Quantcast
Calgary mayoral election October 16, 2017 - Page 25 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

View Poll Results: Who is getting your vote for Mayor?

Voters
210. You may not vote on this poll
  • Nenshi

94 44.76%
  • Bill Smith

96 45.71%
  • Chabot

7 3.33%
  • Other

13 6.19%
Page 25 of 44 FirstFirst ... 15 24 25 26 35 ... LastLast

Thread: Calgary mayoral election October 16, 2017

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Sugarphreak is slipping. That’s news from 2 pages back, and that’s at 40 posts per page.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Ford F150

Well, the sun DID post a new article about it tonight. Maybe he's playing the card again
    I can eat more hot wings than you.

Larry Heather comes out swinging in the mayoral debate on the issues that matter: 'stop forcing the social engineering and stop hiring women to be Police Officers and Fire Fighters. They aren't Wonder Woman.'

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-18-2019 at 12:29 AM.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Out of curiosity, has anyone seen the racist attacks on Nenshi on social media? He claims there are bots sending anti Muslim and anti gay stuff against him but I haven’t seen anything, but I’m also not actively searching for it.
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Ford F150

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Out of curiosity, has anyone seen the racist attacks on Nenshi on social media? He claims there are bots sending anti Muslim and anti gay stuff against him but I haven’t seen anything, but I’m also not actively searching for it.
    There was some on Twitter. By some, I mean less racial slurs than you'll here in one game of call of duty online.

Just like all of Nenshi's claims, completely exaggerated.

http://calgaryherald.com/news/local-...n-mayoral-race

“If we don’t call out hatred when we see it, that’s actually a very big problem, because we need to be able to name and shame this kind of stuff,” Nenshi said. “I think it’s important for them to say, ‘Look that’s not a good reason to vote for me. Vote for me for my policies.’”
    yet in the video he appeals to the Pakistani community to "vote for diversity". Some will argue that's open to interpretation, but it's pretty clear to me he is basically saying vote for me because I am the only one that isn't white.
    ---

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

This thread makes it abundently clear some people don't understand how taxation works, or how incremental cost savings add up to overall greater savings.

They also can't seem to comprehend how management in any corporation worls, but also how it doubles down in government.

As a mid-level manager, your goal in any corp is to acrue power. You do this by getting a larger budget and more employees. Once seen in this light, balloning government budgets have nothing to do with service, and everything to do with management growing their power.

Management needs to have the shit cut out of it across all levels of gov, starting at the municipal level. It will certainly.make a difference to tax rates once you starting chopping hundreds of mid level $100k-$150k jobs and of course, the benefits that go with it (add another $50k/year in benefits to those numbers between pension, health benefits, etc).

Added up across all departments, plus smarting spending = lower taxes.

As for not understanding taxes, if the tax base grows, there is more revenue. There should be no need to INCREASE the tax rate if the base has grown. It automatically self corrects. Additionally, the government in the previous year's budget already had money allocated for capital improvements. Where the fuck does the need for another tax raise come from eqch time a city does a major project? It makes no sense as the tax rate hasn't gone down due to the previous budget already enacted to pay for the projects, so that means that the gov basically assumes they will always increase revenue year over year regardless of population increase, and regardless if major projects have already been complete.

Its absolute bullshit.

My Ride
    19 Jeep Wrangler, 20 Hyundai Palisade

Quote Originally Posted by dj_patm View Post
    They're not high. At all.

Does Bill Smith realize he can't just cancel the Green Line and more importantly, why the hell would anyone want to do that?
    He does because he doesn't want to cancel it. He asking why not build it a different way. Right now the plan is to stop at what 16th AVE N? That's not very useful.

This whole money will disappear if we don't spend now is BS. If money goes to another project instead that deserves it more I am ok with that. Nothing wrong with asking to take another look. If the council did that more often we may not have so many works of art around town right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Aleks View Post
    He does because he doesn't want to cancel it. He asking why not build it a different way. Right now the plan is to stop at what 16th AVE N? That's not very useful.
    Right now the plan is to get the tunnel section done first, which is going from 16th Ave N through downtown and the Beltline, before getting down to the maintenance yard and as far south as the funding takes it (162nd).

The original plan didn't have a tunnel from downtown to 16th Ave or into the Beltline, nor did it have a very thorough cost estimate in the first place (and didn't include the section of the North LRT that is being completed).

Smith asking why they aren't building it another way is just a way to try and gain support of people as uninformed about the project as he is.

This whole money will disappear if we don't spend now is BS. If money goes to another project instead that deserves it more I am ok with that. Nothing wrong with asking to take another look. If the council did that more often we may not have so many works of art around town right now.
    What makes you think the Green Line isn't the most looked at and scrutinized project the city has ever undertaken?

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

Quote Originally Posted by HiTempguy1 View Post
    As for not understanding taxes, if the tax base grows, there is more revenue. There should be no need to INCREASE the tax rate if the base has grown. It automatically self corrects. Additionally, the government in the previous year's budget already had money allocated for capital improvements. Where the fuck does the need for another tax raise come from eqch time a city does a major project? It makes no sense as the tax rate hasn't gone down due to the previous budget already enacted to pay for the projects, so that means that the gov basically assumes they will always increase revenue year over year regardless of population increase, and regardless if major projects have already been complete.

Its absolute bullshit.
    I learnt this from Sim City..

Quote Originally Posted by HiTempguy1 View Post

Its absolute bullshit.
    Welcome to the world of the variable cost of sprawl, where things don't scale efficiently.

My Ride
    19 Jeep Wrangler, 20 Hyundai Palisade

Quote Originally Posted by kertejud2 View Post
    Right now the plan is to get the tunnel section done first, which is going from 16th Ave N through downtown and the Beltline, before getting down to the maintenance yard and as far south as the funding takes it (162nd).

The original plan didn't have a tunnel from downtown to 16th Ave or into the Beltline, nor did it have a very thorough cost estimate in the first place (and didn't include the section of the North LRT that is being completed).

Smith asking why they aren't building it another way is just a way to try and gain support of people as uninformed about the project as he is.

What makes you think the Green Line isn't the most looked at and scrutinized project the city has ever undertaken?
    3 councilors voted against. Are they also uninformed? I would assume they would be among the most informed on the project. Phase 1 stops 8 stations short North, and 5 going South, stopping at Sheppard which is 126 ave, not 162nd. Taking another look even if this is the most scrutinized project in history of Calgary will make the money disappear and cancel this project somehow?? Last I heard the construction was slated to start in 2020.

click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

I'm impressed by how close the Nenshi and Smith votes are on here. Monday should be a fun one!

My Ride
    Ford F150

Quote Originally Posted by kenny View Post
    http://calgaryherald.com/news/local-...n-mayoral-race

yet in the video he appeals to the Pakistani community to "vote for diversity". Some will argue that's open to interpretation, but it's pretty clear to me he is basically saying vote for me because I am the only one that isn't white.
    And Smith has called him out on it. http://m.calgarysun.com/2017/10/10/b...tir-up-support

My Ride
    Toyota, VQ35DE, B58

Default Green Line

Quote Originally Posted by Aleks View Post
    3 councilors voted against. Are they also uninformed? I would assume they would be among the most informed on the project. Phase 1 stops 8 stations short North, and 5 going South, stopping at Sheppard which is 126 ave, not 162nd. Taking another look even if this is the most scrutinized project in history of Calgary will make the money disappear and cancel this project somehow?? Last I heard the construction was slated to start in 2020.

My concern for that is, why North side got shafted with only one station standing, where south side got more station allocated. Clearly, there is more ridership coming from North side heading to DT, than the other way around.

If Bill can deliver a promise that re-evaluating the green line and change the current design (create more ridership coming from North), it'll be a shoo-in for this election for him.

"There are known knowns. These are things we know that we know. There are known unknowns. That is to say, there are things that we know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we don't know we don't know."
    -- Donald Rumsfeld

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

Name:  nvs2011-header.gif
Views: 201
Size:  9.7 KB

My Ride
    2013 Genesis Coupe

Wow watched some of the debate.

Bill Smith is incredibly under informed. Did he not read into anything? I was curious to hear his plans with the arena, green line etc and he doesn't give a clear answer on anything.

He's literally running on "I'm not Nenshi" and is avoiding answering anything or giving any real plans.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    I'm impressed by how close the Nenshi and Smith votes are on here. Monday should be a fun one!
    Obviously you have access to who voted for which candidate in the poll, just curious if there's any brand new accounts that voted?

My Ride
    Silverado

Quote Originally Posted by KLCC View Post
    My concern for that is, why North side got shafted with only one station standing, where south side got more station allocated. Clearly, there is more ridership coming from North side heading to DT, than the other way around.

If Bill can deliver a promise that re-evaluating the green line and change the current design (create more ridership coming from North), it'll be a shoo-in for this election for him.
    How is it clear that more people travel in from the north? Do you have any stats? I think the split was, half the budget can go south of downtown, half can go north of downtown. Seems to make sense. Too bad that the half of the budget to build the north has, just makes a tunnel

Page 25 of 44 FirstFirst ... 15 24 25 26 35 ... LastLast