Quantcast
Talk to Me About the Yamaha R3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Talk to Me About the Yamaha R3

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

Default Talk to Me About the Yamaha R3

Looking to get back into bikes, don't want something crazy, and want something my wife can learn to ride on. Came across the R3 on this post about beginner bikes.

Thoughts? I was thinking maybe an FZ-06, but this R3 looks like it'd be alright.

Anyone ridden one? What's it like? Could a 190lb dude and a 140lb chick ride it (not at once) and both enjoy it?

Anyone got one I can take for a quick spin?

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Ktm Duke 390! You are going to want something upright with your back

My Ride
    Unit 91 come in 91

That's a small bike... I wouldn't get anything under a 600cc if you're looking at getting back into a motorcycle. Would probably be a good bike to boot around on for your wife but that's about it.

Let's be honest... we all know how things go when you get a bike for the wife... it gets ridden once or twice and ends up on Kijiji after a little while with the description saying "bought for the wife but she doesn't want to ride much"

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Cam, sign up your wife into a proper bike school if its her first time. Learning on the street is a harrowing experience for most.

For yourself - and your wife, once shes done school - 600 is the real world bare minimum (unless you guys weigh around 100lbs.)

FZ6/1 would be a good bike for her/you as well with good ergos for the street. A used VFR would be another good option for you personally.
    Last edited by revelations; 04-17-2017 at 12:29 PM.

My Ride

Oh don't worry, she's taking the course (just like I did).

Looking at the Duke 390 and the FZ-06 currently. I had a Katana 600 and SV650 in the past, I found both plenty fun to ride. I've been on bigger/more powerful bikes and didn't care for the speed.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

You cant go wrong with either of those choices IMO ..... if youre just looking to stay close to the city.

Originally posted by revelations
    Cam, sign up your wife into a proper bike school if its her first time. Learning on the street is a harrowing experience for most.

For yourself - and your wife, once shes done school - 600 is the real world bare minimum (unless you guys weigh around 100lbs.)

FZ6/1 would be a good bike for her/you as well with good ergos for the street. A used VFR would be another good option for you personally.
    I agree with your keyboarding. I learned on a 600 from da streets and had i have just went to a school, i would have saved myself numerous pairs of underwear. No accidents though, if you exclude the shit in drawers.

Originally posted by Epididymitis

I agree with your keyboarding. I learned on a 600 from da streets and had i have just went to a school, i would have saved myself numerous pairs of underwear. No accidents though, if you exclude the shit in drawers.

More importantly is what type of riding are you doing? Gotta dance to the music that's being played.

My Ride
    2020 Tacoma DCSB

I had a Ninja 300, it's a fun bike for about 1 season then you definitely want more. Then I went all out and picked up a Yamaha R6 (2006) and got the full MJS + Akrapovic exhaust, tune, etc. Insanely powerful bike, lots of fun, but I couldn't ride more than a couple hours before getting pretty bad back pains. Meh, suck it up - I still rode lots, but I just found myself less and less. Sold that bike last month.

So anyways point of this is if you buy a smaller 300 I think you'll get more of it in a year. They sound and feel very dirt-bike-ish to me, especially after riding a bigger 600. They really aren't that fun on Deerfoot / Stoney etc.

If I get another bike down the road I'd really like the KTM Superduke 1290. Looks like an insanely fun bike, powerful, but could ride for a good long 6+ hour trip!

My Ride
    '11 Titan/01 RC51

I'd say go for something like a street triple. Offers a bit of everything for comfort, power, styling

Maybe check out something like a KTM 990 SMT- supermoto handling but comfortable for long journeys.

This video sold me on it:

My Ride
    06 S2000

Originally posted by Kijho
    I had a Ninja 300, it's a fun bike for about 1 season then you definitely want more. Then I went all out and picked up a Yamaha R6 (2006) and got the full MJS + Akrapovic exhaust, tune, etc. Insanely powerful bike, lots of fun, but I couldn't ride more than a couple hours before getting pretty bad back pains. Meh, suck it up - I still rode lots, but I just found myself less and less. Sold that bike last month.

So anyways point of this is if you buy a smaller 300 I think you'll get more of it in a year. They sound and feel very dirt-bike-ish to me, especially after riding a bigger 600. They really aren't that fun on Deerfoot / Stoney etc.

If I get another bike down the road I'd really like the KTM Superduke 1290. Looks like an insanely fun bike, powerful, but could ride for a good long 6+ hour trip!
    1290 is huge. 1.3L superbike. A 690 would be good middle ground. I rode my buddies Duke 390 and hated it. It was more uncomfortable than my FZ-09, and I took way more wind to the face/chest at anything over 70.

Pretty much any of the 300/500cc bikes are great. Ninja 300, CBR300R, R3, CBR500R, etc etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by heavyfuel View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That's why I just say I have a 4" dick and lift weights to make up for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    My car sounds like shit.

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

Not really helpful, but man, why doesn't North America get the XSR700. It's such a cool bike and such a sick color. Instead we get the heavy and ugly XSR900. Sure it's quick as hell, but who cares.

click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version

I personally don't think you will have much fun on the R3, maybe your wife though. I agree with JVR1 with the street triple idea. It's a good all around bike as he said, and I'm currently looking at some options for me in that category too.

My Ride
    V8s

Originally posted by Kijho

If you use "all out" and "insanely powerful" to describe an R6, you should take a spin on a litre bike haha. I went from a ZX-6R to an R1, then ZX-10R, and they made the 600 feel like a moped

My Ride
    '10 Civic

Budget a factor ? Why not fz07?

My Ride

Originally posted by Boat
    Budget a factor ? Why not fz07?
    FZ-07 is a contender.

Been checking into a lot of the bikes people here have been posting.

My Ride
    2020 Tacoma DCSB

Originally posted by cjblair

If you use "all out" and "insanely powerful" to describe an R6, you should take a spin on a litre bike haha. I went from a ZX-6R to an R1, then ZX-10R, and they made the 600 feel like a moped
    An R6 tuned with full exhaust, quickshift, etc. compared to the stock Ninja 300, I'm sure the same feeling of contrast between what you felt from a ZX10R to a 6R. Sold my bike last month though sadly.. maybe in a couple years that KTM will be mine.

My Ride
    06 S2000

Originally posted by A790

FZ-07 is a contender.

Been checking into a lot of the bikes people here have been posting.
    I like everything about the FZ-07, except the 2cyl engine (same issue I have with most sub-600cc bikes).

It just doesn't sound as good to me. Otherwise I hear nothing but good things.
    Quote Originally Posted by heavyfuel View Post
    That's why I just say I have a 4" dick and lift weights to make up for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    My car sounds like shit.