Quantcast
Voles!!! - Page 21 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 11 20 21 22 LastLast

Thread: Voles!!!

My Ride
    YH2/FK8

I just set up traps today. Conventional wooden snap traps with some peanut butter. These bastards are going through my neighbors lawn to get to mine after filling in the gaps with rocks and cement.

Other than classic traps, I'm having a hard time finding other kinds of traps and poison boxes that are suitable for outdoors, everything says indoors only. Any reason why they shouldn't be used outdoors anyway?
    SneakerFiles.com | Blog | Team AM Fam

1993 Honda Civic CX (B16A2) - 2002-2005
    1992 Honda Civic Si (K20A2) - 2006-2008
    2008 BMW 335i - 2008-2013
    2008 Honda Element EX AWD - 2013-Current
    2021 Honda Civic Type R LE - 2021-Current

My Ride
    11sec S14, Lux Family Bus, VQ35HR

Quote Originally Posted by JordanEG6 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I just set up traps today. Conventional wooden snap traps with some peanut butter. These bastards are going through my neighbors lawn to get to mine after filling in the gaps with rocks and cement.

Other than classic traps, I'm having a hard time finding other kinds of traps and poison boxes that are suitable for outdoors, everything says indoors only. Any reason why they shouldn't be used outdoors anyway?
    https://www.homedepot.ca/product/tom...cks/1001592573

I got a few of these from Home depot. Says indoor and outdoor use. It's refillable so the bait inside is easy to just cut up and push down the holes. But dont do this if you have kids/pets, or front yard where kids/pets, can see the yummy green candy.

I have the same setup currently, peanut butter on traps and poison down the holes. In the fenced back yard I have traps, bait stations, poison in every hole, poison in the trails, lots of poison. My kid sticks to our deck so this year its all out on poison.
    Last edited by DonJuan; 06-24-2022 at 09:14 AM.

My Ride
    210000 km oldie

Sparrow got caught in a trap. We have half a dozen laid out in the back yard. Now I am hesitant to leave the traps out. Have not caught or seen a vole this year yet.

My Ride

So Something happened last night and I don't know what to make of it. It's like the voles attacked my lawn. I know for sure there are 6 babies under there still (counted them on the weekend), but I got a big one on Friday (poison I think).

The one of the small holes is now a massive hole and there was a lot dirt and stuff tossed around. My intricate placement of mouse traps were strewn all over like they weren't even there. It's almost like something bigger tried to get at the voles or poison in the holes but couldn't get past the weeping tile? Nothing showed up on the doorbell cam and didn't see anything unusual on the other cameras. It must have happened after 1 AM last night, and don't have any skunky smells.

Ideas? Is it still the voles but now there just mad and escalating the conflict?

Name:  20220628_170711.jpg
Views: 363
Size:  92.0 KB
    Name:  20220628_170715.jpg
Views: 361
Size:  113.5 KB

My Ride
    Toyota Christopher Lambert

Anyone have experience or tips for killing a mole? This fucking thing is the bane of my existence.

I've tried 3 different traps with no success, using a standard scissor/snap trap placed in active areas but no results. Have tried setting traps on a freshly dug out mound and also dug into an active tunnel and placed the trap but this mother fucker gives no fucks.

His tunnels are about 2 feet down and I can fit my whole fist in the tunnel with space all around, he's fucking up parts of my property (live on an acreage).

Anywhere I set up traps he just moves around and will have a new mound a few feet down from the prior mound.

Want this thing dead badly so thought I'd check on here if per chance anyone has dealt with moles before, fuck these things.

My Ride
    '73 Buick, '03 Ruckus, '18 Tundra

Quote Originally Posted by 2Legit2Quit View Post
    Anyone have experience or tips for killing a mole? This fucking thing is the bane of my existence.

I've tried 3 different traps with no success, using a standard scissor/snap trap placed in active areas but no results. Have tried setting traps on a freshly dug out mound and also dug into an active tunnel and placed the trap but this mother fucker gives no fucks.

His tunnels are about 2 feet down and I can fit my whole fist in the tunnel with space all around, he's fucking up parts of my property (live on an acreage).

Anywhere I set up traps he just moves around and will have a new mound a few feet down from the prior mound.

Want this thing dead badly so thought I'd check on here if per chance anyone has dealt with moles before, fuck these things.
    I've successfully trapped 3 in my backyard. There is a trick to the traps. When you dig them in you have to get the direction of travel correct (a bit of a guess the first couple sets). Then when you cover the trap it has to be sealed enough that it cannot let light in. That's a big one. Besides that its finding the bastard and making sure you set you trap on an active tunnel.

If you're close to the south end of town I'm sure I can lend a hand.

Hook a hose up to your vehicle or tractor exhaust and gas the little bugger out. Works like a charm on gophers. No reason it wouldn't work on a mole.
    '08.5 Mazda 3
    '90 Laser RS-T
    '07 Yamaha R6

My Ride
    Summer car or work truck

Watch the movie "caddyshack" and do what Carl does at the end of it. I'm sure it will work.

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by Ca_Silvia13 View Post
    I've successfully trapped 3 in my backyard. There is a trick to the traps. When you dig them in you have to get the direction of travel correct (a bit of a guess the first couple sets). Then when you cover the trap it has to be sealed enough that it cannot let light in. That's a big one. Besides that its finding the bastard and making sure you set you trap on an active tunnel.

If you're close to the south end of town I'm sure I can lend a hand.
    I've tried active tunnels but he just never returns or moves around where I set.

Have placed the traps in the correct direction being perpendicular with the direction of the tunnel.

Around this area the dirt is very soft so he's been going to town

Name:  77D3D498-4106-49A1-8DF7-FDC69F7B93E1.jpeg
Views: 310
Size:  743.3 KB

And I've tried to cover the trap appropriately, and put a bucket over it to prevent my dog from being a dummy

Name:  01735C81-A27A-49E2-BF7A-B6A0567FE403.jpeg
Views: 326
Size:  729.8 KB

On the lawn areas the dirt/ground is much harder, it seems to have made a variety of holes in the lawn and after digging some up then go down pretty deep.

I moved the trap again tonight, I should probably invest in several more to increase my odds, sadly I think I have another mole at the front of my property unless this guy is trucking around a few acres. I'm not around Calgary any more otherwise I'd take you up on the help trying to kill this damn thing

My Ride
    *The First*

I think they are "in or out" holes, not the 90° perpendicular thing you mentioned.

My Ride

The mounds are in and out along with some the random holes in the lawn, but digging down into a mound and beyond I find the tunnels and place it as it should be for if the mole were to come through again

The area it is most active in is tricky as I can't find an entry tunnel into the soft dirt area from the lawn, and anywhere I've placed the trap around the pine trees/soft dirt area, it just carries onto a new exit area.

I feel like I need to sit out early one morning with a pitch fork and wait for it to come up at this point

My Ride
    Ram 1500, '68 Camaro, S14

Doing good work.

Name:  22A2E01F-47A4-4991-9A06-83131C8113FC.jpg
Views: 295
Size:  511.4 KB

My Ride
    Turbo stuff

The mounds are in and out along with some the random holes in the lawn, but digging down into a mound and beyond I find the tunnels and place it as it should be for if the mole were to come through again

The area it is most active in is tricky as I can't find an entry tunnel into the soft dirt area from the lawn, and anywhere I've placed the trap around the pine trees/soft dirt area, it just carries onto a new exit area.

I feel like I need to sit out early one morning with a pitch fork and wait for it to come up at this point
    Do you live within a municipality or are you rural? Blast the fucker

My Ride
    Ford, Acura

My buddy who lives on a farm says he usually just shoves a garden hose down the newest hole then him and a few people wait with shovels to smash the mole/gopher when it pops out. I guess you could do the car exhaust mentioned above to with the same effect. If you're a good shot you could try shooting it versus smashing it.
    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    ...Last thing I want is someone reading my posts and losing their cock over it...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugarphreak
    Meh, they all look like Jackie Chan to me
    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    I'm generally cute.

My Ride

I've never seen the mole above ground, I don't think they come up as much as gophers. I'll try flooding it out when I can, I have a feeling this fucker has quite the huge network of tunnels from what I've seen.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Get about a dozen of those BB handguns, give em to the neighborhood kids, put the water hose in the hole, and have yourself a melee.

I caught about 40 voles in my yard this summer with those simple Amazon traps. Pretty sure all the construction is pushing them in to the community. I started stuffing the hair I brushed off my dog into the holes and they seem to have fucked off lol

My Ride
    '73 Buick, '03 Ruckus, '18 Tundra

:
    Put a piece of cardboard over top of that hole and use rocks or dirt to hold down the cardboard overtop of the hole. The bucket would still allow light to pass through and illuminate the area.

Also digging down the mounds 1-2' to find the tunnel is the best place to set the traps.

Goodluck. Took me 3 weeks to get my 3rd mole. Bastard kept changing directions on me.

My Ride

Around this area the dirt is very soft so he's been going to town
    These pics are giving me anxiety. If you're rural, it's hunting season; nobody should bat an eye at s some shotgun blasts.

My Ride
    something green

Name:  moletrap.jpg
Views: 254
Size:  18.4 KBAh the old pocket gopher, I have caught 16 so far this year, and my cat got 2. You need the round tube type trap with the wire capture.
    I caught nothing last year but have come up with the 2 trap method that is working well. It's hard to predict where the gopher is going, they sometimes dig holes, then put dirt plugs back in and start again a bit over. What I do now is dig out between 2 fresh mounds of dirt and expose the tunnel. I use 2 traps, one coming from each direction into the hole I dug. It's really important to cover the traps with a bit of dirt, having the traps point up a slight angle and have the hole in the end of the trap clear so the gopher thinks its going to a tunnel opening .
    Last edited by Maxt; 09-14-2022 at 08:29 PM.
    Too loud for Aspen

Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 11 20 21 22 LastLast