Quantcast
Mods Voiding Warranty - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Mods Voiding Warranty

My Ride
    '19 GTI

Default Mods Voiding Warranty

I have heard mixed opinions and views on this one...

View 1:
    magnusson moss act - an aftermarket part cannot void warranty.

View 2:
    Even chipping your car or adding a cold air intake / minor mods can void your warranty.

Has anyone had any struggles with their respective car companies by adding mods to their cars? Looking to chip my car / add cold air and some other minor stuff.... Added extended warranty though (only because ford), so dont want to screw with that.

My Ride
    FJC, S30

From what I understand, aftermarket parts void only certain parts of your warranty.

Example, a cold air intake is not going to void your suspension claim but it might void your engine/power train claim. I also believe that they have to prove that the aftermarket part did the damage to the claim. Could be wrong on that one.
    Submaker.Illest.

My Ride
    G37X

I can't see how anyone can think flashing a computer can be covered by a warranty. They warranty the car under specified, tested limits. If you add 100 ft lbs torque to a 2.0 turbo or increase the rev limit to valve float, you're not getting a new engine or trans.

CAI should be fine same as catback. Don't tune/flash/chip if you're under warranty.

Even if they have to prove it, in the meantime, you have a broken car. After dealing with honda with a legit claim I got too fed up with their "system" for fixing a transmission. Basically, you take all the risk/cost during tear down. IF they decide to cover you after, you can breathe easy. That's a big IF

It's a Ford? Oh man,, don't, just don't until it's paid off and or out of warranty.
    Last edited by Hallowed_point; 04-18-2017 at 02:28 PM.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Default Re: Mods Voiding Warranty

Originally posted by swak
    I have heard mixed opinions and views on this one...

View 1:
    magnusson moss act - an aftermarket part cannot void warranty.
    View 1: Not applicable to Canada. This is a US law, and has no equivalent here.

My Ride
    G37X

Default Re: Re: Mods Voiding Warranty

Originally posted by Tik-Tok
    View 1: Not applicable to Canada. This is a US law, and has no equivalent here.

My Ride
    ...BNT0B0X...

Originally posted by That.Guy.S30
    From what I understand, aftermarket parts void only certain parts of your warranty.

Example, a cold air intake is not going to void your suspension claim but it might void your engine/power train claim. I also believe that they have to prove that the aftermarket part did the damage to the claim. Could be wrong on that one.

In the dealership world this is the general consensus. There are obvious exceptions with "OEM Performance' SVT, Mopar, dealer installed "factory upgrades" are exempt and covered by most dealers who have to ability to warranty parts and labor for them Canada wide.

And then you have "upgrades" that independent dealers will install. Cochrane Toyota (Tacoma Town) lifting a Taco, or FJ or Runner will warranty their parts and their time; but take that lifted truck to a dealer in the city and they won't warranty or touch any issues arising from the mods.

Also some dealers are far more lax in dishing out warranty repairs than others are. And I have yet to wrap my head around why even with 17 years of dealership life under my belt.
    ...@therealarifjina...

My Ride
    teslo murdel free

Never had issues at Ford when I take my car in. With my foST or fiST. Both are/were stage 3

My Ride
    G37X

Originally posted by eglove
    Never had issues at Ford when I take my car in. With my foST or fiST. Both are/were stage 3
    Is that an SVT or otherwise Ford approved upgrade?

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

Originally posted by EK 2.0

In the dealership world this is the general consensus. There are obvious exceptions with "OEM Performance' SVT, Mopar, dealer installed "factory upgrades" are exempt and covered by most dealers who have to ability to warranty parts and labor for them Canada wide.

And then you have "upgrades" that independent dealers will install. Cochrane Toyota (Tacoma Town) lifting a Taco, or FJ or Runner will warranty their parts and their time; but take that lifted truck to a dealer in the city and they won't warranty or touch any issues arising from the mods.

Also some dealers are far more lax in dishing out warranty repairs than others are. And I have yet to wrap my head around why even with 17 years of dealership life under my belt.
    Great post. Full of knowledge
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

My Ride
    teslo murdel free

Originally posted by Hallowed_point
    Is that an SVT or otherwise Ford approved upgrade?
    Most parts on the fiST are mountune - if dealer installed are covered. The foST were all cobb - not approved but they didn't seem to care. But never had anything go wrong with the car in 74,000KM. Tuned since 1,000km

My Ride
    G37X

^ Cool, but if you never had an issue then I don't see what you're getting at. Of course they are fine with mods until focus goes boom. They want to keep making $$$ for service visits.

CAI should be fine same as catback. Don't tune/flash/chip if you're under warranty.

Be careful with CAI. Google the CAI Hellcat debacle that took place in the US. Basically the supercharger bearings were bad in a bunch of Hellcats and people had the warranty denied to them because they added CAI. Some eventually got it solved by changing dealerships.
    Originally posted by InRich
    I think it should be a MINIMUM payment of 20% across the board for any kinda house. Who can't save 20% nowadays, just stop eating out, drive a japanese shit box, and save, its not hard.. have some fucking discipline. Half you niggers shouldn't even be in the houses you live in now.

we can't all drive X5Ms

My Ride
    G37X

Originally posted by 71/454
    Be careful with CAI. Google the CAI Hellcat debacle that took place in the US. Basically the supercharger bearings were bad in a bunch of Hellcats and people had the warranty denied to them because they added CAI. Some eventually got it solved by changing dealerships.
    I'll have to check that. When in doubt, don't mod it beyond wheels I guess. I've heard of Ford denying warranty for CAI on 5.0's as well.

My Ride
    05 GDB V.8 / ZX10R / T1-7L

If it's a decent dealership, it all comes down to what failed and how it failed.

I'd see tons of modded trucks back in Ford world, but would never deny anything based on just seeing a mod done.
    If a guy brought in his car with an exhaust and intake, but had a cel for evaporate code, for sure I'd put the repair through.

But if a guy came in with the same mods and a cat inefficiency code, then I'd be a little more reserved in putting that through. Here in Canada we have CANVAP, it's the mitegating party that deals with all consumer complaints, and is the Supreme Court of all warranty decisions. Most shady dealerships will bully you into a customer pay repair, because it absolves them of the responsibility of potentially having a claim rejected by the manufacturer, and also gives them better profit margins. The other side of warranty claim denials is that dealerships get audited frequently from the manufacturers, this is to keep them in check and prevent the dealer from putting in false warranty claims for profit. In these audits if the technician working on your car didn't follow protocol 100% they will get a charge back on the work performed. I have seen personally a charge back for over $400k from the manufacturer to the dealer. That makes some service departments very fickle in giving out warranty.

My advice is that; if your going to mod a car under warranty, then you better be aware of what that mod will affect on your car, both the good and the bad, you can't just go on slapping parts because you're blinded by the madd hp it's going to give you. Then be prepared to tomhave what ever break, break. If the competent is too costly or to complex for you, then keep it stock.

As mentioned though, if it's a dealer backed part, then mod away!

Originally posted by eglove

Most parts on the fiST are mountune - if dealer installed are covered. The foST were all cobb - not approved but they didn't seem to care. But never had anything go wrong with the car in 74,000KM. Tuned since 1,000km
    Are there any dealers in Calgary that will install and warranty Mountune?

My Ride
    G37X

Originally posted by RickDaTuner
    If it's a decent dealership, it all comes down to what failed and how it failed.

I'd see tons of modded trucks back in Ford world, but would never deny anything based on just seeing a mod done.
    If a guy brought in his car with an exhaust and intake, but had a cel for evaporate code, for sure I'd put the repair through.

But if a guy came in with the same mods and a cat inefficiency code, then I'd be a little more reserved in putting that through. Here in Canada we have CANVAP, it's the mitegating party that deals with all consumer complaints, and is the Supreme Court of all warranty decisions. Most shady dealerships will bully you into a customer pay repair, because it absolves them of the responsibility of potentially having a claim rejected by the manufacturer, and also gives them better profit margins. The other side of warranty claim denials is that dealerships get audited frequently from the manufacturers, this is to keep them in check and prevent the dealer from putting in false warranty claims for profit. In these audits if the technician working on your car didn't follow protocol 100% they will get a charge back on the work performed. I have seen personally a charge back for over $400k from the manufacturer to the dealer. That makes some service departments very fickle in giving out warranty.

My advice is that; if your going to mod a car under warranty, then you better be aware of what that mod will affect on your car, both the good and the bad, you can't just go on slapping parts because you're blinded by the madd hp it's going to give you. Then be prepared to tomhave what ever break, break. If the competent is too costly or to complex for you, then keep it stock.

As mentioned though, if it's a dealer backed part, then mod away!
    Totally 100% agreed. And I don't look at dealers or manufacturers as evil for getting their backs up over modded vehicles. We as tuners choose that risk.

^ Cool, but if you never had an issue then I don't see what you're getting at. Of course they are fine with mods until focus goes boom. They want to keep making $$$ for service visits.
    Was going to say the same thing, how could you have any issues with them denying warranty on a mod if you dont have an issue for them to dispute Would be hilarious if there was an issue and they denied him

Its a gamble no matter what and with an extended warranty on the vehicle i would need some major hp for me to risk it.

On a side note did inrich really post this?!?!

Originally posted by InRich
    I think it should be a MINIMUM payment of 20% across the board for any kinda house. Who can't save 20% nowadays, just stop eating out, drive a japanese shit box, and save, its not hard.. have some fucking discipline. Half you niggers shouldn't even be in the houses you live in now.

we can't all drive X5Ms

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

There are far too many variables to answer the basic question "will mods void warranty".

A better question would be "would this specific mod y to vehicle x cause a potential issue with any associated parts' warranty claim, here in Canada?"

Depends on:

- part modded
    - modded part used
    - dealer mood regarding mods
    - modded part subject to recall
    - manufacturer mood
    - vehicle specifics (eg. NISMO GTR ECU )
    - location (us/Canada)
    - what type of coffee the service rep had in the morning

Someone will recall better, but I seem to remember the RX8 engine debacle of a few years back where many dealers would deny warranty for almost any BS reason they could think of.
    Last edited by revelations; 04-19-2017 at 01:04 PM.

My Ride
    Prelude aka red rice, Lincoln Aviator

I'd be carful with the chip... I have a friend who was a mechanic at Ford for a number of years and he told me about the guys who would blow up their engines using tuners/chips (mostly diesels and Eco-boost engines) and then try to warranty them without luck. Apparently even if you were to set the vehicle back to stock settings before bringing it in they could often tell that it had been modified.

My Ride
    teslo murdel free

Guess I should expand. By no issues I meant that I never had an issue with the dealership when something went wrong. Couple ignition coils went on the focus ST. Had no problems getting them replaced while tuned and the car being heavily modified.

Rad fan wasn't kicking on on the fiesta and it was running hot / almost overheated one day. Car is heavily modified and they had no issues warrantying the faulty part.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast