Quantcast
Finally upgraded to a dual band DD-WRT router - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Finally upgraded to a dual band DD-WRT router

Default Finally upgraded to a dual band DD-WRT router

I subscribe to privateinternetaccess, a result of receiving copyright letters from time to time for various reasons. PIA works great but due of the limitations of the Telus router, each connected device needed to be set up individually.

Kijiji and Staples supplied a Nighthawk R7000 and a DWA-192 adapter, respectively. After an hour of flashing and set up, this new network blows the old powerline adapters out of the water, with every connected device routed through the VPN.

The powerlines would slow down and drop signal quite often in my particular configuration, so I wasn't totally happy.

Just thought I'd share my experience for those of you faced with the same troubles I had.

Do you force https for torrenting?

I don't think so- since I have no clue what that is.

What torrent client do you use?

Utorrent

Depends which version you use, but Options -> BitTorrent -> Protocol Encryption, set to Forced. Now your ISP cannot tell that you're torrenting.

You'll have to stop and restart any existing torrents running.

My Ride
    Bicycle

As far as I know, the people who are sending out the notices are the same people that are seeding the public torrents (correct me if I'm wrong)

While encryption protect the traffic in a tunnel to avoid snoping, the studios themselves are now seeding popular public torrent and collect data on who has access their seed. Unless you go thru a VPN/Proxy service where your IP isn't used (which OP paid for), they can still trace it back to you.

The question is if your VPN provider narc on you without knowing.

If you are on Shaw, and leave a wide open wifi guest hotspot, you can kind of used that as defense. (Remember, it's only $5K damages in Canada for now, that's not enough $ for lawyer fees to shoot down this defense)

If you are paying for VPN and VPN narc on you, they have all the concrete evidence they need.

There is no 100% tracking-proofed torrenting any more. That's why so many people switched to streaming because you can never be the host and it doesn't break any current laws.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 04-03-2017 at 08:29 PM.

Originally posted by Xtrema
    As far as I know, the people who are sending out the notices are the same people that are seeding the public torrents (correct me if I'm wrong)

While encryption protect the traffic in a tunnel to avoid snoping, the studios themselves are now seeding popular public torrent and collect data on who has access their seed. Unless you go thru a VPN/Proxy service where your IP isn't used (which OP paid for), they can still trace it back to you.

If you are on Shaw, and leave a wide open wifi guest hotspot, you can kind of used that as defense. (Remember, it's only $5K damages in Canada for now, that's not enough $ for lawyer fees to shoot down this defense)

If you are paying for VPN and VPN narc on you, they have all the concrete evidence they need.
    ^ what he said... Load the magnet link http://dev.cbcdn.com/ipmagnet/ and see for yourself.

Thaco is offline sucks off little boys (ya, don't fuck with rage2 bitch!!!)
    My Ride
    Rage2

just use Kodi, streaming is technically not in the definition of downloading which is how copyright is defined in our archaic copyright act.
    User title molested by Rage2.

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's not the size that matters, it's the taste it leaves in your mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    No logic, thought, input, etc from cult member...

There is no 100% tracking-proofed torrenting any more. That's why so many people switched to streaming because you can never be the host and it doesn't break any current laws.
    Meh, the phishing torrents get weeded out pretty fast. Just download the same encoder.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

I havent downloaded anything for viewing purposes for 5+ years now. Stream everything.