Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 47

Thread: Financial Advisor vs. Adviser

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Victoria Park
    My Ride
    '90 Z32, '03 TJ, '15 Grom
    Posts
    2,970
    Rep Power
    14

    Default Financial Advisor vs. Adviser

    What's in a vowel?

    A common trick for misleading customers, according to Elford, is the banking industry's use of the term "financial advisor" — spelled with an "o."

    He says "advisor" is an unregulated title that anyone can use, whereas the title "adviser" — spelled with an "e" — can only be used if the employee has a fiduciary responsibility to the client.

    "Advisors can sell you the third, fourth, fifth or least beneficial product to you," Elford said. "They do that a great deal of the time if it makes them more commissions, or if their bank manager is telling them they need to sell more of the house-brand product."

    The Ontario Securities Commission confirms that "adviser" is a legal term under securities law that describes a person or company that is registered to give advice about securities, whereas "advisor" is not.
    Anyone knew about this? I learned something new today.

    http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/britis...044702?cmp=rss

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Food Court Wifi
    My Ride
    2010 Recession Fighter LX
    Posts
    3,927
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    Holy fuck, I'm one of those assholes who LOVES to look down on people who spell colour Color and things like that, but I had no idea.


  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Secret City, Alberta
    My Ride
    2007 Civic Si
    Posts
    343
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Advisors post ads to sell cars that don't actually exist.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Vancouver
    My Ride
    A moving pylon
    Posts
    6,190
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    I thought they all changed to Financial "Specialist" because it sounded more prestigious?

    Personally, I prefer 'Guru"... more people should use that for a title
    "With great power, comes great MSRP"

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    Silverado
    Posts
    1,928
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    I deal with a couple engineers with the title 'expert' engineer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gestalt View Post
    Im the one with a learning disability....

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Edmonton
    My Ride
    F10
    Posts
    828
    Rep Power
    14

    Default

    Very interesting.

    I just checked and the group I use with Dominion Securities use the spelling "Advisor".

    Someone I know with over 8 figures at each of Dominion Securities, Wood Gundy, and National Bank just checked and all 3 use "Advisor".

    I am going to forward the the article to my "advisor" to see what the reply is.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Vancouver
    My Ride
    A moving pylon
    Posts
    6,190
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    Honestly though, I think the Advisor title is more appropriate than Adviser. CBC is just trying to make a story out of nothing here.

    I think technically there is no difference between them in grammatical function, however for an actual position title, advisor is more formal than adviser.

    For instance:

    "Jim is the site Supervisor"

    Suggesting an official far reaching title that applies to many

    VS

    "Jim is my Superviser"

    Suggesting a specific title that applies to a single person or group not related to the intended audience of the sentence
    Last edited by Sugarphreak; 03-29-2017 at 12:42 PM.
    "With great power, comes great MSRP"

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    2003 Mustang Cobra
    Posts
    301
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Originally posted by Sugarphreak
    Honestly though, I think the Advisor title is more appropriate than Adviser. CBC is just trying to make a story out of nothing here.

    I think technically there is no difference between them in grammatical function, however for an actual position title, advisor is more formal than adviser.

    For instance:

    "Jim is the site Supervisor"

    Suggesting an official far reaching title that applies to many

    VS

    "Jim is my Superviser"

    Suggesting a specific title that applies to a single person or group not related to the intended audience of the sentence
    Did you read the article? AdvisEr has a fiduciary duty to clients, AdvisOr has no such duty.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    42
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Originally posted by Sugarphreak
    Honestly though, I think the Advisor title is more appropriate than Adviser. CBC is just trying to make a story out of nothing here.

    I think technically there is no difference between them in grammatical function, however for an actual position title, advisor is more formal than adviser.

    For instance:

    "Jim is the site Supervisor"



    Suggesting an official far reaching title that applies to many

    VS

    "Jim is my Superviser"

    Suggesting a specific title that applies to a single person or group not related to the intended audience of the sentence
    Not sure why you wouldn't just Google before posting a reply. Superviser is spelt wrong (hence the red squiggly line under the word when typing) The correct spelling is Supervisor.

    Anyway, I looked at my wife's statement from Manulife and they have Advisors so looks like everyone is doing this. I personally invest with Manulife but I do everything myself. My wife's rate of return was 6.4% last year, mine ranged from 9.7%-29%. As a side note my Crypto Currency investments earned over 300% and if you include the mining that I'm doing it's well over 700% best $3000 I've invested in my life.

    Edit; This is just one more reason not to go with the big banks, they will cheat and steal from you every chance they get. People need to start fighting back and start costing the banks money, stick it to the man if you will. Ask yourself, what are you doing to "stick it to the man?" One way is I have a credit card with a bank out of Quebec, I carry a balance of -$1.00 ($1 credit). Since 2009 they have sent me a paper bill every month showing the credit, I get a little chuckle every month when the statement arrives, it must cost them $1 every month to send me this statement. Just one small example of many.
    Last edited by Star1995; 03-29-2017 at 05:56 PM.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Vancouver
    My Ride
    A moving pylon
    Posts
    6,190
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    Originally posted by Star1995
    Not sure why you wouldn't just Google before posting a reply. Superviser is spelt wrong (hence the red squiggly line under the word when typing) The correct spelling is Supervisor.
    Several online sources suggest that it can be spelled both ways, it seems similar enough in context. I am certain there are other examples such as creator and creater.
    http://www.thefreedictionary.com/Superviser
    https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/superviser

    As far as squiggly lines go, Advisor gets a red squiggly line under it too. So does "spelt" btw

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Vancouver
    My Ride
    A moving pylon
    Posts
    6,190
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    Originally posted by leftwing


    Did you read the article? AdvisEr has a fiduciary duty to clients, AdvisOr has no such duty.
    I did read that, and it sounds like somebody trying to make a fluffy conspiracy story out of nothing.

    If I called myself a Professional Engineerer for instance on my business card, APPEGA would come at me like Modelaxis on a pro-spanking blogger.

    The main point is that Ontario Securities Commission doesn't regulate titles at all anyway, so the idea that because they spelled Adviser with an "E" instead of an "O" in their legal definitions is meaningless when it comes to liability and duty to their clients.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    42
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Originally posted by Sugarphreak


    Several online sources suggest that it can be spelled both ways, it seems similar enough in context. I am certain there are other examples such as creator and creater.
    http://www.thefreedictionary.com/Superviser
    https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/superviser

    As far as squiggly lines go, Advisor gets a red squiggly line under it too. So does "spelt" btw
    Funny thing is the first link go to supervisor not superviser... The second link suggests to me that it is French, but it appears to be a Wiki page so anyone can submit something, for all I know you could have submitted it. As for the red lines, I'm suggesting that if there is a red line then it could be a word but you're given a heads up that something might be wrong.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    42
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Originally posted by Sugarphreak


    I did read that, and it sounds like somebody trying to make a fluffy conspiracy story out of nothing.

    If I called myself a Professional Engineerer for instance on my business card, APPEGA would come at me like Modelaxis on a pro-spanking blogger.

    The main point is that Ontario Securities Commission doesn't regulate titles at all anyway, so the idea that because they spelled Adviser with an "E" instead of an "O" in their legal definitions is meaningless when it comes to liability and duty to their clients.
    The whole point of the E vs O is the banks are purposely going out of their way to circumvent the regulatory board and trick people into giving up their money to someone.

    I don't know why this is legal, perhaps it's in the fine print that nobody reads. I hope to see a class action taken against the banks.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Vancouver
    My Ride
    A moving pylon
    Posts
    6,190
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    Originally posted by Star1995


    Funny thing is the first link go to supervisor not superviser... The second link suggests to me that it is French, but it appears to be a Wiki page so anyone can submit something, for all I know you could have submitted it. As for the red lines, I'm suggesting that if there is a red line then it could be a word but you're given a heads up that something might be wrong.
    The more I look into this, the more I am starting to think that because French and English are our official languages, and there is some ambiguity around the preferred spelling of certain similar words, that Advisor is the more correct spelling in English than Adviser. Likely the person that originally proofed the legal definitions for the OSC had a french background and messed up.

    Some other examples of how English -or words are spelled in french with an -er sound:

    executor -> executeur
    professor -> professeur
    solicitor -> soliciteur
    actor -> acteur
    director -> directeur
    narrator -> narrateur

    In terms of a job title, -or words are actually considered as more of a “high class” vocabulary style, which traces back to French orthography

    This would support my theory that CBC is just trying to make a story out of nothing... if anything, the banks are spelling it correctly, and the OSC has it wrong.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    42
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Originally posted by Sugarphreak


    The more I look into this, the more I am starting to think that because French and English are our official languages, and there is some ambiguity around the preferred spelling of certain similar words, that Advisor is the more correct spelling in English than Adviser. Likely the person that originally proofed the legal definitions for the OSC had a french background and messed up.

    Some other examples of how English -or words are spelled in french with an -er sound:

    executor -> executeur
    professor -> professeur
    solicitor -> soliciteur
    actor -> acteur
    director -> directeur
    narrator -> narrateur

    In terms of a job title, -or words are actually considered as more of a “high class” vocabulary style, which traces back to French orthography

    This would support my theory that CBC is just trying to make a story out of nothing... if anything, the banks are spelling it correctly, and the OSC has it wrong.
    Try again, I just edited the entry. it`s no longer French

    http://www.thefreedictionary.com/Superviser

    https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/superviser

    https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/super...Sugarphreakese

    Sorry I just can`t stop editing this... Don`t believe everyting you read on the internet...
    Last edited by Star1995; 03-29-2017 at 06:49 PM.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Vancouver
    My Ride
    A moving pylon
    Posts
    6,190
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    Originally posted by Star1995

    https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/super...Sugarphreakese

    Sorry I just can`t stop editing this... Don`t believe everyting you read on the internet...
    haha, this is awesome...

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Calgary / AB
    My Ride
    '08 Ford Lariat
    Posts
    641
    Rep Power
    14

    Default

    This difference has been known for a while.

    Interesting read:

    http://www.moneysense.ca/save/invest...or-or-adviser/
    My Karma ran over your Dogma

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    277
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Titles are a crazy thing, to deliberately mislead or to not correct someone is that grey area.

    Example: People tend to call me Sir, especially now that I'm older.

    Knowing where its derived from I know its not really appropriate, although I don't usually bother to correct them. If someone called me Dr doctor that would be reason for correction.

    Although if anyone called me the Chinese classical title of "regent" I wouldn't say no to that either
    Trade war!

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    calgary
    Posts
    1,248
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    Originally posted by ZenOps
    Titles are a crazy thing, to deliberately mislead or to not correct someone is that grey area.

    Example: People tend to call me Sir, especially now that I'm older.

    Knowing where its derived from I know its not really appropriate, although I don't usually bother to correct them. If someone called me Dr doctor that would be reason for correction.

    Although if anyone called me the Chinese classical title of "regent" I wouldn't say no to that either
    Sir and regent are completely different from what we are talking about.

    I'll give you doctor. The discussion of this thread is around titles that imply a certain level of training. Sir and regent don't.....

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Edmonton
    My Ride
    F10
    Posts
    828
    Rep Power
    14

    Default

    Originally posted by blownz
    I am going to forward the the article to my "advisor" to see what the reply is.
    So I actually received a call back within an hour.

    My investment advisor said that article had gone viral within Dominion Securities and they were preparing a release.

    However she did say that the spelling isn't even an option for them. The titles are determined by DS. She said they are required to have and maintain their CFP and to them that is more important than the title. They also have no targets and are not encouraged to sell RBC products. She said they are expected to act in the best interest of their clients.

    Now she did point out that at the actual banks this is very true, but at Dominion Securities and Wood Gundy (where she used to be) they don't push bank funds. Her group made all the choices on my funds and only one is an RBC fund.

    I personally haven't been with DS for long enough to have a strong opinion regarding their service (less than a year). But so far I have liked the level of advice and involvement from them. I will need a few years to determine if the 1% fee is worth it.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Seeking financial advisor/Planner.

    By Legless_Marine2 in forum Real Estate / Finance
    Replies: 22
    Latest Threads: 09-05-2008, 04:52 PM
  2. LF: Financial advisor

    By The Cosworth in forum Real Estate / Finance
    Replies: 0
    Latest Threads: 04-22-2008, 07:36 AM
  3. Recommend a financial advisor.

    By mikemechanic in forum Real Estate / Finance
    Replies: 2
    Latest Threads: 01-20-2008, 12:59 PM
  4. LF: investment advice/financial advisor

    By danno567 in forum Real Estate / Finance
    Replies: 4
    Latest Threads: 03-01-2007, 04:25 PM
  5. Anyone know a good financial advisor?

    By black_2.5RS in forum Real Estate / Finance
    Replies: 6
    Latest Threads: 06-30-2006, 02:03 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •