Quantcast
Proposed Federal Marijuana Legislation Unvailed - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Proposed Federal Marijuana Legislation Unvailed

I dont smoke weed but am gonna grow a plant for fun.. lol

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Originally posted by A790

Do tell.
    What do you mean "do tell"? Even the gov has been quoted in recent news articles, suggesting that the most revenue it will bring in is $1bil once everything is rolling. And again, if you think that black market tobacco isn't a problem still, you're smoking something harder than weed.

At that $1bil in tax revenue, we're talking 0.3% of GDP. And that doesn't factor in the costs associated with all the regulations, enforcement, and other ancillary expenses of doing this. So yea, the net revenue is at best meaningless, at worst false. But I get it that its hard for you pot heads to admit that you just want to get high and just trumpet these other ideas as "reasoning" behind why you support it.

Originally posted by Seth1968
    I'm completely against others telling others what they can and can not do with their own bodies.
    I'm completely against others forcing me (by threat of violence) to pay for them in any capacity, from health care to policing. So, looks like we are at a stalemate.

Originally posted by HiTempguy1

I'm completely against others forcing me (by threat of violence) to pay for them in any capacity, from health care to policing. So, looks like we are at a stalemate.
    People do all sorts of shit to their bodies, but it most definitely shouldn't be a crime. What should be a crime, is forcing others to comply with personal dogma.

With that said, I totally agree that no one should be forced to pay for another. It's yet another violation of human rights.

And that doesn't factor in the costs associated with all the regulations, enforcement, and other ancillary expenses of doing this.

*snip*

Are you under the impression that the current regulation and enforcement costs of the current position of marijuana is zero?

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Originally posted by kertejud2

Are you under the impression that the current regulation and enforcement costs of the current position of marijuana is zero?
    Straw man.

Are you under the impression it will make a difference in costs?

Straw man.

Are you under the impression it will make a difference in costs?
    Reduced costs associated with incarceration, reduced costs associated with enforcement, more jobs, increased sales/sin tax revenue, shift of people from illegal businesses to legitimate ones, increase in industry relating to production etc.

It's an all-costs, no revenue game right now. You can still see an increase in costs significantly in one area and come out ahead if you tap into the revenue streams available and reduce unnecessary costs in others. Most of the whining about enforcement costs in the U.S. comes from neighboring states of legal-weed ones (like Nebraska trying to get Colorado to pay for their highway patrol because of all the 'pot runners').

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

Reduced costs associated with incarceration, reduced costs associated with enforcement, more jobs, increased sales/sin tax revenue, shift of people from illegal businesses to legitimate ones, increase in industry relating to production etc.

It's an all-costs, no revenue game right now. You can still see an increase in costs significantly in one area and come out ahead if you tap into the revenue streams available and reduce unnecessary costs in others. Most of the whining about enforcement costs in the U.S. comes from neighboring states of legal-weed ones (like Nebraska trying to get Colorado to pay for their highway patrol because of all the 'pot runners').
    lol, you're wasting your breath with this one at this point. Try the ignore button....
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

The problem is that everyone trumpeting taxes and getting rid of organized crime are wrong.

The tax revenue is way overstated. Just like black market tobacco sales, there will still be plenty of people buying illegally.

Its fucking ridiculous though that the legal age is 18, that is complete bullshit.
    Revenue from Tobacco sales taxes is over 8 billion $ per year. Is it hard to think that if weed grows to take even 1/8th (heh) of that size that it couldn't add 1 billion in tax revenue?

Source:
    http://www.smoke-free.ca/pdf_1/totaltax.pdf

I know that myself and all my friends go down to the local moonshiners to buy our booze since it's way cheaper than hitting up the government liquor store!

No clue how anyone could argue that this won't kill the illegal market. I mean we have ample precedent of this exact scenario occurring before and after prohibition. Who the hell is buying black market smokes and who is growing all this black market tobacco? Sure there's a few odd reservations who sell smokes but no one is really buying much of that shit compared to just buying from the corner store.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Reduced costs associated with incarceration, reduced costs associated with enforcement
    There is little proof of this, as weed is already not enforced like you suggest, and criminal elements will continue to sell it regardless (black market tobacco).

Every single thing you've suggested goes to show that you've read the talking points but haven't actually looked into any real numbers.

Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE

lol, you're wasting your breath with this one at this point. Try the ignore button....
    Yep, bringing up valid points that contradict the pot heads is indeed wasting my breath.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Originally posted by pheoxs

Revenue from Tobacco sales taxes is over 8 billion $ per year. Is it hard to think that if weed grows to take even 1/8th (heh) of that size that it couldn't add 1 billion in tax revenue?

Source:
    http://www.smoke-free.ca/pdf_1/totaltax.pdf

What do you mean "do tell"? Even the gov has been quoted in recent news articles, suggesting that the most revenue it will bring in is $1bil once everything is rolling.
    Congrats on reading the thread That's 0.3% of GDP at most.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Congrats on reading the thread That's 0.3% of GDP at most.
    And in your quote you are stating the tax revenue is overstated, which is where I added a different basis for guesstimating revenue.

My Ride
    V8s

Black market tobacco

Anyone who loves searching for numbers interested in finding what percentage of cigarettes smoked in Canada are "black market"? (And no, I haven't read the thread, maybe it's in here already).

$8B in tax revenue despite the crippling black market tobacco trade.

Barely a dent in the GDP.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Originally posted by mazdavirgin
    I know that myself and all my friends go down to the local moonshiners to buy our booze since it's way cheaper than hitting up the government liquor store!

No clue how anyone could argue that this won't kill the illegal market. I mean we have ample precedent of this exact scenario occurring before and after prohibition. Who the hell is buying black market smokes and who is growing all this black market tobacco? Sure there's a few odd reservations who sell smokes but no one is really buying much of that shit compared to just buying from the corner store.
    the tobacco thing isnt as prevalent out west, but out east.... its an interesting topic... im not too sure if i'd call it black market in the traditional sense... although in the industry there is some guys.... okay, most are breaking some laws at some point or another. but this industry exists because of the reserve system. technically speaking, they can grow, manufacture and sell whatever the hell they want (to an extent) on their own land... in ontario you can cruise through a reserve, they actually embarrass the white man to come spend his dollars vs here... and you can buy off brand "native smokes" EVERYWHERE... bag of smokes (equivalent to a carton) is about half price vs the gas station down the road. problem is that most fo them dont grow their own and actually smuggle it into the country from the states, and of course they have a network in place to ship this stuff all over the country, being sold by no status members, white people, whatever off reserve.

the reserve up near my family cottage also dabbles in the growing of the reefer.. so this should get very interesting

as for revenue.... well Tweed alone already has a market cap of $1.6B

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

But I get it that its hard for you pot heads to admit that you just want to get high and just trumpet these other ideas as "reasoning" behind why you support it.

Is that supposed to be some kind of insult or something? Bitch please. I smoke pot most days of the week. No secrets here. Hell, you sound like you could use some yourself- come by and smoke one with me.

My Ride
    Z

Yep. While I am completely against legalization, at least if they are going to do it they should do it inline with the nedical communities recommendations.

Of course, alcohol should be too, but I digress.

Liberals are clearly gunning for the youth vote for this.
    I'm starting to understand what I think the rest of Beyond figured out about you a while ago
    Z32 TT
    1996 Integra - winter beater with studs - RIP (deer)
    2002 WRX - to be sold
    2010 sti - winter

Originally posted by mazdavirgin

Let me know the next time you are hitting up the shiner, if you don't mind I'd like to carpool.

FFS it is all about net effect. If people think legalizing pot will have a net negative effect they're smoking crack. Every argument against legalizing pot is a straw man........

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

Originally posted by J-hop

Let me know the next time you are hitting up the shiner, if you don't mind I'd like to carpool.

FFS it is all about net effect. If people think legalizing pot will have a net negative effect they're smoking crack. Every argument against legalizing pot is a straw man........
    You're wrong. - HiStrungGuy

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

Just make sure you don't drive high.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/trud...nges-1.4069889

People got their legal weed, but they also got some of the strictest impaired driving laws in the world to go along with it.
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast