Quantcast
2016-2017 NBA Thread - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: 2016-2017 NBA Thread

My Ride
    Has wheels

Originally posted by colinxx235

Those are just some of the reasons that analysts drool over him. Add in his team first attitude and everything else he brings, no brainer. I'm sure if you asked all the GMs/Coaches out there if they could pick one player in the league to start a team around for the next 10 seasons he would be in the top (LBJ is too old for this hypothetical).

Besides Lenoard, who else do you think GM/coaches would want to pick? Your top 5 individuals to pick from?

I find it very interesting that you make a statement that if you don't give it to Westbrook that someone doesn't watch or know basketball. But then you make a statement disregarding Leonard as a top 5 while stating fantasy stats.

I would say anyone who watches/knows basketball is aware that Leonard is arguably/probably the 2nd best player in the league (behind LBJ who I can't stand). The guy was the 15/16 DPOY, and will finish top 3 in votes for 2017. Just based upon his defensive talents alone would put him around top 5. And then add in his offence...Up until the last month when he had a few off games he was shooting .500/.400/.900 which is an amazing line.
    The guy also only averaged 1.6 fouls/game and 2.08 turnovers.
    His overall efficiency and contributions to the Spurs are incredible.
    He 9th in Pts/Game while playing 3-4minutes less than AD/Harden/LBJ/Lillard etc...

Those are just some of the reasons that analysts drool over him. Add in his team first attitude and everything else he brings, no brainer. I'm sure if you asked all the GMs/Coaches out there if they could pick one player in the league to start a team around for the next 10 seasons he would be in the top (LBJ is too old for this hypothetical).
    I'm not saying he's not one of the best players and I wasn't quoting fantasy I just made the statement he wasn't a top 5 real or fantasy (as in looking at stats alone) player this year. For MVP you ask who helped his team the most get to where they are...the guys I named were more important getting their team in playoffs then Leonard in my opinion and more valuable to their teams. I would still take LBJ, Westbrook, Curry, Harden, Durant and Giannis before him if I was choosing a franchise player.

My Ride
    Altima Se-R

Originally posted by bruceod
    Bucks are a scary team and a scary team for years to come because of their collective length. Middleton and the Greek are amazing.
    I was saying that when they drafted Maker last year (except I've had to swap out MCW and Parker).

A Maker-Giannis-Snell-Middleton-Brogdon lineup means there's 35 feet of arm spanning a 50-foot court with Brogdon having the shortest wingspan at 6'10.5"!

Those are some tight passing windows.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    NC1

You can give Bron the MVP every year as he's good for 30 wins but is he slowing down? Getting tired? annoyed? looking for the easy way out? He still has Kyrie and Love so Bron should stfu. He showed up last night though so props.

How about co-mvp? With the way russell plays is he gonna burn out? i love the step back jumper haha totally my style vs having to blow by guys every possession
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

Besides Lenoard, who else do you think GM/coaches would want to pick? Your top 5 individuals to pick from?

That would be a tough one, heck even a 10 year window is probably too long, maybe chunk it to 6-8.

But the 5 guys aside from Leonard would be Davis, Westbrook, Harden, Lillard, and then I would have a tough time choosing between the Greek, Butler, Porzingis,

I'm clearly on a completely different page than Type though. Hard to say where the spurs would land without Leonard but sure as hell wouldn't be 2nd in the west.

My Ride
    Altima Se-R

2 more years of Demarre Carroll.

My Ride
    Has wheels

That's why I had to ask, 10 years is a long time haha.
    I'd add KAT, Wiggins, Wall, Embiid(health concerns though) among others for consideration. The league has a bunch of talent right now.

SB - I didn't get to watch the game since I'm on shift. Low scoring game but the Raps did win. Was it that bad?

I really wish they signed ATL Demarre Carroll though and not the player he seems to be now.

My Ride
    Altima Se-R

I'd add KAT, Wiggins, Wall, Embiid(health concerns though) among others for consideration. The league has a bunch of talent right now.

SB - I didn't get to watch the game since I'm on shift. Low scoring game but the Raps did win. Was it that bad?

I really wish they signed ATL Demarre Carroll though and not the player he seems to be now.
    He's just too slow to guard the players he's supposed to (for a $15M a year player), his shot is unreliable at best and he's been injured more often than not.

When the Raps have better options in Tucker and Powell, there's no real reason to play Carroll anymore except for the fact that you're paying him so much.

Yah Wiggins/Wall would be sitting on the outskirts I just didn't want to make it a 10-15 man list.

I think Embiid is unbelievable, but from what we've seen so far his health concerns will derail what could have been an amazing career.

I'm also a big Rose fan/now a devastated fan from everything that has transpired. Would be nice to imagine how things would have gone had he never been hurt. Or that one year in the East finals vs Miami if boozer, noah, etc would have played some damn ball instead of just watching LBJ defend Rose

My Ride
    Has wheels

Celtics And Jazz both tie their series up. Thomas has been carrying the Celtics offense all year. It's too bad he can't play D due to his size, that will continue to be the teams short coming until they address that issue.

Nice to see Gobert back on the floor, at full strength the Jazz can make a deep run.

Cavs sweep Indy. Curious if Bird blows the team up or if George forces his way out, even if he makes an all NBA team and signs that massive extension.

Houston needs just one more to wrap up the Thunder. Russ is doing Russ. Entertaining games for sure.

My Ride
    Altima Se-R

Celtics And Jazz both tie their series up. Thomas has been carrying the Celtics offense all year. It's too bad he can't play D due to his size, that will continue to be the teams short coming until they address that issue.
    Some projections have Boston winning the draft lottery and picking up Fultz (though some say Ball), which means they'll either try to move Thomas for another pick, or he'll be dealt at the deadline next year.

My Ride
    Has wheels

Originally posted by sexualbanana

Some projections have Boston winning the draft lottery and picking up Fultz (though some say Ball), which means they'll either try to move Thomas for another pick, or he'll be dealt at the deadline next year.
    It'll be interesting to see what Boston does. There's no doubt Thomas is fantastic scorer but come playoff time, they can't hide him in a series long enough to actually be a threat to win it all.

Edit: who's the most talented 3 in the draft, Josh Jackson? They could go that route too. Regardless of what Ainge decides to do, they have "problems" that any GM would like to have.
    Last edited by brucebanner; 04-24-2017 at 11:55 AM.

My Ride
    Altima Se-R

I don't know about you but I've enjoyed watching the Raps-Bucks series now that Powell has been in the starting lineup and having a huge impact. It's fun knowing that they got Powell as a sweetener in a trade for Vasquez. The meat of the trade, Vasquez for a 1st-rounder, is already pretty sick. Now throw in Powell who was a 2nd round sweetener that year, and Masai wins that trade by a fucking landslide.

THEN you turn the 1st-rounder you got in the trade and flip him in the Ibaka trade.

I'm pretty sure Ujiri has some dirt on the other GMs around the league.

This trade, in addition to the one where he robbed the Knicks of a 1st-rounder for Bargnani, is so one-sided that it's hard to imagine how he convinced the other side to say yes.

Originally posted by Type_S1

I'm not saying he's not one of the best players and I wasn't quoting fantasy I just made the statement he wasn't a top 5 real or fantasy (as in looking at stats alone) player this year. For MVP you ask who helped his team the most get to where they are...the guys I named were more important getting their team in playoffs then Leonard in my opinion and more valuable to their teams. I would still take LBJ, Westbrook, Curry, Harden, Durant and Giannis before him if I was choosing a franchise player.

So just out of curiosity, if you've watched the playoffs so far, care to change your stance on Kawhi?
    Guy went beast mode first two series and since he's left in game 1 the spurs are now -59 with him off the court vs warriors.

But hey... he's overrated

My Ride
    Has wheels

So much for a good series out of Spurs and Warriors. Kawhi was the only one going to make that a series as shown in game one.

I bet the league makes harsher rules in the off-season for those type of close outs.

LeBron still doing LeBron things. Looking forward to the finals.

Celtics #1 pick. Hayward didn't make an all-nba team. Interesting off season.

My Ride
    Altima Se-R

Cavs are paying for some really questionable front office moves. I'm not saying that there were any silver bullet solutions that would've helped their cause, but signing guys like Deron Williams and Dahntay Jones was definitely going in the wrong direction.

My Ride
    NC1

Can the Cavs get back into the series? KD Finals MVP?

Will the Warriors split apart or you think they can stay together and win not 1 not 2 not 3 not 4 not 5 not 6 not 7 I'm being serious here....lol
    I am user #49

Cavs couldn't get much else, they already carry the most expensive roster in the NBA and the luxury tax will start to pile on very hard.

As for GSW someone is going to have to take a huge pay cut or a few collectively. I'd be shocked if Igoudala wasn't gone at the end of season cause he will get offered way more than GSW can afford and isn't one of the core 4 (KD, Curry, Klay, Draymond).
    And then the next step is why wouldn't Curry demand the super contract for everything he has done. Winning is nice but I'm sure getting that 200mil contract is hard to pass up.

Cavs probably wouldn't have won last year if Curry had been healthy and the Green suspension. And when you add the 2nd/3rd best player in the NBA to the roster that probably should have beat the Cavs 4-1/2 last year... well you're witnessing the results. See if going to the home crowd gets kyrie, JR, shump playing as they really need those guys to step up if they expect to win/not get swept. Otherwise so far GSW has proven they can definitely contain LBJ on the one end, and in the attack zone they have too much power. KD game 1 was ruthless

My Ride
    Altima Se-R

Cavs couldn't get much else, they already carry the most expensive roster in the NBA and the luxury tax will start to pile on very hard.

As for GSW someone is going to have to take a huge pay cut or a few collectively. I'd be shocked if Igoudala wasn't gone at the end of season cause he will get offered way more than GSW can afford and isn't one of the core 4 (KD, Curry, Klay, Draymond).
    And then the next step is why wouldn't Curry demand the super contract for everything he has done. Winning is nice but I'm sure getting that 200mil contract is hard to pass up.

Cavs probably wouldn't have won last year if Curry had been healthy and the Green suspension. And when you add the 2nd/3rd best player in the NBA to the roster that probably should have beat the Cavs 4-1/2 last year... well you're witnessing the results. See if going to the home crowd gets kyrie, JR, shump playing as they really need those guys to step up if they expect to win/not get swept. Otherwise so far GSW has proven they can definitely contain LBJ on the one end, and in the attack zone they have too much power. KD game 1 was ruthless
    True, but they put themselves in salary cap hell with some pretty tough contracts. Tristan wasn't a max player when he signed that contract and arguably still isn't a max player now despite the explosion in cap space that resulted in a A LOT of players earning max. But really, I was referring to their dropping of Liggins in favour of signing Dahntay Jones just before game 82. Again, I'm not saying Liggins is the answer to all of the Cavs' woes, but it at least gave them a long and athletic perimeter defender to take some pressure of Kyrie.

Curry's kind of an interesting free agent case. His family has money and he's one of a handful of players whom, I think, shouldn't be taking max because they make way more in endorsements and other endeavours off court. Not to mention that staying with the Warriors gives him a shot at greatness that we haven't seen since the 96 Bulls - a greatness that he has a shot at surpassing, if he stays.

The Dubs, to their credit, have Green and Thompson locked up for 2 more years. KD is in the same boat as Curry in which I don't think they should be taking their respective max offers (well, KD has a player option, but he'll opt out if he wants more). KD left OKC because he didn't like the style of play there, and has been amazing in the Warriors' system. There's really only 1 other team that plays a similar style and doesn't rely as heavily on iso-style basketball, and that's San Antonio. With Kawhi there, he's not likely to go there.

My Ride
    NC1

I am user #49

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast