Quantcast
How high of KMs on an ODO is too high for you when buying used? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

View Poll Results: Where is the line for you with KMs on the ODO to buy a used car?

Voters
129. You may not vote on this poll
  • anything with factory / extended warranty

2 1.55%
  • <60,000kms

13 10.08%
  • 100,000kms

31 24.03%
  • 150,000kms

34 26.36%
  • 200,000kms

22 17.05%
  • 250,000kms

9 6.98%
  • 300,000kms

6 4.65%
  • >300,000kms

12 9.30%
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: How high of KMs on an ODO is too high for you when buying used?

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

Default How high of KMs on an ODO is too high for you when buying used?

Split off from another thread, had me curious.

So, when buying a used vehicle, many of us use the ODO as a benchmark. Leaving behind documented maintenance as I have only come across someone having that ONCE in all my used purchases, where is your comfort level?

Personally, for me, my comfort line is 160,000kms when buying a used vehicle. Any more than that, and I usually get pretty uncomfortable with the purchase...But I am hearing from many others that their number is WAY higher...

so where is your line?
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

My line is anything over 100K
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go &quot;uh huh...&quot; Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

My Ride
    Toyota Christopher Lambert

Depends on the vehicles purpose and price range.

If it's just a winter beater and $1-2000, the sky is the limit for me as long as it runs good.

Once you get into higher dollar amounts and if this is going to be your main vehicle, then it depends on your budget and accepting the year of the vehicle and mileage. Obvoiusly the lower the better but if you're buying a late 2000 model of whatever, the mileage is most likely going to be around 200k.

My Ride
    This and that.

Like stated, for me depends on the kind of vehicle I am getting and the purpose. My own vehicle since I don't keep them for too long, I don't mind something with 30K-40K. The X5M I had picked up was 54K and that's probably the max I'd go for me.

Been looking at A4's or Q5's for the wife and since she's gonna keep it a long time, I am looking at no more than over 20K. So options are fairly limited to mostly brand new ones.

I have a HARD mental block at 100,000 KMS, even for my personal ownership (I.e. I will sell it around that point) and probably would never even look at anything used with more than 30-50K on it. I wouldn't even look at anything near 100,000 KMS because my filters would have removed it from my searches.

There are enough cars out there that I've never had trouble finding a low KM version of what I want for little to no premium. I often find high mileage cars overpriced unless they are very heavily discounted. That's the beauty of the used market, you can get a low mileage, fully optioned version of what you want for not much more than all the high mileage stuff, so the way I see it there is no point at looking at the high mileage stuff unless the discount is enormous.

From a sellers perspective, I'm glad not everyone thinks like me

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

It depends on the vehicle, use, age of the vehicle and the previous owner.

For example my 2002 Honda is hitting 321,00km and it runs fine. Other then wear and tear, the odd repair (i.e new brakes calipers). Engine itself is fine. I bought it at 212,00km.

When purchasing, looking at the previous owners will gives an insight on how the car was driven and cared for.

I would not bother with American, or German at that mileage though.

I also would be reluctant to buy a automatic transmission at a high mileage (250km) the exception being a Nissan Pathfinder or a Toyota Camry or even a Corolla. At that high mileage its usually about the engine and ease of repairs.

My Ride
    Blue boy

It all depends on the vehicle and price range im getting it at, I'd say 250 to 270 is my limit

Yea really depends on the vehicle.

ie: when looking at trucks I shy away from gas above 250k but a good Diesel engine like a 7.3 Ford is just getting started at 250k.

I find people that set a limit across the board regardless of make,model,engine don't really know anything about cars and/or don't wrench themselves.

My Ride
    General Motors Competizione

I pretty much only shop for diesel trucks these days, but no mileage by itself is offside. The only thing that I would avoid is 2-4 years old with 120-180,000km. I feel like that's an area where there's a lot of depreciation and I don't want to start there.

I would have no idea how to shop for cars.
    2007 GMC 2500 Duramax
    1981 GMC C1500 454

My Ride
    LNF

I would buy something in good condition with 150-200k but that car would have to be priced under 10k. I do not want to finance something with 150k.

Originally posted by mzdspd
    I would buy something in good condition with 150-200k but that car would have to be priced under 10k. I do not want to finance something with 150k.
    Financing anything with significant kms sounds like a bad idea. You can't afford it new, can't afford it with 150k on it, maybe you just can't afford it period!

My Ride
    Cayman, F150, Crosstour

Diesels - don't care.

Otherwise I consider the 'life' on most vehicles around 200k. I would buy anywhere below that and keep it until 200k kms.

hmm. just realized my lowest mileage vehicle is my '87 Iroc with 80k on it.

My Ride
    Nothing Good.

Originally posted by CLiVE
    Diesels - don't care.

Otherwise I consider the 'life' on most vehicles around 200k. I would buy anywhere below that and keep it until 200k kms.

hmm. just realized my lowest mileage vehicle is my '87 Iroc with 80k on it.
    U do rock if you rock an Iroc
    A Ferrari is a high maintenance chick, you spend money regardless of what you do with her. You can baby the C63, or slap on all seasons, and you won't be spending anything but yearly maintenance. Of course that's like dating a stripper and refusing to fuck her, which would make you gay.

Originally posted by Rage2

My Ride
    1994 Mustang, 2007 F150, 1991 Volvo 240 Wagon

Too many factors.

Mostly depends on cost. But also how the previous owner used the car (highway vs city), your usage of car and more.

1994 Mustang - SBF swap in progress

My Ride
    Touareg, Cayenne, 944s

Originally posted by CLiVE

Otherwise I consider the 'life' on most vehicles around 200k.
    Many of my cars have 200K+ on them and I don't feel like there's any reason they won't go another 200K. The 944 chumpcar I race has 500K on the tub. On the other end of the spectrum, I just bought an S4 with 50K and had to change a wheel bearing on it right away.

I turn my own wrenches, so that probably changes my perspective. Stuff breaks on all cars, when it does I fix it. If I was paying for someone else to do the work, I might be more inclined to go lower mileage, but even still stuff breaks.

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

As others have said, it all depends on the vehicle and its purpose.

My Jeep has 240k. But it is an occasional vehicle in a summer, and my winter beater. I would never want 240k on my daily driver.

For that, my Infiniti is up to 126k and that is already getting on the high side for my liking.

My Ride
    G37X

100,000. 150,000 is where I sell usually. But lately , my new rule is one owner,60,000 or less.

Completely depends on the vehicle. My last used vehicle was a Tacoma with 160k, I didn't even bat an eye. Drove it for 2 years put another 50k on it and sold it for nearly what I paid for it. There's a handful of vehicles I'd buy with 150-200k and not worry much about
    Originally posted by Arash Boodagh
    Before I start pwning all the members with my findings.
    Originally posted by Arash Boodagh
    Plus, is it true you can feed a pig elephant dong and it will still grow and build meat?
    Originally posted by Toma
    rx7_turbfoags best friend
    Toma the homophobe?

My Ride
    General Motors Competizione

At a certain point the scary things in a high mileage vehicle will have been replaced. I'd be more uncomfortable with a lower mileage vehicle with expensive maintenance coming up, than a higher mileage vehicle that's had it done.
    2007 GMC 2500 Duramax
    1981 GMC C1500 454

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

New vehicle? Under 60k.

Older vehicle (7+ years)? Under 160k.

Beater? Who cares.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast