Quantcast
new tv help - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: new tv help

Default new tv help

looking to buy a new 60"+ for living room and like a cheap 50" for the bedroom.

trying to keep the living room under $2000 n $700 for bedroom

what do all the tv specs even mean? what should I look for?

ms response time, hz, lcd or led, curve or not, UHD or hd or what the hell, 4k or what

just some help in picking best bang for the picture. itll be used just for sports n movies not much gaming anymore

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

Wanting to view sports is an important factor, since you'll want good hz and response time for the best picture.

Assuming your source is cable, you don't have to worry about how high definition it is, as everything is broadcast in less than 1080p anyway. (Someone correct me if I am wrong on this)

Based on it's placement (living room, not a dedicated theater room) and you not sounding like an enthusiast (I don't mean that in a bad way), just buy the largest TV you can afford from any of the major brands like Samsung, LG, Vizio, etc. Paying $1000 more for 10% better blacks or slight differences in contrast ratios won't even be visible to you, especially in that viewing environment, so it's mostly pointless IMO.

Just buy any entry level 60" 4K or 1080p LCD and save yourself hundreds of dollars, then do the same for the cheap 50", but maybe get that one in 1080P. 99% of the content you can consume right now is 1080P that that isn't going to change anytime soon.

This should help weed out a good bang for the buck pick:

http://ca.rtings.com/tv/reviews/best/by-size/60-inch

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

So in other words, youll be spending most of your time on a 1080 or 720 signal from the cable boxes.

- no reason to pay extra for 4k

- curve offers nothing special UNLESS perhaps you sit within the radius of curvature, you otherwise LOSE image size if youre farther away

- dont specifically look for any "smart TV" horseshit (even though most come with) - get a decent Tv and than add a 300-400$ computer and connect via HDMI and wireless keyboard/trackball so that you can stream YT, Netflix, etc direct to the TV. Smart TVs are a joke to surf with.

http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX55794 ... maybe? (living room)

btw: bedrooms are horrible places for TVs as the blue light fucks up with melatonin levels and secretion, which will affect your quality of sleep.
    Last edited by revelations; 03-29-2017 at 02:11 PM.

Everyone hates on smart TVs and I kind of see why but they do have their place. I have a smart 55"Samsung LED in my living room hooked up to a dedicated PC which is for sure the best way to get content as there is no restrictions with file types, flash sites etc. However it added a keyboard and remote to use now and in a bedroom that's cumbersome to me. I have a smart 50" Samsung in my bedroom and all its plugged into is the wall for power. I get my YouTube, Netflix and Plex all through the smart interface. One remote to keep things simple.

If you are going to use the smart features, I recommend Samsung's interface. Its easy to use and fairly snappy. LG may have improved but their menu a few years ago was terrible to navigate, same with Sony.

You may also find that you cannot get a higher quality TV without smart these days. A non smart TV is typically the most entry level model.

I should also add some of the manufacturers offer fancy bluetooth remotes now. I have them on my Samsung's and hate them. Ask to see the remote and play around with it to see if you like it yourself.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
    Based on it's placement (living room, not a dedicated theater room) and you not sounding like an enthusiast (I don't mean that in a bad way), just buy the largest TV you can afford from any of the major brands like Samsung, LG, Vizio, etc. Paying $1000 more for 10% better blacks or slight differences in contrast ratios won't even be visible to you, especially in that viewing environment, so it's mostly pointless IMO.
    Bang for the buck pick, 65" 4K $830:

https://www.costco.ca/Haier-65UF2505...100308748.html

They had a 55" there that they cleared out at $399 a while ago. My parents picked one up. Decent picture for the money, and anything calibrated is more than good enough for the average user.

50" version for $410:

https://www.costco.ca/Haier-49UF2500...100316053.html

Note that both TV's don't have any smart features, which is what I personally prefer.

Originally posted by revelations
    btw: bedrooms are horrible places for TVs as the blue light fucks up with melatonin levels and secretion, which will affect your quality of sleep.
    My TV runs all night sometimes because I pass out watching it and won't realize till I wake up in the morning, so YMMV?
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

ya definitely like the Haier price points. some bad reviews on dead pixels and lines in the picture but I guess I can try out and always return.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

It's Costco. They'll just give you a new TV if you have problems.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Originally posted by rage2

My TV runs all night sometimes because I pass out watching it and won't realize till I wake up in the morning, so YMMV?
    https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...bad-for-sleep/

Obviously, its not the same effect as waking/disrupted sleep, the effects are more insidious.

The health risks are such that most Nordic countries run awareness campaigns about it.

My Ride
    toyotas, mitsu, and a ford

Originally posted by rage2
    It's Costco. They'll just give you a new TV if you have problems.
    Thats only true for the first 90 days after that its all mfr warranty.

I'm going through this headache right now.

Purchased a vizio 4k 60" last October and it shit the bed. Call up their concierge service and start the ticket, give them all the info and do their stupid basic test (unplug tv, reset to factory default, hold the power button for 15sec) then they finally determine it needs repair they put me on hold. Once finally reconnected they tell me the ticket is open and the service center will contact me in the next 48 hours.

2 days later the service center contacts me(https://southsvc.com/). Requests all the same info(including the address) and has me perform the same basic troubleshooting crap. Then requests I send in pictures.

6 Days after sending them the email with the pictures(and requesting that they confirm they got the email) I decide to phone the repair place and see what the status is/ensure they got the email. The Lady that answered the phone didn't have a clue what was going on. Only after giving her the costco ticket # she tells me the order has been cancelled as its outside of their service area. (tv was purchased and is currently located in medicine hat) and that costco should of contacted me.

So I call Costco concierge again and tell them the situation says there is nothing he can do and that he will have to escalate my case and to expect a call back in 48 hours. Today I get a call from costco (almost 48hours exactly) and they tell me the case has been escalated and that they are still searching for a repair center and that they will contact me within 48hours with a resolution...

Thats where I'm at right now. Just wanted to rant and share. I'll update with whatever happens when this gets resolved...

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by bowsth
    ya definitely like the Haier price points. some bad reviews on dead pixels and lines in the picture but I guess I can try out and always return.
    2 year warranty up front. 90 days with phone support. Pay another $30-$50 for 5 year warranty depending on size.

Lowest price for:

49" = $349
    55" = $499
    65" = $750

I think they were cheaper last year tho.

The "smart" functionality of TV's is pretty pointless, especially since new services and apps pop up.

Maybe just get a android usb dongle or a small android box to get your "smart" fix.

The Haier TV's are decent, especially at that price point. But the sound is terrible, so a sound bar is recommended.

My Ride
    Ford

i have been running a 42" haier for 2 years now from costco. not a single problem. its on for like 8 hours a day easy. I use a sound bar.
    Street Tune
    446HP 536TQ W/6# Lower, 3.5 upper 16* and 16psi

b_t is offline b_t is a huge nag (2019 friendly)
    My Ride
    FC3S 10AE / Tacoma

Originally posted by revelations
    haven't manufacturers started adding functionality to reduce blue light levels late at night?

Originally posted by b_t

haven't manufacturers started adding functionality to reduce blue light levels late at night?
    Mobile devices have, it's built into stock Android for example, but I'm not sure too many TV's are on board yet. You can buy third party devices that do it. Personally I find zero difference. I've been reading on a phone/tablet for years before bed and it has no affect on my ability to fall asleep but I imagine everyone reacts differently. If nothing else it's just less bright, so it's a little easier on the eyes in an otherwise dark room.

My Ride
    Has either 2 or 4 wheels

Haier 65" is 750 at the deerfoot meadows location.
    Signature..... I ate it!!