Quantcast
Induction vs Gas cooktops - whats your preference? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Induction vs Gas cooktops - whats your preference?

Default Induction vs Gas cooktops - whats your preference?

Will be building a home fairly soon and have the option to go gas or induction for the cooktop.

Induction options:
    Kitchenaid KICU569XSS
    Not keen on the size and setup of the 'hot spots' on this one

Whirlpool GCI3061XB

Gas option:
    Whirlpool WCG75US0DS

The reviews for both of the inductions aren't the greatest, seems like the motherboards/electronics break down quite often. Is this common for induction cooktops?

The gas option seems to be a safe and simple bet.

Any input is appreciated.

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

I personally prefer gas as I like controlling my heat. But lots say it takes forever to heat. But I'm a closet foodie/chef so gas it is!
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

My Ride
    2016 Civic / 2016 KTM 1290 SuperDuke GT

I switched to induction 7 years ago, I would never go back. With induction you get the best of both worlds. The instant heat adjustment that gas provides, plus amazing low temp control. Then you gain the incredibly fast high temp power. I lose my mind when I have to use someone else's cooktop. So damn slow to boil water. The heat distribution across your cookware is fantastic. I have had nothing but positive experience with induction.

I use this one currently
    http://www.frigidaire.ca/Kitchen/Ran...es/CGIS3065PF/

My ex is still enjoying this one
    http://www.electroluxappliances.ca/K...op/EW30IC60LS/

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

Default Re: Induction vs Gas cooktops - whats your preference?

Originally posted by nagooro
    The reviews for both of the inductions aren't the greatest, seems like the motherboards/electronics break down quite often. Is this common for induction cooktops?
    Mine went over xmas. The guy who replaced it said it's common at 18 months-ish. Cause is that the breaker is not up-sized to 60A instead of the standard 40A.

My Ride
    Ford

i love the power boost options on out samsung induction. get shit to a boil so quick
    Street Tune
    446HP 536TQ W/6# Lower, 3.5 upper 16* and 16psi

My Ride
    2011 5.0 FX4

We had induction but the wife could not/would not learn how it works and how sensitive it was for
    cooking. After totally annihilating a few meals we noticed a defect and she was able to get an exchange on a gas one instead.

My Ride
    Audi

gas here - I also like controlling my heat, or charring veggies. I also cook with a lot of cast iron... so there's always the fear of dropping a pan and cracking the cooking surface.

My Ride
    A Slow Car

We went with gas. It's crazy but if you look at all the restaurants, they all use gas not induction. Top chefs prefer gas cooktops.

If there's a power failure in winter, at least you can keep your family warm with gas stove

I think gas is little cheaper to operate.
    “Straight roads are for fast cars, turns are for fast drivers.”

Made this decision last year.
    1) Cheap and effective to get a counter top induction cook top when needed.
    2) The power goes down when multiple burners are turned on.
    3) Induction surfaces do get hot from the pot. Not safer than gas.
    4) The less electromagnetic waves the better. Whine/buzz would bug me.
    5) Gas is cheaper than electricity.
    6) Charring veggies
    7) Durability and longevity.

Gas all the way.

Thanks for all the input. Ended up going with the gas cooktop. Read alot of negative reviews for our two induction options, and pricing to upgrade to the inductions were ~$1500-2500, whereas the gas was $300.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

This thread is full of people who have never actually owned an induction, lol.

"Gas has better heat control" - False, much finer heat control with induction.

"Induction is less reliable, break" - True, but I have a 10 year warranty on my Electrolux

"Induction is no safer than gas" - False, i can put hand on the glass immediately after using it, it's hot, but not burn you hot, I put paper towel between the burner and pan when frying bacon to make it easier to clean the grease splatter. It doesn't even singe.

"Power goes down with multiple burners on" - Only true if you don't upgrade your circuit breaker and/or wiring (if inadequate).

"Can't char veggies" - Ok, got me there, but I've got a BBQ for that

Another benefit to induction is that if you have a wife that's constantly over boiling pots, it's WAY easier to keep clean.
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Came back to ogle 2Legit2Quit wife's buns...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They're certainly big, but I don't know if they are the BEST I've tasted.

My Ride
    M5 Competition

I agree with all of the above^

I own an induction cook top and would never go back. After 6 years of owning it, it still looks as good as the day I bought it. Super easy to clean, plus everything Tik-tok said.

I was just going to say, it's pretty clear who has never actually seen an induction let alone used one.

If you like gas, go for it. Personally, I'll stick with induction for all the reasons tik tok mentioned.
    Last edited by bobafixed; 04-12-2017 at 11:28 AM.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Induction FTW.

The heat argument is BS. If anything, gas heats your house because of how inefficient it is.

I have a Bosch and haven't had any issues in 5.5 years. knock on wood.

My Ride
    Skateboard

I have an induction and love it. Worse thing about gas is how freaking hot it makes the handles. Also, the 3rd degree burns you get because the sides get heated up so much it makes the liquid basically explode upon touching it.

My parents have a wolf gas and it looks like crap after 3 years because the stainless steel turns yellow from the heat and boil overs.

Induction is so vastly superior to gas (IMO, for my usage) I would never even consider anything else.

It's way faster, much safer, more efficient, easier to clean, and has better, more granular heat control. The kitchen/cooking area stays a lot cooler too which is key in the summer. Being able to cook through paper towel is awesome for bacon and other messy foods. Cleaning gas tops is the worst - they always look dirty, and collect dust. I absolutely hated my old gas top. The gas also heats the sides of the pots up so much sometimes even the handles are too hot to touch.

Parents have an induction top going on a decade with no issues. It doesn't noticeably buzz. My next home will have induction for sure.

Lots of misinformation above - I have a feeling a lot of those people have never actually used induction, or did not have it installed properly.

In the amount of time it took me to boil a pot of water for something like pasta on my old gas stove, I could have fully made a meal using induction.

You can buy single induction burners for cheap if you want to try it out.

My Ride
    Neo-Liberal Anarchist Mobile

Originally posted by R!zz0
    It's crazy but if you look at all the restaurants, they all use gas not induction. Top chefs prefer gas cooktops.

False. Top chefs in the world's top restaurants prefer induction. Gas is just a lot cheaper and more familiar to most people.

Bears eat beets.

I guess I will retract #3 in my list now that I'm reminded about the hot handles with gas lol. I stand by all other points, especially #1, as I do own an 1800W induction portable cooktop to enjoy both worlds.

Since the OP went with gas, here is the best tip I can offer to counter some of the negatives mentioned above in regards to cleanning:

My Ride
    A Slow Car

Originally posted by Tik-Tok
    Induction is less reliable, break" - True, but I have a 10 year warranty on my Electrolux
    Good luck with that.

Usually they'll tell you "this is not part of the warranty" or some other bullshit even with gas burners.
    Last edited by R!zz0; 04-23-2017 at 12:42 PM.
    “Straight roads are for fast cars, turns are for fast drivers.”

I've had both and both are fine for my purposes...haven't once said "damn I wish I had X one in this scenario". Boiling water was 30 seconds fast on induction...not a deal breaker. I'm sure most people in this thread never even researched and bought their own stove just used what was in the houses (like me) lol.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast