Quantcast
Questions about online ordering - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Questions about online ordering

Default Questions about online ordering

I've started to get into online ordering, but am wondering about 2 things:

1) How do I determine where the item is being shipped from when ordering from ebay and amazon? The seller details usually don't show that info.

2) What's up with that $30.00 border charge that some have posted about, and how does one avoid that?

Default Re: Questions about online ordering

1) eBay is really easy. Under the price, it'll look something like this
    Shipping: FREE Economy International Shipping | See details
    International items may be subject to customs processing and additional charges.

Item location: Pakkred, Nonthaburi, Thailand
    Ships to: Worldwide

2) Amazon is a little trickier but you can click on seller details or sold by details and sometimes that will help. Or you can google the Sold By/Seller details and it will tell you where they ship from.

Also, congrats on online ordering. I didn't know there was any other way!

Default Re: Re: Questions about online ordering

Thanks!

I've Googled the seller on Amazon orders when I needed to. That works fine unless the seller is generic such as "e-world".

Yes, I'm late to the online ordering game, but then again, I still use a flip phone

Just found a search location filter in the left column on ebay.

Default Re: Re: Re: Questions about online ordering

Originally posted by Seth1968
    Thanks!

I've Googled the seller on Amazon orders when I needed to. That works fine unless the seller is generic such as "e-world".

Yes, I'm late to the online ordering game, but then again, I still use a flip phone
    wait, is this thread from 1993?!

good luck

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Questions about online ordering

lol.

That would be a good thread: "I love my old school..."

Anyone got suggestions on that border fee thingy?

Thaco is offline sucks off little boys (ya, don't fuck with rage2 bitch!!!)
    My Ride
    Rage2

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Questions about online ordering

lol.

not sure what you're talking about as far as the border fee, incoming shipments may be subject to brokerage, duty and taxes, i assume you mean the brokerage, basically couriers (fedex UPS and DHL etc..) will bend you over, but if the seller uses usps or any other "post" (china post, singapore post, etc...) its normally $8 brokerage fee plus taxes on big stuff, normally anything under $100 they will let go for free
    User title molested by Rage2.

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's not the size that matters, it's the taste it leaves in your mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    No logic, thought, input, etc from cult member...

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Questions about online ordering

^ Ah yes, it was those fedex, etc, carriers.

Thanks for that.

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Questions about online ordering

lol.

Look on Amazon.ca first. Item will give shipping time. If it's "weeks" you know it's coming from overseas. Usually, though it's from within Canada, and it will be days. I will hunt for an item to find it within Canada, otherwise by the time you pay for an item in USD, pay for the shipping (even most "free shipping" adverts only apply to the US) and then brokerage and border fees, you're pretty much guaranteed to double the original cost of the item.

I stopped buying from ebay years ago. ebay=dollar store. Either it's crap quality, or it's a knock-off.

Ya, I've been finding that out Dave. Thanks.

Unless I absolutely have to, I won't order from the US, let alone China (given the wait times from China).

Anything that ships from amazon.ca and sold by amazon.ca or fulfilled by amazon.ca is guaranteed no duties or extra charges, even if they are pulling it from their USA warehouse (it will say sold by amazon.com.ca if that's the case). When it comes from the USA through amazon, you will pay any extra charges at the time of purchase and it's all very clear and up-front. If you are still charged something, that is a mistake and amazon has incredible customer service, so that would be very easy to get refunded.

Additionally, anything eligible for Amazon Prime is guaranteed no duties, and 9/10 times originates in Canada. The odd Prime item will ship from the USA but you don't pay anything extra at all (it will say ships from and sold by amazon.com.ca rather than just amazon.ca).

Amazon builds in all the charges, so anytime you see something with an absurd price is is probably from a non-amazon merchant in the USA or overseas in the UK or similar. That isn't too common though, and they are upfront about it.

I've bought literally hundreds and hundreds of things off amazon, with shipping origins of Canada, USA, China, and the UK and I have never in my life paid a penny more than the upfront cost. I do 90% of my non-grocery shopping on amazon as well. Any minor issues are easily handled with a 5 minute chat with their customer service reps who have quite a bit of power in terms of refunds and credits.

Also something some people may not know is that Prime memberships can be shared by a seemingly unlimited number of people. You can simply add any number of addresses and credit cards to your amazon "wallet" and you can order stuff for people to get free 2-day shipping without even having to worry about them paying you back. Amazon doesn't care.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 03-23-2017 at 02:36 PM.

Ya, I've been finding that out Dave. Thanks.

Unless I absolutely have to, I won't order from the US, let alone China (given the wait times from China).

If you order from sites like Amazon USA and Bhphoto USA, they take care of duties. You prepay them

Works out really nicely

I usually avoid ebay for big ticket items. It's ok for cheap stuff like phone cases. For expensive items make sure you're buying from a trusted seller. Make sure the seller rating is 99.5% or higher. It's also a good idea to read feedback.

Chinese stuff is slow to ship and Canada border/customs is also very very slow. I prefer Hong Kong sellers, they ship faster and usually by Air.

Usually for expensive electronics like cameras, phones, etc I prefer Amazon.ca, Bhphoto or amazon.com

When shopping from amazon make sure the seller is not 3rd party. They usually ship from overseas. If it is fullfilled by amazon or sold by amazon, you are ok.
    Last edited by Escape; 03-23-2017 at 02:35 PM.

Originally posted by Escape

When shopping from amazon make sure the seller is not 3rd party. They usually ship from overseas. If it is fullfilled by amazon or sold by amazon, you are ok.
    Third party sellers can be fine. They have a rating, a price, and a clear price for shipping. If they are reputable and the shipping is reasonable, often times it's cheaper than the item sold by amazon where the price might be increased to cover prime shipping customers. I've ordered from them a lot with zero issues.

On top of that, amazon has the A-Z Guarantee, which protects you from anything you buy from anyone through their website. If you can't quickly resolve the issue directly with the seller, Amazon simply refunds you.

My Ride
    2015 Hyundai Veloster

I can answer this based on the hundreds of Transformers I've ordered from eBay. Next to the shipping details it will state if the item is being shipped via the Global Shipping Program or not, here's how that works.

If the seller is using this program, and chances are they are because eBay automatically enrolled all sellers in it last year, then you pay a higher shipping cost because it has this additional broker fee worked into it. When the seller ships their item, they don't ship it to you, they ship it to Pittney Bowes and Pittney Bowes forwards it to you. You incur no additional import fees from the Canadian Border Services Agency (CBSA), you only pay the shipping cost you've already paid. Also if Pittney Bowes determines too much packaging has been used to protect the product, they'll open it up, remove all that extra protection, throw the item into the cheapest shit envelope possible and send it on. It's a total scam and most sellers don't even know they're enrolled.

If the seller does not use the Global Shipping Program it means they have actively opted out of it. This means you pay a lower shipping cost because it's the actual shipping price but when your item arrives you pay a 5% fee to CBSA for import charges (GST) and also a $10 fee for them to charge you the fee. I'm not kidding, I ordered a $100 item, got charged $5 GST and had to pay $15 because of this.

That's the $30 fee people are telling you about, it's not always $30.
    Originally posted by Go4Long
    or else what? you'll turn on the caps lock?
    you do realize this is the internet right? lol
    Originally posted by rob the knob
    mar, you are good guy at heart
    you must realize your limitations
    then you will be happy if you fine place in live
    Originally posted by blitz
    Jesus man, I know you like Transformers, but you need to get out more. No one should get this upset over a movie based on children's toys.

Again, thanks for all the tips.

Since starting the thread I've ordered about a dozen things. I'm loving online ordering and wish I got into it much sooner.

I'm still keeping my flip phone though!

Again, thanks for all the tips.

Since starting the thread I've ordered about a dozen things. I'm loving online ordering and wish I got into it much sooner.

I'm still keeping my flip phone though!

Ebay kind of went off the tracks for a while.

If I'm buying cheap stuff, or Chinese made cheap stuff that is hard to find I usually take a risk on Aliexpress.
    0.5 gram microsd delivered by 12,000 pound combustion vehicle and driver.