Quantcast
Calgary mayoral election October 16, 2017 - Page 6 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

View Poll Results: Who is getting your vote for Mayor?

Voters
210. You may not vote on this poll
  • Nenshi

94 44.76%
  • Bill Smith

96 45.71%
  • Chabot

7 3.33%
  • Other

13 6.19%
Page 6 of 44 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 16 ... LastLast

Thread: Calgary mayoral election October 16, 2017

Originally posted by kertejud2
    Describe a flawless cycle track that could occur in the city, noting that flawless means that for both drivers AND cyclists, and then we can see where we stand.

A cyclist on the road isn't in a safe position, and they annoy motorists, which creates animosity between the two groups. So put them into a cycle track and it is better than no cycle track. This was the starting position, not 'everybody was happy and lived in harmony until the cycle tracks came along.'

If you're holding out for the flawless project in a city of a million plus people, all you will have is nothing. Spending time pitching an idea to more than one group of people would teach you that. There are times when something is absolutely necessary and there are times when something is just nice to have but flawless just isn't an option for either be it due to budget constraints, political constraints or logistical constraints (or any combination of the three).
    At least we've gotten to a place where you can admit certain aspects of the cycle infrastructure is flawed. There was a time you wouldn't even entertain the idea

The complete incompetence shown on the original design of Northland Dr should be more than enough evidence that whomever is behind designing and signing off on this stuff is completely void of any intelligence, complicating factors and difficult public consultations is no excuse for that level of idiocy.
    Originally posted by Arash Boodagh
    Before I start pwning all the members with my findings.
    Plus, is it true you can feed a pig elephant dong and it will still grow and build meat?
    Originally posted by Toma
    rx7_turbfoags best friend
    Toma the homophobe?

Originally posted by rx7_turbo2

At least we've gotten to a place where you can admit certain aspects of the cycle infrastructure is flawed. There was a time you wouldn't even entertain the idea
    And I'd still recreate Nortland drive a hundred more times if that is what is on offer. Why? Because something is better than nothing when "flawless" isn't on the table.

The complete incompetence shown on the original design of Northland Dr should be more than enough evidence that whomever is behind designing and signing off on this stuff is completely void of any intelligence, complicating factors and difficult public consultations is no excuse for that level of idiocy.
    You can't describe a flawless track either, so what does that make you?

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

And I'd still recreate Nortland drive a hundred more times if that is what is on offer. Why? Because something is better than nothing when "flawless" isn't on the table.
    Clearly you haven't used the bike lanes there. I ride with my kids there, and it's far safer to ride on the sidewalk illegally and walk across the crosswalks like a pedestrian than to use the bike lanes.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Exploded.

Who's the most pro-car candidate?

Originally posted by flipstah
    Who's the most pro-car candidate?
    This guy will be your man. Anti bicycle lane for sure.
    Last edited by speedog; 05-13-2017 at 06:35 AM.

You can't describe a flawless track either, so what does that make you?
    That's insane Because flawless isn't an option you'd rather have a design that works for nobody? Now you just want bike lanes out of spite? "Fuck it, I'm so militant about cycling that when it comes to infrastructure to support it I'm willing to accept a design that serves no purpose other than to exist, even if it makes the lives of motorists, pedestrians AND cyclists less safe and less convenient". Wow dude that's pretty wild.

Lots of people on Beyond and around the city, me included have no issues with bike infrastructure. Provided a balanced and well thought out approach with the use of some common sense is implemented in their design. Most feel the same about vehicular infrastructure as well. Animosity towards these projects comes about when people like you take this bizarre "at any cost" approach.

As for your last jab, did I hit a nerve? It read as maybe you might have been involved in the Northland Dr. Bike lane comedy show? I can't fathom anyone would ever defend it other than people involved in it's unfortunate creation.
    Plus, is it true you can feed a pig elephant dong and it will still grow and build meat?
    Toma the homophobe?

Now you just want bike lanes out of spite?
    Yes. But not just general spite, only to spite you.

"Fuck it, I'm so militant about cycling that when it comes to infrastructure to support it I'm willing to accept a design that serves no purpose other than to exist
    That is actually a big reason on how the Northland Dr track came about. They had the space to put one in and it is part of the goal to normalize bike lanes to get people used to them. Nakes it easier to put them in everywhere else when people just see them as a normal part of driving life.

Because despite your assertion, people were always against them in general, regardless of how well they were put in. They'll put whatever they can fit in somewhere to make putting in better ones easier down the road.

even if it makes the lives of motorists, pedestrians AND cyclists less safe and less convenient". Wow dude that's pretty wild.
    How does it make the lives of motorists less safe? Hell, how does it make cyclists less safe when the previous complaints about putting it in included a letter from an angry motorist of 'in a collision with a car the car always wins' when stating cyclists position on the road (as an argument AGAINST bike lanes).

Lots of people on Beyond and around the city, me included have no issues with bike infrastructure. Provided a balanced and well thought out approach with the use of some common sense is implemented in their design.
    Common sense being 'don't take anything away from me and I'll pretend like I'm being reasonable'?

Most feel the same about vehicular infrastructure as well. Animosity towards these projects comes about when people like you take this bizarre "at any cost" approach.

As for your last jab, did I hit a nerve? It read as maybe you might have been involved in the Northland Dr. Bike lane comedy show? I can't fathom anyone would ever defend it other than people involved in it's unfortunate creation.
    You have, for years, gone on about this idea that you'd support a well thought out bike lane. Describe one. You have never done so yet you expect people to be able to do it. How long will the city wait until they have the perfect solution for everyone?

Bike lanes are here and more are coming. There has always been animosity, cyclists on roads have always been in vulnerable and unsafe positions, drivers have always hated them, and nothing has been convenient. Any step away from that is an improvement for the people the cycle lanes are being built for.

You provide nothing, and get mad when the city completes projects based on the suggestions and information given to them. If you don't give any suggestions or information, how can they make you happy?

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Bike lanes are here and more are coming.
    No they aren't and not they won't. When the silent majority finally gets sick of this bullshit, bikelanes will die the death they need to as a city with winter 6 months of the year (plus rainy season) will never have enough cyclists to justify the exorbitant costs and massive problems bike lanes cause with driving.

From what I've seen of Calgary tax increases from the outside looking in, I expect people are getting to the point of being pissed.

You ramble on about how I've provided no alternative. You accuse me of giving no insight and that my desire to see well thought out cycle infrastructure is hallow and imply it's just lip service.

Yet what have you contributed in all these years? You want cycle infrastructure at any cost, even if it makes no sense, is poorly designed and serves no purpose. "Anything is better than nothing" is what you said. How is that any better than what you accused me of?

I guess the animosity will continue. For the record, I've posted a number of times now I think some kind of segregated cycle track up 53rd from Dalhousie Station would have been money far better spent than anything on Northland. I see 100x the cyclists there. But hey I've only lived here 37 years and provide no meaningful insight so carry on.
    Toma the homophobe?

My Ride
    something green

My Ride
    G6

Originally posted by HiTempguy1
    No they aren't and not they won't. When the silent majority finally gets sick of this bullshit, bikelanes will die the death they need to as a city with winter 6 months of the year (plus rainy season) will never have enough cyclists to justify the exorbitant costs and massive problems bike lanes cause with driving.

From what I've seen of Calgary tax increases from the outside looking in, I expect people are getting to the point of being pissed.
    I wouldn't be convinced this "silent majority" exists. I was very anti bike lanes, but in the end they didn't really impact my driving time at all. Now I've actually started using them and love them. I don't know many people that I work with that seem to have any issues with them any more (except 12th Ave which is fucked).

You ramble on about how I've provided no alternative. You accuse me of giving no insight and that my desire to see well thought out cycle infrastructure is hallow and imply it's just lip service.

Yet what have you contributed in all these years? You want cycle infrastructure at any cost, even if it makes no sense, is poorly designed and serves no purpose. "Anything is better than nothing" is what you said. How is that any better than what you accused me of?
    I'm not asking for the unrealistic and achievable. There are tradeoffs for everything, compromises that need to be made, and waiting for perfection when it comes to cycle infrastructure means we wouldn't ever get any. Push and fight for what you can get wherever you can get it because that will still allow for more cyclists which can then create the push to improve that infrastructure further.

I'd like all the infrastructure to be as good for bikes as possible, but just because the 5th St cycle track isn't flawless because it doesn't go river pathway to river pathway doesn't mean the section that is there isn't the best one we have, and waiting for planners to wear down the Misson/Cliff-Bungalow community association to give up parking on one side of the street to make it flawless before going ahead would mean we wouldn't have our best cycle track.

I guess the animosity will continue. For the record, I've posted a number of times now I think some kind of segregated cycle track up 53rd from Dalhousie Station would have been money far better spent than anything on Northland. I see 100x the cyclists there. But hey I've only lived here 37 years and provide no meaningful insight so carry on.
    If segregated cycle tracks were flawless then why is anybody complaining about 12th Ave? But that aside, the problems with implementing a cycle track on 53rd are the same as they are on Northland, and it's kind of funny that you think such a thing wasn't considered for Northland.

A separated track is tough because you still need space for buses to pick up and drop off (this is one reason why one-way streets were preferred for the cycle track; they could be put on the opposite sides of the road to bus stops. It's also why Northland isn't separated). There's more space on the east side and that provides better options to tying into possible future infrastructure on Dalhousie towards Northland (which can then connect to Northmount which connects to 10th St) but it is less disruptive to traffic flow on the west side and less road crossings mean it is safer over there, too. Doing that means altering the boulevards to not lose any lanes and increasing the amount of signals at intersections which increases cost.

You're trading off safety for cost and functionality, you're creating traffic flow challenges regarding buses, and you're definitely looking at challengers with regards to street parking, and want it to come at the expense for connectivity to current and future bike infrastructure. Fucking flawless.
    Last edited by kertejud2; 05-14-2017 at 04:27 PM.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by phreezee
    She would get my vote! Please run Michelle Rempel!!

http://www.calgarysun.com/2017/04/28...-run-for-mayor
    http://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/miche...ayor-1.3418244

She's been in the news again this week with a FB live rant about the Green Line LRT being 1/2 the length and over initial budget. She's challenged Nenshi here and there and stood her ground. Wonder if she will actually run for mayor, although it's kinda weird going from federal politics to municipal.

If she does run, she will definitely be a strong enough candidate to potentially oust Nenshi. Could be a fun October!
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Certainly she'd have a better chance against Nenshi than Chabot - problem is that with Chabot's name already in the ring, vote splitting between her and Chabot could allow his purple plumpness to squeeze through.
    Will fuck off, again.

Chabot's a nice guy but he has the charisma of a wet noodle. He will get clobbered no matter what.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Yea if she ran I would vote for her, not like there is really another option...
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

Originally posted by rage2
    Clearly with the Northland mall construction he hasn't driven Northland drive lately.
    Exactly where is the Northland Mall construction happening because I drove by there today and saw absolutely zero construction happening.

Yea the northland mall construction is years away as far as I'm aware.

Northland drive bike lanes are worse than nothing. Anyone that thinks otherwise oprobably never uses northland. I used to live right there and no one ever rode on the road there and they still don't. There is absolutely no reason to take northland even if you live in Dalhousie.

Kert, you need to plot route maps on google, you'll quickly find there is almost no one who would ever benefit from that bike lane. Defending it makes your position on bike lanes seem delusional.

The thinking was that bikers would go south into the U of C, but the west end of the U of C is a mess so no one goes that way. Not even cars go on the west side of the U of C because of all the construction.

Also all the richy-rich faculty live south of the U of C.

That road is so quiet that the city removed the lights on the overpass.
    Last edited by suntan; 05-19-2017 at 10:04 AM.

My Ride
    V8s

Originally posted by J-hop

Kert, you need to plot route maps on google, you'll quickly find there is almost no one who would ever benefit from that bike lane. Defending it makes your position on bike lanes seem delusional.
    Took you this long to figure out he's delusional RE: bike lanes?!

Page 6 of 44 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 16 ... LastLast