing he says, it doesn't give his supporters much to go off.

Luckily the city came out in record numbers to fight against this sort of strategy.

Best part is all of the money flushed down the drain by those "save Calgary" folks. Mwahaha

My Ride
    Lives in the left lane.

The most puzzling part was all of the young(ish) people of my age bracket (under 35) who were such vocal supporters for Smith. It's like, yeah, I know you work in an oil company as a mid-level manager, but you're liberal as fuck on every issue that actually matters..

I feel like a lot of the young professional O&G mindset in Calgary is to toe some weird traditional conservative Calgary line that hasn't been actually popular or relevant in this province for 15-20 years.

Quote Originally Posted by dj_patm View Post
    There's a lack of respect because most vocal Bill Smith supporters were basing their support on poor reasoning.

You're entitled to vote however you like but since your vote affects everyone, you're not immune to criticism when the main argument for your vote is poor. Those who could articulate solid reasons for their vote were most likely treated with respect, even if others disagreed. Unfortunately when the candidate in question runs on "I'm not the incumbent" and doesn't give any real policy plans or back up any thing he says, it doesn't give his supporters much to go off.

Luckily the city came out in record numbers to fight against this sort of strategy.

Best part is all of the money flushed down the drain by those "save Calgary" folks. Mwahaha
    Eventually the City of Calgary will need to drastically raise residential and business property taxes or drastically reduce spending.

Taking on more debt is not an option, unless the province will allow the city to raise their debt ceiling limit.

Or demolish 25% of the downtown office towers.

You keep criticizing Smith supporters, but Nenshi supporters also seem to be oblivious to the financial reckoning fast approaching.

Trump's possible Yellen replacement wants to raise rates up 350 basis points. Debtors will be slammed - hard. Bye bye easy money.
    Last edited by suntan; 10-17-2017 at 10:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by adamc View Post
    The most puzzling part was all of the young(ish) people of my age bracket (under 35) who were such vocal supporters for Smith. It's like, yeah, I know you work in an oil company as a mid-level manager, but you're liberal as fuck on every issue that actually matters..

I feel like a lot of the young professional O&G mindset in Calgary is to toe some weird traditional conservative Calgary line that hasn't been actually popular or relevant in this province for 15-20 years.
    I have a similar experience but I don't think they are "liberal as fuck" on everything else. At least the people I know and my circle.

My Ride
    Lives in the left lane.

well I mean I can only speak for those in my own circle, but generally there is support for social medicine/welfare/other societal safety net funding, right to choose on abortion, pro gun control (or at the very least willing to talk about it). I'm like, y'all are not actually conservative at all if you actually think about the issues at hand rather than just regurgitating the conservative rhetoric that's being shared on Facebook. Just because you don't like Nenshi for whatever strange reason.

My Ride
    Silverado

Speaking as a member of that group. Most of the people I know are social liberals and fiscal conservatives.

My Ride
    A bunch of Nissans..duh.

Last edited by NissanFanBoy; 11-20-2017 at 11:05 PM.

My Ride
    Silverado

well I mean I can only speak for those in my own circle, but generally there is support for social medicine/welfare/other societal safety net funding, right to choose on abortion, pro gun control (or at the very least willing to talk about it). I'm like, y'all are not actually conservative at all if you actually think about the issues at hand rather than just regurgitating the conservative rhetoric that's being shared on Facebook. Just because you don't like Nenshi for whatever strange reason.
    Ya, I'm pretty sure just through the words in about not creating a fuck ton of debt and you have the vast majority of Canadian 'conservatives'.

Don't worry, by the time you millennials are old enough to truly care or have semblance of power - Either the world will be blown to pieces or we will all be virtual debt slave pawns in the matrix.

So does this mean more bike lanes?
    0.5 gram microsd delivered by 12,000 pound combustion vehicle and driver.

Quote Originally Posted by NissanFanBoy View Post
    Don't mean to derail, but anyone follow the Allan Hunter story in the Airdrie elections? Way more interesting than anything going on in Calgary...
    I did nazi see that coming.

58% turnout for the election.

Fascinating. Looking at 2013's results, Nenshi gained very few new votes. Looks like all the additional voting was for Smith.
    Last edited by suntan; 10-17-2017 at 11:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrema View Post
    Farkas and others with ties to UCP/Mannning Centre will make sure Nenshi on the losing side on most votes. It was hard enough for him to get 8 votes on anything with last council, it's will worse now. Nenshi is basically a lame duck now.
    I don't think it will be too much different than the last one.

You've got Nenshi, Woolley, Farrell, and Carra as one bloc. Chu, Stevenson, Magliocca, Demong, Jones as 'the opposed.'

DCU and Keating stay as swing votes.

So for the new people.

Farkas basically replaces Chabot as a 'no, no, no' fiscal hawk, and Gondek replaces Pincott as the not-quite inner-city, not quite suburban, urban candidate. I know they aren't the same wards, but their role in council is essentially the same.

Davison is a swing vote. Will be on the side of the inner city candidates when it comes to street safety, pedestrian realm, etc. But is also a big R1 guy, which will go against them. Still not quite sure which way he leans more, but Pootmans was kind of that way too.

Chahal has a real strong case to actually be the difference maker he aimed to be. Honestly have no idea how he will vote on anything.

My Ride
    Lives in the left lane.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtsniffer View Post
    Speaking as a member of that group. Most of the people I know are social liberals and fiscal conservatives.
    Can you explain what that means? If you're socially liberal you support services for the disadvantaged members of our society. Those programs need to be paid for with tax money. You can't say "I support low income housing initiatives.. but somebody else should pay for them.."

Can you explain what that means? If you're socially liberal you support services for the disadvantaged members of our society. Those programs need to be paid for with tax money. You can't say "I support low income housing initiatives.. but somebody else should pay for them.."
    It's something naive people say.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by dirtsniffer View Post
    Libertarians is the word.

Page 39 of 44 FirstFirst ... 29 38 39 40 ... LastLast