Quantcast
Recommend me a new Android tablet - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Recommend me a new Android tablet

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

Default Recommend me a new Android tablet

The time has come to retire the Nexus 7 and I'm looking for a good replacement. Not going to be working with it, just something to use on fligha, watch Netflix/YouTube/surf thebweb in bed and plays games on. Not looking to be spending a ton of cash, but would be flexible for a good tablet
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

Samsung Galaxy Tab A/E since you dont want to spend a ton. Starts at $200-$370 for the biggest 9.6" screen

Or

LG G Pad III (I have the previous gen G Pad II I got free for using my Fido Dollars from Fido)
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

My Ride
    A car, a truck, and a bike

I went with a Windows based Asus tablet instead of going portable this time, and I couldn't be happier. not limited to mobile apps, can operate with or without the keyboard, and overall easy experience. Its an Asus T100 with 64GB on board, added 132GB on external.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

Using a LG Gpad III here, just because it seems to be the one that Fido is pushing with their $15 for 3GB data only plan.

Its just about right, can just grip with one thumb and three fingers without touching the screen.
    0.5 gram microsd delivered by 12,000 pound combustion vehicle and driver.

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

Completely depends on how much you care about these things:
    -Availability of cases / accessories, though most will take generic ones
    -Future proofing by getting something with USB-C
    -Screen size / portability
    -Screen resolution
    -Speakers; single vs double
    -On screen vs hardware buttons; most obvious difference you'll notice if you switch to something Samsung after having a Nexus
    -Availability of updates / support of ROM's

Originally posted by ZenOps
    Its just about right, can just grip with one thumb and three fingers without touching the screen.
    Cheap solution: I stuck one of these to the back of mine to slip between my fingers. Make sure to sand down the plastic ridge for comfort
    click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version

Lenovo Tab 4 Plus is launching soon, it looks like a nice tablet with good specs and inexpensive price

http://www.gsmarena.com/lenovo_tab_4_8_plus-8603.php

Lots of rumors surrounding a new Nexus/Pixel tablet this year which will be the obvious choice in tablet land if you can wait a bit (might be as long as October though). If not the Samsung Galaxy Tab S3 is the best one at the moment and even comes with a stylus, but it bothers me that it has year-old internals and was announced a month ago.

If you just want a cheap tablet, Any of the Samsung, Asus, or Lenovo $300 tablets are all about the same. The Lenovo Tab 4 is good value but you need to go to the "plus" version to get a decent amount of RAM, wireless AC, and a HD screen. I was considering one actually because I like the aspect ratio, enormous battery, stock android 7.0 and these days I pretty much just use it to watch Netflix at the gym. They are actually marketed at Kids but the specs are solid for a value tablet on the "plus" models. The 10" Plus version gets a 7,000mAh battery but otherwise can be spec'd the same as the 8" Plus.

My Ride
    Has either 2 or 4 wheels

Whats wrong with your Nexus 7??? Looking to sell? I could use another. Love mine.
    Signature..... I ate it!!

^^ The N7 is still good after all this time and it can run Nougat. I actually regret selling mine, it was a perfect size. After 4 years though the batteries are probably starting to degrade - mobile batteries aren't designed to perform their best for more than a couple years or so.

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

Originally posted by quick_scar
    Whats wrong with your Nexus 7??? Looking to sell? I could use another. Love mine.
    Battery drain and sluggish responsiveness is my main complaint. Might try a factory reset to see if it is just cluttered up with crap.

The Tab A/E models look nice, I'll be taking a peek at those. All it is really needed for is playing a few games and watching Netflix/Google Play movies on flights and internet surfing.
    Last edited by FraserB; 04-05-2017 at 09:22 AM.

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

Originally posted by FraserB

Battery drain and sluggish responsiveness is my main complaint. Might try a factory reset to see if it is just cluttered up with crap.

The Tab A/E models look nice, I'll be taking a peek at those. All it is really needed for is playing a few games and watching Netflix/Google Play movies on flights and internet surfing.

Whats your budget though?

Samsung Galaxy Tab S2/3 is nice. Big screen. Comes with stylus. Plenty fast for what your usage is for.

In hindsight, my LG G Pad II is not a good choice. Very laggy/slow when opening apps but it works fine once loaded.
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

Probably capped at $300-$400

Plan would be to keep it for a while, I've had the Nexus 7since I bough it new on release day
    Last edited by FraserB; 04-05-2017 at 12:16 PM.

Wait for the Lenovo Tab 4 Plus (May), unless you need something immediately. Should be about $350-400, depending which one you get, good enough specs, good screen, huge batteries, and almost stock android 7.1.1. You'll also probably be able to buy it everywhere including Costco. Touch-Wiz and super late OS updates on the lower-end Samsung tablets isn't the greatest but YMMV. The Lenovo tabs look to have unrivaled value compared to everything else out there at the moment. If google would hurry up and announce a Nexus/Pixel tablet for 2017 that would be the obvious choice but it's probably a ways away.

I plan to get the 64gb/4gb version (Not sure what size yet) as my Netflix/browsing mule. It has a SD card slot too.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 04-05-2017 at 02:40 PM.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Old thread bump. Need a couple android tablets, either cheap or mid-tier. Figure I can do research for a month and then be ready to strike on any black Friday deals.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Trucks

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    Old thread bump. Need a couple android tablets, either cheap or mid-tier. Figure I can do research for a month and then be ready to strike on any black Friday deals.
    Samsung Galaxy Tab A are often found on Kijiji with unopened boxes for around $120. I use one off-roading and they come with dedicated GPS chips for use with offline downloaded maps. I’m slowing converting the guys I ride with into using them and the tablets are easy to get as I think Rogers gives them away with new cell phones, or something similar.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Yeah, have used the galaxy A in the past. Good call on trolling Kijiji.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    TRD Pro

Granted its on the extreme low end... I got my kids the Kindle fires.. either 8 or 10". You can side load the Google Play store and have been decent. At under $100 even if they last 2 years Im ok with it.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by R-Audi View Post
    Granted its on the extreme low end... I got my kids the Kindle fires.. either 8 or 10". You can side load the Google Play store and have been decent. At under $100 even if they last 2 years Im ok with it.
    Yeah, I'd need to jailbreak them to run a specific app that apparently can't be run on the fireOS. Agree they are a nice value.

My Ride
    4x4

The vankyo on Amazon actually aren't awful. Son's has outlasted the ZTE and Asus tablets he had prior.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    Yeah, have used the galaxy A in the past. Good call on trolling Kijiji.
    Those are the default tablet from Fido/Freedom with the 4GB tablet plans. Should be plenty on 2nd hand markets.

If you are going Fire tablet route, Staples is getting rid of them:
    https://forums.redflagdeals.com/amaz...oupon-2485821/

Getting them directly from Bezo is the same price if you prefer that.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 09-01-2021 at 08:57 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast