Quantcast
Proposed Federal Marijuana Legislation Unvailed - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Proposed Federal Marijuana Legislation Unvailed

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

Originally posted by FraserB
    Just make sure you don't drive high.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/trud...nges-1.4069889

People got their legal weed, but they also got some of the strictest impaired driving laws in the world to go along with it.
    Good. Driving high is for chumps.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Stricter impaired driving laws with specific provisions for driving high. This sounds good to me!

I haven't looked at any of the other parts of the new laws, I assume they'll be tweaked and debated at length over the coming months.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Infinitis and Nissans

I'm just worried about being falsely accused of being stoned while driving....

My Ride
    2015 Ford Focus SE

Well this explains why we had new forms at work this week covering coming to work impaired...
    Originally posted by rage2 in 2002
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100.

My Ride
    Lariat 2.7 & StreetTriple R

Originally posted by J-hop
    FFS it is all about net effect. If people think legalizing pot will have a net negative effect they're smoking crack. Every argument against legalizing pot is a straw man........
    Legalization is in no way a silver bullet.

Its not like everyone would make it seem - there WILL be negative effects. Lets not forget that. You don't have to venture too far to find places like Colorado have had negative effects as well.

http://www.factcheck.org/2016/08/unp...t-in-colorado/
    ...increases in these incidents were significant. Marijuana-related traffic deaths increased by 154 percent between 2006 and 2014; Colorado emergency room hospital visits that were “likely related” to marijuana increased by 77 percent from 2011 to 2014; and drug-related suspensions/expulsions increased 40 percent from school years 2008/2009 to 2013/2014, according to a September 2015 report by the Rocky Mountain High Intensity Drug Traffic Area, a collaboration of federal, state and local drug enforcement agencies.
    So yes, even though some tax money will come in, it will undoubtedly have some costs relating to health care and other services. This isnt some zero-loss win-win proposal.

Furthermore, although the black market will be affected, I don't believe it will be eradicated. Here you have the government controlling and regulating weed, selling it at more expensive prices and taxed. Why wouldn't people just keep getting their usual cheap potent stuff from their dealer delivered to their door?

I do support these updated impaired driving laws. Looks like those changes have been needed for some time. But as some others have said - the legal age should be at least 21 if not higher if we listen to the medical professionals.
    Last edited by OTown; 04-14-2017 at 12:31 PM.

Originally posted by OTown
    Furthermore, although the black market will be affected, I don't believe it will be eradicated. Here you have the government controlling and regulating weed, selling it at more expensive prices and taxed. Why wouldn't people just keep getting their usual cheap potent stuff from their dealer delivered to their door?
    Maybe the dealer's supplier decided to go legit so you aren't getting the reliable cheap potent stuff anymore.

Maybe the dealer didn't deliver to your door and there are more convenient stores to pick it up.

Maybe the stuff their dealer had wasn't all that potent or at least consistent because he was a shitty dealer with a shitty supplier and he was just the only dealer you knew.

Maybe he's just not that reliable because he's just flaky or he has a lot of clients and can't keep up with them all and you want some weed now.

Maybe the legalization will open up much cheaper and efficient methods of production and distribution (and more producers so increased supply) that lowers those costs so even with taxes the price stays competitive.

Or maybe people don't like breaking the law and a good portion of them would pay a bit more because that's how they're wired and that's what we've seen everywhere else. Like why people still bought speakers at stores even though some guy in a white van was selling them for much cheaper in the parking lot, or how some people pay for HBO when you can just torrent Game of Thrones and Westworld for free!

I guess what I'm saying is that using the 'there will still be some problems so therefore we shouldn't do it at all' argument for something that is currently an all-loss, zero-win game is just silly.

Its not like everyone would make it seem - there WILL be negative effects. Lets not forget that. You don't have to venture too far to find places like Colorado have had negative effects as well.

So yes, even though some tax money will come in, it will undoubtedly have some costs relating to health care and other services. This isnt some zero-loss win-win proposal.

I do support these updated impaired driving laws. Looks like those changes have been needed for some time. But as some others have said - the legal age should be at least 21 if not higher if we listen to the medical professionals.
    If you read closely I think those results are a bit screwy. First they don't look at the change in marijuana only deaths they combine all of the impaired drivers together making it impossible to tell if pot was the underlying factor. If someone is at a party drinking their face off and take a few drags from a joint and are involved in an accident they would be lumped in even though alcohol may have been the primary factor.

Second they even state that the cutoff for a positive was cut in half in 2014. Yet they don't appear to have made an effort to correct the stats for this cutoff change.

Third they don't make any correlations between levels in system and impairment.

Those results may have some truth to them but it doesn't look like much care was spent putting them together based on my cursory look at them. I would scrutinize those results much more heavily. Before drawing any conclusions.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

It's going to be like booze, marketing and branding will trump untested street drugs along with "fun" things that dealers will not bother producing

Also... has anyone ever had a dealer actually willing to deliver to your door?! NEVER! Wtf... Otown, you straight edged guy, you... stop talking about shit you have no experience with

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

Originally posted by ercchry
    Also... has anyone ever had a dealer actually willing to deliver to your door?! NEVER! Wtf... Otown, you straight edged guy, you... stop talking about shit you have no experience with
    My old dealer used to come by all the time. He was good shit.

My Ride
    G6

Read the study in the link. From 2006 to 2014 car-related fatalities DROPPED from 535 to 488. What went up significantly is "Fatalities with operators testing positive for Marijuana." There are two MAJOR problems though. First, the screening process shows that between 2009 and 2014, 3X more people were tested for marijuana! Probably even less in 2006. Second problem is the chart a few pages lower that shows that 67% of drivers in accidents who tested positive for marijuana were also either drunk or on other drugs!

Grade 7 science taught me a study is invalid without just one "manipulated variable."

My Ride
    Ford

Originally posted by A790

My old dealer used to come by all the time. He was good shit.
    yep my dealer always delivered. now my dealer is the Canada post mailman.
    Street Tune
    446HP 536TQ W/6# Lower, 3.5 upper 16* and 16psi

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Originally posted by FraserB
    Just make sure you don't drive high.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/trud...nges-1.4069889

People got their legal weed, but they also got some of the strictest impaired driving laws in the world to go along with it.
    I was not aware that drunk driving laws are changing as well. Probably for the best as they were pretty outdated.

Now, the police can (like in many European countries) can just simply stick a breathalyzer in your mouth and say "blow".

Originally posted by revelations

I was not aware that drunk driving laws are changing as well. Probably for the best as they were pretty outdated.

Now, the police can (like in many European countries) can just simply stick a breathalyzer in your mouth and say "blow".
    Can't wait for the PJW (personal "justice" warriors). Err meh gerrd you are violating my rights by forcing me to prove I'm sober on public roadways where the public is affected by my actions.
    Last edited by J-hop; 04-18-2017 at 10:53 AM.

This is why we need drone deliveries. Two grams dropped right on your lap.
    Cocoa $12,000 per ton.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Hey, is there anyone on beyond who previously didn't use the various MJ products that is now planning to? From what I can see, this basically just changes the delivery model for the existing users.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Originally posted by ExtraSlow
    Hey, is there anyone on beyond who previously didn't use the various MJ products that is now planning to? From what I can see, this basically just changes the delivery model for the existing users.
    Yah I don't know anyone who doesn't use it that plans to start using it.

Did notice that ENFORM is lobbying to be able to ban its use for people who work in safety sensitive positions.

Originally posted by ExtraSlow
    I personally plan to start. But I will be replacing alcohol with MJ products (likely edibles) so no real net change. Sick of drinking high amounts of calories, assaulting my stomach and making my liver and bladder work overtime. No I'm not a heavy drinker, I enjoy a beer or two per week but alcohol is such a shitty drug. I can personally only see positive outcomes from switching.

My Ride
    Ford

Originally posted by lasimmon

Yah I don't know anyone who doesn't use it that plans to start using it.

Did notice that ENFORM is lobbying to be able to ban its use for people who work in safety sensitive positions.
    never had a random. but passed every scheduled test 4/4.
    Street Tune
    446HP 536TQ W/6# Lower, 3.5 upper 16* and 16psi

Originally posted by blairtruck

never had a random. but passed every scheduled test 4/4.
    Mostly cause randoms don't hold up in court.

I bet that will change with MJ becoming legal.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Originally posted by lasimmon

Are they lobbying to ban liquor as well?

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast