Quantcast
Radon? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 10 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Radon?

My Ride
    2014 Lexus IS250

Default Radon?

Lots about it on the news these days.

Has anyone actually tested? If so please share your results and neighbourhood.

I'm testing right now but it's a long term testing kit (3 months) up in West Springs

Neighbourhood wouldn't tell much

Some times 1 house has high levels, next door it is normal

My Ride
    '18 Murano

Got one of those mail-in test kits from Home Depot.
    Came back at 108Bq/m3. Under the recommended max. I may do another test in the future.

My Ride
    WRX, Audi A4 Avant

Ordered a test kit on amazon a few weeks ago... I think another 4/5 months before I send it in. The longer the better the reading apparently

My Ride
    Trucks

New homes should be tested to pass the final building permit inspection.

My Ride
    2009 Impreza

Had a 3-month test done as part of the UofC study about a year ago. Results came in at about 175 Bq/m3.

My house was 123 +/- 16 Bq/m3

It's such a cheap fix for radon mitigation I wonder when it will become standard for all new homes in the area. I think it's only $2000 after the fact, and probably $250-300 if done during the build.
    ---

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

Originally posted by kenny
    My house was 123 +/- 16 Bq/m3

It's such a cheap fix for radon mitigation I wonder when it will become standard for all new homes in the area. I think it's only $2000 after the fact, and probably $250-300 if done during the build.
    The latest building code requires that the under slab ventilation (basically gravel & capped pipe in basement) is required. So the ‘rough in’ in mandatory but the ventilation to the exterior is not.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

So it's just a vent from below your basement slob to the outside air? Is that right?

Wonder if a house with weeping tile and sump pump is better or worse?
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My last house was as in the 300's and my current house was in the 400-500 range.
    I bought this for a detector: https://www.amazon.ca/Safety-Siren-H...keywords=radon

I had quotes from Radon West and Radon Controls and went with Radon Controls. I found it was still expensive despite being roughed in since I'm in a new build. I even supplied my own fan that I bought for the old house. Paid $1470 with Radon Controls and Radon West wanted $2k still.

I am currently sitting at 29 Bq/m3.
    Last edited by phreezee; 04-03-2017 at 12:01 PM.

Fear generation is high with this.
    "You're breathing Hydrogen into your lungs". That would generate fear in people too.

It's called running a fan, furnace cold air sources help and opening basement windows in the summer.
    You'll all live.

http://www.inspection-perfection.com...l#.WOO1_TjnZQs

My Ride
    2014 Lexus IS250

Originally posted by phreezee
    My last house was as in the 300's and my current house was in the 400-500 range.
    I bought this for a detector: https://www.amazon.ca/Safety-Siren-H...keywords=radon

I had quotes from Radon West and Radon Controls and went with Radon Controls. I found it was still expensive despite being roughed in since I'm in a new build. I even supplied my own fan that I bought for the old house. Paid $1470 with Radon Controls and Radon West wanted $2k still.

I am currently sitting at 29 Bq/m3.
    Thanks. Did they vent out the basement all the way up to the roof or just out the side wall?

Both Radon West and Radon Controls do side wall only. Radon West quoted something like 80% dissipation within 5 feet once vented. Radon Controls looked at the install on my neighbors house and said Radon West's vent was too close to the basement window so they seem to follow stricter guidelines.

Originally posted by mr2mike
    Fear generation is high with this.
    "You're breathing Hydrogen into your lungs". That would generate fear in people too.

It's called running a fan, furnace cold air sources help and opening basement windows in the summer.
    You'll all live.

http://www.inspection-perfection.com...l#.WOO1_TjnZQs
    One of the first things I tried was to run the furnace fan and my levels never got under the acceptable limit on my old house.

I then tried to install a timer on the basement bathroom fan and ran that to exhaust 8hrs a day. This actually made the problem worse by creating a vacuum that sucked more radon in lol.

My Ride
    Trucks

Do homes not have a vapour barrier under the slab like commercial buildings do? I don't see where gas is seeping into the house.

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

Originally posted by Darell_n
    Do homes not have a vapour barrier under the slab like commercial buildings do? I don't see where gas is seeping into the house.
    They do but it'll have a 1000 puncture holes in it and not be sealed at the perimeter or any pipe penetrations.

My Ride
    1994 Mustang, 2007 F150, 1991 Volvo 240 Wagon

Every time I hear radon I think of this:

Michael: Toby has been leaving radon kits everywhere, like he owns the place. The first time I threw mine away, I thought it was an ant trap. [finds radon kit in between his blinds in his office] But I figured I'd rather live with ants than with his creepy little disc. [throws it away] The second time... I thought it was one of those, you know, those things you turn over and it moos. [finds another radon kit on top of his cabinet] Like a cow thing. But upon closer examination, it was another ant trap, so I threw it away. And the third time... I did it out of spite. [takes radon kit from the top of the blinds of his office window and slams it into the trash can]

1994 Mustang - SBF swap in progress

Lots of fear mongering around this lately. Any real truth? The research posted on the EPA site looks pretty misleading in terms of conclusions based on the poorly controlled datasets

Meh, its just a little radiation. Gives a nice healthy glow.
    0.5 gram microsd delivered by 12,000 pound combustion vehicle and driver.

Originally posted by J-hop
    Lots of fear mongering around this lately. Any real truth? The research posted on the EPA site looks pretty misleading in terms of conclusions based on the poorly controlled datasets
    Probably being oversold a bit by companies that are into mitigation.

However, if done early as part of the build process now that rough-in is code there wouldn't be much cost (fan and pipe to exterior). Even after the fact without the rough in is about $2000... some people will probably spend close to that over 20 years on useless filtrete filters.
    ---

Page 1 of 10 1 2 ... LastLast