Quantcast
Calgary mayoral election October 16, 2017 - Page 5 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

View Poll Results: Who is getting your vote for Mayor?

Voters
210. You may not vote on this poll
  • Nenshi

94 44.76%
  • Bill Smith

96 45.71%
  • Chabot

7 3.33%
  • Other

13 6.19%
Page 5 of 44 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Calgary mayoral election October 16, 2017

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by CompletelyNumb
    So realistically, is there room for a newcomer to sweep in and win this election? 52% support is low, but it's still enough to get re-elected. Are the good candidates just waiting until he loses all support before they pop up?
    As far as I have been in Calgary, once you are elected, you are there until you call it quits. And most presses on Nenshi has been positive,

So people that actually do have a chance don't really join in the race if there is an incumbent. Don't want a lost in the resume.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 05-03-2017 at 12:22 PM.

My Ride
    G37X

Originally posted by heavyD
    Nenshi really does need to be humbled. He hasn't been a terrible mayor or anything but he gets far too much credit for a guy that hasn't exactly been creative as his answer to everything is to raise taxes. Anyone can do that. He's also kind of embarrassing at times as well as I cringe at some of his condescending twitter spats. That said what a sad sack group of candidates. I simply may not vote.

Also can the sheep in ward 7 get a spine and get Farrell out of city hall? Fuck that ward really pisses me off.
    I'm embarrassed to say that I voted for the purple slob on his first go around. We don't need a twitter twit running our city anymore. Where does he buy those suits anyways? Ted's tent & awning?

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by Hallowed_point

I'm embarrassed to say that I voted for the purple slob on his first go around. We don't need a twitter twit running our city anymore. Where does he buy those suits anyways? Ted's tent & awning?
    Well that's the only thing the purple reign has to worry about.

City is in the worst economy in decades and everybody looking for a scapegoat. So may as well show who is the boss by laying off all the politicians and replace them with rookies.

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

Originally posted by Xtrema

Well that's the only thing the purple reign has to worry about.

City is in the worst economy in decades and everybody looking for a scapegoat. So may as well show who is the boss by laying off all the politicians and replace them with rookies.
    I think his drop in popularity has less to do with the economy and more that his antics are wearing thin.

My Ride
    G37X

I think his drop in popularity has less to do with the economy and more that his antics are wearing thin.
    He is a one trick pony.

For those that care, both Nenshi and Chabot are pro-bike lane. Chabot was on the builder's slate in the last election, Nenshi was not.
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride
    something green

I quit working in the downtown area because of the parking and bike lane situation. However, recently I took on a a big chunk o fservice work thats got me working down there again. Looking at the amount of condo development down there, I can see how people like the bike lanes, and how biking does make some sense down there, so I wouldn't be against a mayoral candidate being for bike lanes, I would be against a mayoral candidate that thinks the city did a good job of implementing the bike lanes... Even cyclists should be pissed at some of the meandering lanes that dead end and the general design of it, its a mess that no traffic engineer should ever be proud of, ever.... If Chabot came out and said, lets redesign it and some cycling bylaws to make it better for everyone, he would probably get votes from all the different commuter groups...
    Too loud for Aspen

My Ride
    Bicycle

That's said, if everyone is still able to order double meat at Subway, less will give a shit about his antics.

Originally posted by Maxt
    I quit working in the downtown area because of the parking and bike lane situation. However, recently I took on a a big chunk o fservice work thats got me working down there again. Looking at the amount of condo development down there, I can see how people like the bike lanes, and how biking does make some sense down there, so I wouldn't be against a mayoral candidate being for bike lanes, I would be against a mayoral candidate that thinks the city did a good job of implementing the bike lanes... Even cyclists should be pissed at some of the meandering lanes that dead end and the general design of it, its a mess that no traffic engineer should ever be proud of, ever.... If Chabot came out and said, lets redesign it and some cycling bylaws to make it better for everyone, he would probably get votes from all the different commuter groups...
    The track was set up the way it was as the result of numerous compromises, conditions, and a whole other whack of reasons stemming from the fact the commuter groups often have incompatible demands.

Not sure what you'd re-design but it would be a pretty safe bet that it wouldn't bring many commuter groups together.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by kertejud2

Not sure what you'd re-design but it would be a pretty safe bet that it wouldn't bring many commuter groups together.
    12 ave in front of school. Remove parking on the right and force anyone dropping off people to go onto the streets instead of on 12 Ave. Then straighten out the car lanes.

Then again, the fucked up bike lane could have also been designed by committee approach that Maxt is talking about. Sometimes democractic process doesn't yield the best results. Just look at Apple products now.

That's my only complain on 12 Ave bike lane.

I also think Stephen Ave Bike lane is retarded because of pedestrian traffic. Everything else looks alright.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 05-12-2017 at 02:52 PM.

My Ride
    F355 Challenge/996TT/FD3S/968 Turbo/NSX

Originally posted by Maxt

Ok, where is Maxt and what have you done with him? It's obvious you are an imposter.......

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Then again, the fucked up bike lane could have also been designed by committee approach that Maxt is talking about. Sometimes democractic process doesn't yield the best results. Just look at Apple products now.
    Hey now, don't bring Apple into this!

Originally posted by soloracer
    Ok, where is Maxt and what have you done with him? It's obvious you are an imposter.......
    Clearly with the Northland mall construction he hasn't driven Northland drive lately.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

12 ave in front of school. Remove parking on the right and force anyone dropping off people to go onto the streets instead of on 12 Ave. Then straighten out the car lanes.
    Not bad, but now come up with a plan that doesn't result in a net loss in parking spaces.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Not bad, but now come up with a plan that doesn't result in a net loss in parking spaces.
    Nobody can stop on South side of 12th Ave before 8:30am. I'm not sure why the school is allowed that exemption.

Last I checked, they are all fenced in at that school. Even if they want to keep the loading/parking zone, just take it out of the giant playground.

Originally posted by rage2
    Clearly with the Northland mall construction he hasn't driven Northland drive lately.
    Any comments on the Northland lanes Kertejud? Flawless execution just like all the other bike lanes across town?
    Originally posted by Arash Boodagh
    Before I start pwning all the members with my findings.
    Plus, is it true you can feed a pig elephant dong and it will still grow and build meat?
    Originally posted by Toma
    rx7_turbfoags best friend
    Toma the homophobe?

Originally posted by rx7_turbo2

Any comments on the Northland lanes Kertejud? Flawless execution just like all the other bike lanes across town?
    A flawed cycle lane is better than no cycle lane. I'll care about how flawless they are when any other transportation infrastructure in the city is.

A flawed cycle lane is better than no cycle lane.
    Come on now stop trolling, you know that's just silly, right? You post intelligent stuff here on Beyond even if I don't agree with it all the time, but that comment is beyond stupid, surely you see that?
    Plus, is it true you can feed a pig elephant dong and it will still grow and build meat?
    Toma the homophobe?

Come on now stop trolling, you know that's just silly, right? You post intelligent stuff here on Beyond even if I don't agree with it all the time, but that comment is beyond stupid, surely you see that?
    Again, why should I care if it isn't flawless when no other infrastructure in the city is, or is even held to such a ridiculous standard to justify its existence?

Again, why should I care if it isn't flawless when no other infrastructure in the city is, or is even held to such a ridiculous standard to justify its existence?
    You said "A flawed cycle lane is better than no cycle lane". That's horseshit and you know it. Cycle infrastructure that annoys motorists, endangers cyclists and generally adds to the animosity between the 2 groups is NOT better than no cycle track at all.

The same holds true for every other type of infrastructure in The City. Your attitude of "Well something's better than nothing" is really at the root of why so many infrastructure projects in this city are so fucked up and designed with what seems like such incompetence. Something's not always better than nothing, any amount of time on this planet should have taught you that.
    Toma the homophobe?

You said "A flawed cycle lane is better than no cycle lane". That's horseshit and you know it. Cycle infrastructure that annoys motorists, endangers cyclists and generally adds to the animosity between the 2 groups is NOT better than no cycle track at all.
    Describe a flawless cycle track that could occur in the city, noting that flawless means that for both drivers AND cyclists, and then we can see where we stand.

A cyclist on the road isn't in a safe position, and they annoy motorists, which creates animosity between the two groups. So put them into a cycle track and it is better than no cycle track. This was the starting position, not 'everybody was happy and lived in harmony until the cycle tracks came along.'

The same holds true for every other type of infrastructure in The City. Your attitude of "Well something's better than nothing" is really at the root of why so many infrastructure projects in this city are so fucked up and designed with what seems like such incompetence. Something's not always better than nothing, any amount of time on this planet should have taught you that.
    If you're holding out for the flawless project in a city of a million plus people, all you will have is nothing. Spending time pitching an idea to more than one group of people would teach you that. There are times when something is absolutely necessary and there are times when something is just nice to have but flawless just isn't an option for either be it due to budget constraints, political constraints or logistical constraints (or any combination of the three).

Page 5 of 44 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 15 ... LastLast